SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-31-2004, 10:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to ykobayashi
Registered SVX
Accessory Belt Change

All,

I've got 54,000 miles on the clock now and I checked my accessory belts and they are starting to crack. The belts need to be changed. However, I don't have the foggiest idea as to where to start. The last car I changed belts on was a 1970 Ford Fairlane 500 and all I needed was a crowbar and wrench.

I looked at the H6 engine and its obviously more sophisticated than that. Does anyone know or have a procedure? I checked the How To Locker and there was nothing there. If anyone has any advice on how to or if there is a book that I can buy out there, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Yoshi

[B]1995 SVX L AWD - Original Owner
65k - Brilliant Red
Mods: K&N Drop In Filter, Sony aftermarket CD/MP3 Stereo and Speakers, Sumitomo HTR+ Tires

2004 Mazda 6S 5-door - Steel Grey - 5 speed manual transmission - Daily Driver

2011 Mazda CX-9 - Wife's ride
Old 08-31-2004, 10:45 PM
BoondockSVX

Pretty easy to do actually. There's a pulley that just puts tension on the belt, on the left hand side of the engine (if you're looking at the engine), kinda underneath teh power steering pump. That pulley is connected to a long threaded rod with a hex head on the end of it. First you loosen the pulley, then you crank on this threaded rod until it moves enough to remove the old belt. Reverse to install.

- Jim
Old 09-01-2004, 11:17 AM
Peach

have a belt

Getting to know your SVX is pretty much required. To do your belts don't forget your 10mm wrench or socket, a 12mm wrench and socket and a 14mm box end wrench, take off your plastic belt guard, should be two 10mm head bolts, take out the bolts from this black plastic guard, slide the guard toward the front of car and your halfway there. Like the previous post said make sure you loosen the pulley tensioner center bolt before you try to adjust tension. Good wrenchin'
Old 09-01-2004, 11:53 AM

Wow, Ford Fairlane. Wave of nostalgia. I can still smell the interiors of my Fords from days gone by ('68 Mustang and two '66 Galaxie 500s). I put over 200,000 miles on that Mustang and didn't give her up 'til '94.

Back to reality: You won't need that crowbar. I think you'll find changing the belts on the SVX easier than the old Fairlane.

dcb