SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-08-2004, 07:49 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Quote:
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed

Used to use a cleaner, CHEM-TOOL, I believe it was toulene.

How is xylene easier on the engine?
Or stated another way,
Is toluene hard on the engine?
I'm not certain what the exact processes are, but toulene tends to dry out plastic and rubber more than xylene. very rarely is it elaborated on. I've used both many times across several cars, and they seem to work pretty much the same. I always see more cautions associated with toulene than xylene. I know it's more toxic, and just generally nastier stuff and that's enough for me to not want to deal with it. that's also why you can't find toulene at chain hardware stores like home depot or lowes. too nasty for them to want to deal with. Paint shops like "bob's discount paint supply" is a good place to get toulene. but again, I reccommend xylene. it's easier to get, anyways.

either way, put a little tranny fluid in your tank. a couple "glugs" worth out of a quart container. then wash it down teh funnel with your solvent of choice.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 AM

Toluene (small amounts of which I believe are present in most gasoline ) is abused by "huffers" and thus may not be easy to find. In the late 60s many stores moved toluene-containing model kit glue behind the counter and sold it only to adults. Vile stuff.

dcb
Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 AM
0h n0es!

Darwin will make short work of anyone huffing toulene.

-IggDawg

4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k
Old 06-08-2004, 04:10 PM
tancred

In the gumball 3000 video i have the guy does 1/2 a tank of 93 then the rest with paint thinner for his skyline...LOL...but then he goes on to talk how he has a fuel pump off a F-15 or some ****...the most we ever did was 4 walbro's in a tank.......heh.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:11 PM
tancred

I heard also that you have to reset your ECU for the ECU to read new octane, or calibrate for new octane...

Dunno tho..
Old 06-08-2004, 04:17 PM
0h n0es!

It only takes a little distance for the ECU to learn the new settings. old values are constantle being overwritten, so it just takes a little while for the memory to overwrite itself. no need to reset.

-IggDawg

Old 06-15-2004, 12:31 PM

Registered SVX
California MTBE

Quote:
Originally posted by IggDawg

I'm not certain what the exact processes are, but toulene tends to dry out plastic and rubber more than xylene. very rarely is it elaborated on. I've used both many times across several cars, and they seem to work pretty much the same. I always see more cautions associated with toulene than xylene. I know it's more toxic, and just generally nastier stuff and that's enough for me to not want to deal with it. that's also why you can't find toulene at chain hardware stores like home depot or lowes. too nasty for them to want to deal with. Paint shops like "bob's discount paint supply" is a good place to get toulene. but again, I reccommend xylene. it's easier to get, anyways.

either way, put a little tranny fluid in your tank. a couple "glugs" worth out of a quart container. then wash it down teh funnel with your solvent of choice.
Okay!

Got the Xylonol at True Value, $9 gallon. Ready with funnel, BUT!

Is there a potential problem in adding xylene to fuels containing MTBE?? Certainly this subject was covering somewhere in your search?

Is MTBE added to your fuel in Maine?

I am ready to pour, but thought that I must ask about MTBE

Thanks for sharing, after 125,000 miles and a decade on the road, my '92 certainly could use this.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:45 PM

Registered SVX
xylene

I did it.

Ran tank of California oxy. gas to nearly empty on trip to Reno for SVX meet. Filled with 2 gallons of xylene, 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil and non-oxy Nevada gas. By the time I got back to California, tank was used.

It ran great, got 23 mpg with myself and three sons. 23 is good for me, especially the way I drive.

I'll see if I notice any smoother idle, running or mpg changes and will post if I do.

Thanks IggDawg!
Old 12-22-2004, 07:46 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I was searching for the use of toulene because of my hesitation problems. Ive been thinking about dumping some into the tank for a while now to clean the injectors out. So after i fill up my tank how much toulene should i add?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Exclamation

Do be careful using this stuff.

<<

The following chemicals are known or suspected carcinogens. This list has been compiled from a number of sources, but it is not (and cannot be) comprehensive.

Toluene diisocyanate
p-toluenesulphonic acid
ortho-Toluidine
ortho-Toluidine hydrochloride
para-Toluidine

>>

These are toluene compounds, not strictly Toluene, but you catch my drift.

Also see
Toluene data

You would be most at risk from getting it on your skin, or by inhaling it.

In particular, if you put it into your tank in large amounts, be sure you are nowhere near your exhaust until the cats are up to temperature and doing their job. Likewise if you have it in your tank, don't do the "winter thing", heat your car up from cold in a closed garage. You are sure to spew toluene fumes into the garage before the cats heat up.

BE CAREFUL.

Having said all that, I will try it myself. Just be careful of the fumes in enclosed places, OK?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
I was searching for the use of toulene because of my hesitation problems. Ive been thinking about dumping some into the tank for a while now to clean the injectors out. So after i fill up my tank how much toulene should i add?
Soobie, don't do it that way, it won't mix well.

Put a gallon in the tank when nearly empty, and then fill up immediately with gas.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-22-2004, 09:47 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
1 gallon for a full tank is good.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Almost forgot about doing this...might have to give it a try. I may even do it for the dyno runs.....

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-22-2004, 11:41 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
May not help for the dyno runs. My experience was that my car is faster w/o the toluene, but after the toluene was through the motor, the car did seem to run more smoothly.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
May not help for the dyno runs. My experience was that my car is faster w/o the toluene, but after the toluene was through the motor, the car did seem to run more smoothly.
Hmmm. Ok, might just run some to clean it out then.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock