Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-20-2003, 01:59 PM

Do I need a new steering rack? And what about upgrading the rack bushings?

This topic was started in another thread but i thought I had better start a new thread for it:

In regards to my steering: The steering does not vibrate when steering, but the area where my boots are, appears to be leaking. The boots are covered in fluid but I don't see and drip spots when I park my car. In fact one boot is completely torn all the way around and seperated from the other half.

So the question is, should I order a whole new rack?

Also, has anyone ever replaced the bushings with aluminum or higher grade rubber? Because I've heard that this might increase the steering response, under the same principal of urethane sway bar endlink bushings.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:46 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I think you can just do the boots. When I did mine, I got a reman rack (from the dealer) and the whole thing ran me about 500 bucks including labour.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:27 PM
6evil9

jack up the car, start turning the wheel by small amount(say 5 cm each way) left/right but rather fast, if u hear the clicking then ur ball joint is bad (better to do with 2 ppl: 1 to turn the wheel, 1 to be around the joint and make sure it clicks from there)

if so then u go to my post and join me

its the problem i have now

if anyone knows how to take the steering rack out pls tell me in my post (URGENT: steering rack problem)

(sorry for interupting ur post curlykicker)
Old 11-21-2003, 11:59 AM
MarXVS

Gee, I think the other power steering thread might have been mine. So here's some further details for comparison.

Initially I wondered how I could have a leak when I didn't have drips on the driveway either. There was fluid inside my boot too. I can't answer the question about replacing your rack but I do know the rack has 2 integrated metal lines going to it and if the leak is in one of those (like mine) then you probably will have to replace the rack.

Keep in mind, the visible fluid on those parts is coming from somewhere, so it's probably better to find out before it becomes a side-of-the-highway issue. As stated in other places, you do not want to lose power steering in this car. It is extremely hard to deal with. I was just getting onto the highway and accelerating when I could tell it had gone. Very quickly I could barely steer and turning was a real effort.

If you need a rack, get a rebuilt one it's about 1/4 the cost of a new one. (4 - 500 rather than close to 2000 - in my area)
Old 11-21-2003, 03:06 PM

Transmission cooling hoses come above the steering rack on the drivers side. They tend to leak. It is the same ATF in the rack and in transmission, so you can't tell by color/smell.
Check the transmission lines - if they are dry, then the leak is from the rack. If the rack is leaking, the best is to replace it (you can find a remanufactured one with lifetime warranty).
Old 11-25-2003, 12:09 AM

Ok thanks, I'll check for a leak.