How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-31-2004, 10:18 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

CV Joints

I am pretty sure i need to replace my CV joints. How expensive is it to change it? I have to set up an appointment at our local Subaru dealership sometime this week. Keep in mind that the labor rate is 80 dollars an hour.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Crash

cv joint replacement

Tools: Breaker bar, 19mm impact grade socket, 1/8 inch punch, 32mm?? impact grade socket. tire iron, coat hanger to hold up caliper. All of which you can rent, except hanger. It is an easy project but takes a couple hours. It does not require much thought. The easiest way imo is to mark the top bolt (it is eccentric and controls alignment) on the wheel/strut connection to make sure it goes back at the same point. All the other little things you can figure out or pm me. I did one myself and would have been easier knowing what I do now. Feel free to pm me. I definitely recommend doing it yourself if you don't mind getting greasy to save a lot of money.

Crash
Old 06-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
This is a pretty easy project. If you are willing to do it yourself, and don't run into any problems, it shouldn't take more than 1 hour per side. You shouldn't need to change the alignment. I wouldn't disconnect the strut. All you need to do is take off the axle nut and drop the ball joint. Then removal and installation is a breeze. Getting the drift pin in can sometimes be a pain. If you are willing to spend a little extra cash and get a good product, go with www.raxles.com

They are about 150/side, but are very high quality.

The Subaru replacement will be far more expensive. I don't think they would charge more than 2 hours labor per side.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-01-2004, 09:05 AM

Well i know alot about cars and stuff but i haven't done any work on it myself. I am always too afraid to mess something up. I would love to do it myself but i dont have the proper tools here to do so. I am assuming that autozone would have everything i need. How expensive do you think the tools are? and if i took it to Subaru how much do you think they would charge?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
You are probably looking at ~$500 from a dealer (per side). This includes the $330 Subaru Axle.

Another option is to buy the part yourself and have a local repair shop do it. Dealerships aren't always the best option. The job is pretty run-of-the-mill as far as cv replacements go. The only thing you have to make sure of is proper removal and installation of the axle nut so they don't destroy your bearings. Also make sure a new axle nut is used.

If you don't have any tools and you are unsure of yourself, this is probably not the best job to start working on your car with. Start with easy things like oil, brakes, etc. Then work your way up.

The cheapest, and probably best option is to go to a local shop with your parts. Just make sure they are a good place to go and know what they are doing. You shouldn't have any trouble.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-01-2004, 09:25 AM
mark10t

First of all- you DON'T want to repair/replace just the CV joint (That's a really UGLY job!). You want to replace the whole axle with a 're-manufactured' axle which includes new CV joint components and new boots on both ends. Shouldn't cost much more than $100. for the axle (less the 'core' charge for the old axle)- you might even find an axle for as little as $60-80.

Doing it yourself is about a 1/2-1 hr. job for an experienced do-it-yourselfer and maybe a 1-3 hr. job for the 'rookie'.

Good Luck.

-Mark
Old 06-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Ok so i think i will take your advice and get the parts and go to a local shop with them. Now i need someone to tell me where to get the parts from and what exactly i should get. I would hate to order the wrong part if ya know what i mean.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:27 AM

I got new (genuine Subaru) driveshafts for free from the dealer, when I bought my SVX (11000skr ~ $800 worth)

The only thing was that I had to replace them myself, I did that in my garage in 1 (one!) hour, both sides, and I'm NOT a Subaru mechanic ..... soo, if anyone is charging you for MORE than one hour, ask them if the time included LUNCH too ....!!

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***