How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 11:36 PM

Question Sun Roof Removal

I was just wondering how I would go about to remove my sun roof completely off the SVX. I want to throughly clean the track and every thing else associated with it. I tried to look for directions or pictures. So if anyone has a step by step instructions & pictures, iI would a aprreciate it. Thanks
Old 06-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I do not know if any one has done this. I think the head liner has to come out of the SVX to do it. IMHO that is a pain to put back in without messing it up. I know someone posted how to do it a long time ago.

I have used Q-tips to clean the track, long tweezers to reach in far and the same stuff to lubricate it with silicone grease. The rear part of the sun roof that slides inside the roof top is the part that makes it stick. Cleaning the felt by scraping it with a flat blunt object helps alot to get the dirt out, also cleaning the stationary part of the roof that it slides against.

Don't forget to wear sunscreen.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sunroof removal

It's a piece of cake to remove the sliding metal sunroof. First run the S/R backabout 6", now CAREFULLY pry down on the sunroof headliner, it is being held in place with 6 push-pins, the front row of 3 push-pins are 2" back from the leading edge and 3.4" in from the outer edge, the center pin is 2.25" back. The second row of push-pins is 3.5" in from the sides, the outers are 6.25" back and the center is 6.5" back. The trailing edge is supported with 3 clips, the center one with a locating pin to make it easier to reinstall. The reason I listed the pin locations, is if you know where they are, there is less chance to rip the thin pressboard.
Now the sunroof headliner is wiggled out of the way, you can clearly see the 6 nuts ( I forget what size, but probably 12mm ) that hold it in. Tom
Old 06-08-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks

Thanks for your tips. I am probably going to attempt this, sometime this weekend. Along with installing my new Power Window Switch for my drivers side. Thanks again
Old 06-09-2004, 04:42 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

Were you asking about removing the sunroof panel or the entire track mechanism for cleaning?

SVXfiles gave you the method for removing the panel. The track mechanism (with the panel) can be removed in it's entirety, but you would have to remove the headliner.

It's not hard, but it would take the better part of a day to remove it, clean it, and re-install it. There are a lot of trim pieces.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM

Sun Roof Removal

Just follow the instructions listed by svxfiles, it is "A Piece Of Cake"!

Here are his instructions = It's a piece of cake to remove the sliding metal sunroof. First run the S/R backabout 6", now CAREFULLY pry down on the sunroof headliner, it is being held in place with 6 push-pins, the front row of 3 push-pins are 2" back from the leading edge and 3.4" in from the outer edge, the center pin is 2.25" back. The second row of push-pins is 3.5" in from the sides, the outers are 6.25" back and the center is 6.5" back. The trailing edge is supported with 3 clips, the center one with a locating pin to make it easier to reinstall. The reason I listed the pin locations, is if you know where they are, there is less chance to rip the thin pressboard.
Now the sunroof headliner is wiggled out of the way, you can clearly see the 6 nuts ( I forget what size, but probably 12mm ) that hold it in. Tom

PS. The nuts are 10mm, Big Deal!"
Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Wow. That was 3 years ago. I hope he doesn't still need those directions!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC