Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-02-2003, 12:48 AM
sleepysvx

New owner-advice on tranny...

Hello,
I've only had my 92 svx for about 10 days or so. The previous owner said the tranny was going, that there was a brief hesitation in Reverse gear. It has all stock parts, but I am going to install the aftermarket cooler, and a new external filter...I think it shifts great, very smooth, but sometimes there is a very small delay going in reverse...So my question is...do you think I should bet on the tranny being replaced soon...or do you think there might be some life left in her? Oh, I will also get a flush, with redline atf put in, and I will have the new cooler bypass the radiator, which seems to be what must people are saying to me...Thanks for any input!! Sean
Old 09-02-2003, 05:44 AM
Hater

if a cooler and filter can get you some more time for less than $100, i think its worth it. besides, they would still be there to protect any new tranny you put in, too. cheap insurance.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-02-2003, 03:11 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

New Owner- tranny

Personally I wouldn't suggest flushing the tranny. You don't know the history of the changes for it so it is entirely possible that you will do more damage by having it flushed then you would by running with the old fluid. Just change it once, drive it then change it again. You'll get at least 3/4 of the fluid changed this way and it won't do any more damage then is already in there.

Also, when I went to syth fluid for mine I did not go with Redline for 2 reasons.
1. I couldn't find anything saying it was compatable with other ATFS (i.e. what's in the car now and you won't get out).
2. I couldn't find independently verified test showing its flash/fire points or its -40 degree viscosity. Two things which are very important according to Subaru.

I went with Mobil One Synth which actually is indie verified with higher flash/fire points than Redline lists in their own website., its fairly cheap. $5 a quart at Autozone, $6 at pep boys and it is compatable with any other Dex III set up.

Oh yeah, most importantly congrats on your SVX!
Old 09-03-2003, 02:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Here's an important question - what made the previous owner think that the tranny was on its way out? I wouldn't suspect it just because of a brief pause before engaging reverse.

More typically, the first symptom is a flare or 'braking' when shifting to third.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-04-2003, 01:08 AM
sleepysvx

Hello,
Thanks for all the good advice...I will use Mobil One for the atf...As far as what the previous owner said...she just felt like the tranny had about 6 months left on it...so far I have noticed only the slight pause before reverse..nothing else in other gears...it's very smooth to me, but this is my first Svx..so maybe i don't know any better....? I don't know too much history on the car..besides a timing belt replaced at 99,000 miles. I know if it has had a tranny flush yet...I was told if I switch to synthetic, and condition before the flush, I will be okay? Well I guess I should be cautious, as I want to keep the car in the best possible shape! Anyway I love this car, and I can see why eveyone here feels the same way!! sean
Old 09-04-2003, 02:08 PM

Can you measure the delay of going in reverse with a stop watch?
Fully warm up the transmission first (~ 20 minutes of driving),
put your foot on brake, engine at idle, measure time from N to R
and from N to D.

Forward range should engage faster, in about 1 sec, reverse slower, around 1.6 sec if my memory serves me right.

There is no reliable way to tell whether the transmission is going to die in 6 months or a year.

The timing test is a good indication whether you have normal ATF pressure at idle and somewhat an indication of clutch disk wear (worn disks require more travel - more time).

Low pressure is destructive to the tranny and should be rectified ASAP, worn clutches are there to stay until a full rebuild.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:47 AM
sleepysvx

Hmm,
You know the times you gave me seem really close to the actual time I've seen in the car so far...Reverse is about 1.8 sec maybe..unless there is the delay, then it might be 3 sec...Right now I am trying to hunt down the external filter, as my local dealer is out, and only found one at a New York dealership...One thing I was thinking..maybe you could tell my what you think? If I bought a '97 model radiator and replaced my 92 one, would that be a good move? I've heard the last year or two had an upgraded, more improved unit...Oh, and also my car has 124,000 miles, and from what the last owner said, it still is one the first tranny....
Old 09-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Don't get the stock trans filter - go with PermaCool's set up - cheaper and more filter area...

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-05-2003, 02:43 PM

My car has a delay when i go from park to drive or park to reverse or reverse to drive or drive to reverse.....no big deal. Most Subarus do this.