How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-17-2003, 03:45 PM
gcookaustin

Can the AWD be temporarily "locked"?

No one responded to my earlier AWD question, so I figured I'd try a different approach Is it possible to temporarily lock the AWD into a full-time 50/50 split? I had read that by duty solenoid C not having power, that it would be locked into 50/50. Is there an easy way to do this on purpose? The reason I'm asking is because on snow it's probably not good for the AWD to be kicking on and off all the time, and would like it to not make that light "thunk" feel a hundred times as I go up icy hills.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2003, 05:37 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yes the AWD can be engaged by inserting a switch into the wire that provides power to solenoid 'C". Turning off the switch puts the car in 50/50 AWD. I have it located under my dash.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:08 AM
CGLathrop

Hmm

Interesting mod.. Couple of questions for you..

How did you find the correct wire?
Have you had any problems?

Just curious..
Chris
Old 01-18-2003, 11:38 AM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Yes the AWD can be engaged by inserting a switch into the wire that provides power to solenoid 'C". Turning off the switch puts the car in 50/50 AWD. I have it located under my dash.
Wow, that's some smart thinkin' I'm also awaiting your reply as to where the wire is located...is it a heavy-gauge wire?
Old 01-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

When I got the car I was not aware the RWD was not working. When I had the transfer press checked, there wasn't any. The guy at the tarnny shop, whom I trust, said that it was an electrical problem. So I figured I had better check it.

Using the SM I dropped the ECU and TCU and then found the Wire For the 'C solenoid". Yes it's a heavy wire. All the solenoid wires come into one connector on the back of the TCU. There all heavy wire. I checked out the voltage and behavor of the TCU and it was fine. The voltage to "C" dropped when the throttle opened up like it's suppose to. I went back to the guy to ask him to fix it but he did not want to mess with it. Subaru wanted to a whole trans R7R.

I cut the wire, stripped it and then added leads, twisting them into the stripped wires and shrunk tubeing with a heat gun. All this was a pain to do as the wires and connectors and TCU are under the dash. I got a nice little switch from Radio Shack and shut it off.

I did all of this to see if I could get the RWD to work. After about 3 days the RWD started to work but with a flip of the switch to remake contact and shut it off, the transfer valve stuck shut for good. After that I changed the transfer valve myself.

I have not had the desire to drive around in full time AWD since I fixed it. So I have not flipped the switch. When my trans starts to go I will most likely give it a try.

With the wheels in full time 50/50 the drive train will bind up. This will put added stress on the axles, tranny, and propellor shaft. Driving around on pavement making tight turns is not going to be good for all those parts. The transfer clutch is not going to slip at all. Now on sand, gravel, dirt or snow that would be a fun thing.

The transfer valve is always in motion. The voltage to "C" normally modulates. It cycles alot, I don't know how much, lets say 30Hz. I think all this motion is what can wear out the valve. However Subaru has changed the design to the one used in the Legacy after 93 and for parts replacements.