How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2003, 12:41 PM
clarkerussell

Shocks!

OK, I think it's time to replace my shocks. What are my non-stock options, or should I just go ahead and buy the stock ones? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Struts

Koni's- about the same price a stock but no longer made hard to find unless you can get a bunch of orders for them to do 'em again.

Autozone sells 'em but they are more than what you'd pay from a dealership and if I remember correctly someone who bought from 'em said they actually are from the dealer.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:28 PM
clarkerussell

Stock...

I just noticed that Stock parts are relatively cheap... About $95 each... Should the strut mounts be replaced at the same time?
Old 06-23-2003, 04:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Could you do me a favour and give me a full run down when your new shocks are fitted.

I am interested in why you feel the need for replacing them, how the ride is new/old and how braking distances, handling characteristics are changed with the new. Also how many miles the old shocks had coveredover how many years.

If you have the time, before you fit the new shocks, could you test them with a spring balance to measure extension time over a set load, and then compare with the old ones when removed.

This is a little thing that I am looking into at the moment.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 06-23-2003, 05:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Could you do me a favour and give me a full run down when your new shocks are fitted.

I am interested in why you feel the need for replacing them, how the ride is new/old and how braking distances, handling characteristics are changed with the new. Also how many miles the old shocks had coveredover how many years.

If you have the time, before you fit the new shocks, could you test them with a spring balance to measure extension time over a set load, and then compare with the old ones when removed.

This is a little thing that I am looking into at the moment.

Thanks
This would be great info to see.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-23-2003, 06:26 PM
EverclearAtMSU

I just replaced my fronts w/ OEM, $85 a side. I only replaced one mount, because it was blown out, the other side was fine.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:00 PM
clarkerussell

Just fronts?

Did you do all 4, or just the front? Also, is there a way to check the condition of a strut mount without removing it from the car? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 06-23-2003, 09:32 PM
EverclearAtMSU

i knew mine was blow out, because when i put my car on the lift, the strut didn't stay connected to the car, just kinda fell out lol.

look for deep cracks in the rubber, or holes, ect. sometimes it'll look fine from where you can see it, but be bad where you cant see it.

We always order the mounts when ever we do them, just in case one is bad, we've got them. Sometimes use them, sometimes dont. But you have to have them all the way off inorder to do a proper inspection.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:35 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Shocks!

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, I think it's time to replace my shocks. What are my non-stock options, or should I just go ahead and buy the stock ones? Thanks in advance.
Koni's are about the only proven non-stock option. When you include the cost to install Koni's (they are welded into the stock strut bodies), the price is much higher than stock.

If you live in a place where roads are salted, the rear strut mounts are likely to be rusted all to hell. The mechanism seems remain in good shape though despite the rust. The rear upper spring seat has a metal insert that will likely also be rusted all to hell. The front strut mount doesn't seem to rust, but the bearing in the mount can become notchy over time, and the rubber can fatigue and apparently fail.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.