Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
should CV axle have any play in it once installed?

02 hyundai sonata. Car shudders at 60 mph, ONLY under accelerator load (no gas pedal, no shudder). I have replaced a pile of items, but nothing has fixed it. most of the items replaced needed replacing anyways.

Bad front wheel bearing replaced
all brakes replaced
front tires replaced & balanced
4 way alignment done

all of this definitely needed to be done, but didn't stop the shudder!

Replaced the drivers side axle (didn't look broken), b/c Mike here as well as many many online sources pointed to the inner axle as being a big culprit for this. This made sense to me to, as it only happens under engine load, so its drivetrain right?

It didn't stop the shudder. Now, it COULD be my passenger one..but after replacing my first item that didn't actually need to be done, I am hesitant to do it again!

I climbed under the car. grabbing ahold of the passenger axle, I can knock it around a little bit towards the front and rear of the car. Is this play supposed to be there? Its kind of like the play you feel in the tire when a wheel bearing is bad.

The passenger side of the car also has a 'differential bearing' or 'front carrier bearing'. Most online places say that vibration isn't the normal symptom of the bearing though...

SO, should I have been able to move my passenger axle like that?

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Registered SVX
Re: should CV axle have any play in it once installed?

no. a little bit of play is usually fine but if you can wiggle it around pretty good then there is too much. you can slide the axle out of the trans and see if the output shaft or carrier on the trans has play or if it is in the axle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: