How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Beldin

Key Lock Position? - 5MT Conversion

Finishing up the 5MT Conversion (Got it started tonight but still lots of odds and ends to clear up) and the key will not turn back into the lock position. Also when the car is started the shift selector in the center of the instrument panel is on R for Reverse. Is this why it will not go into lock? And how do we change it so the key can be turned to lock?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Beldin

Re: Key Lock Position? - 5MT Conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Beldin
Finishing up the 5MT Conversion (Got it started tonight but still lots of odds and ends to clear up) and the key will not turn back into the lock position. Also when the car is started the shift selector in the center of the instrument panel is on R for Reverse. Is this why it will not go into lock? And how do we change it so the key can be turned to lock?

Thanks
Any ideas, those of you that have done the conversion? With tha manual in and basically everything done how would I get it to shift back to neutral or at least get the key lock to work?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If the reverse indicator is lit up on the dash, that means that somehow, you've jumped the reverse position pins somewhere in the wiring. The solenoid on the ignition key can be set to the release position by jumping two pins on one of the plugs (under the center console) that connected to the AT shifter. There is a plug with 4 pins in line, and I believe the two inner pins need to be jumped. I'll check my notes this evening when I get home from work.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Beldin

Sweet man that would be great it that's all I have to do. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:31 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Click on the "5-speed how to write up" in my sig to see my write up, it explains how to wire the it to fix the key problem, and the "reverse Light" problem.....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 07-28-2004, 07:22 AM
Beldin

Well I am a little confused by what your saying but I need to look at it first and see what is there. It has been a while since I have looked at that wiring so I'll take a look and post any questions I may have.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 10:20 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Did you see in Huck's writeup that is the two outer pins that need to be jumped for the ignition key release solenoid?

If the reverse light indicator is lit on dash, then from my wiring diagrams, it looks like you've somehow managed to jump pin 2 to ground on plug B13 (12 pin plug) that went to the 4EAT. Either that or you've managed to ground pin 10 on 20 pin plug that went to the TCU.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Beldin

I'll keep that is mind. I just woke up, I work graves, and will be over there in a few hours to work on it. It doesn't sound too hard to do this so hopefully all goes well.