How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to karmaken
St Michaels Concours d'Elegance 2010 pictures and stories

I know this is an unusual post for this forum. But my goal in writing this is to share the experience and hopefully inspiring some of us to branch out and attend such a show. They are all around us. If you are somewhere on the East Coast between NY and Virginia, this show in particular, is a great trip.

The 2010 St Michaels Concours d'Elegance was a great show. IMHO, it's the finest concours on the east coast. There are only 50 prewar cars on the field, situated right on the water. So you have Pebble Beach quality cars with out the crowds or the cost. If you live anywhere in between NY and Virginia, this is a worthwhile trip. The area is beautiful, the weather can be fantastic.

http://stmichaelsconcours2010.org/?g...FVVx5QodbFiB2Q

Well, since I got to bed Saturday night at 1 am and woke up at 4:30am, I was a bit tired. The wife forced me to attend a very fun wedding on Saturday. I would have preferred spending the whole weekend but that was not to be.

I got to St Michaels around 6:30 and the field started to load starting at 7. It was a bit drizzly but not raining. This didn't scare any of the cars from the field. There were some tarps out. This was my first invitation to judge at St Michaels and I was very excited to be a part of the show. The judges meeting was held at the Inn at Perry Cabin at 8 am. That is one first class place. Very nice food and very expensive rooms. http://www.perrycabin.com/web/omic/i...FZpN5Qod7WH-0g

We had some great judges on the field. Look up some of these names, Ken Gross, Dr Paul Sable and Dave kinney to name a few. Some Pebble Beach veterans as well as Amelia Island and every other major concours in the US. I hope to get to judge at both those events some day.

I had the American Open Class 1924 to 1932. Our cars included

1931 Cadillac, 8, 355A, Conv. Coupe, Fleetwood Charles B. Gillet, Baltimore, Maryland (this was our class winner)
For 1931, the Cadillac was longer and lower than the 1930 model. Both Fisher and Fleetwood bodies were offered, with Fleetwood being the premium offering. In 1931 Cadillac purchased the Fleetwood coachbuilder in Fleetwood, Pennsylvania and relocated the company to Detroit. Production of all Fleetwood bodied Cadillacs reached 5,733 vehicles in 1931. This Convertible Coupe sat on a 134” wheelbase and produced 135 h.p. from its V8 engine.

[

[

1932 Cadillac, 8, 355 B, Conv. Coupe, Fisher Millard Young, Piedmont, Alabama
This black beauty underwent a complete restoration recently by Al Prueitt & Sons. There were only 2,693 total 355 B models produced in 1932, and very few convertible coupes. The eight cylinder models produced 115 h.p. 1932 was the lowest production year of the Depression Era. This automobile has received a Senior First Place CCCA award, and has been shown at Amelia Island, Florida and the Meadowbrook Concours in Michigan.

1924 Dodge, touring David M. Berkey, Crownsville, Maryland Only two owners from new; has had a complete restoration. In talking to the owner, he found the car in the NYTimes classifieds. It was parked 35 years previous with only 9000 miles. He bought the car from the previous owner's son, restored it then had the son come back to get a tearful remembranced filled ride in the Dodge.

1929 Duesenberg J-147, Convertible, Murphy Robert Perry, Birmingham, Alabama
The “J” Series was produced from 1929 through 1937. The total production of J Series was 481. The original owner was H. Leslie Atlas of CBS. Murphy only built 60 of the body styles during J production. This car was restored in 2009 by Al Prueitt & Sons. It was shown at the Amelia Island Concours.

This Duesenberg had an amazing history. Beginning life with LeBaron Sweep Panel Phaeton coachwork, this particular short wheelbase example (chassis no. 2168, engine no. J-147) was purchased new on July 9th 1929 by H. Leslie Atlass. A battery maker turnedradio pioneer whose WBBM-AM station had become affiliated to CBS in 1928, he and his brother Ralph received a $265,000 windfall the following year when the broadcasting giant purchased a 67\% stake in their company. Retained as WBBM general manager but relocated to premises within the magnificent Wrigley Building, H. Leslie Atlass celebrated his new found status in Chicago society by acquiring the Model J - a position he would consolidate in 1933 when he was named Vice-President of CBS’s Central Section. Perhaps inevitably Atlass came to the attention of fellow Duesenberg owner, Philip Knight Wrigley (son of William Wrigley Junior founder of both the family’s chewing gum empire and the Wrigley Building). Born in 1894, the two were further united by a love of jazz. WBBM was the first station in the USA to adopt a jazz format and had featured Jimmie Wade’s Moulin Rouge Orchestra as part of its opening-day broadcast (it went onto play more African-American jazz during the 1920s than any other Chicago station). Possibly enamoured of the more commodious four- / five-seater accommodation offered by his friend’s LeBaron Sweep Panel Phaeton bodywork, PK Wrigley convinced Atlass to swap it for the Murphy Convertible Coupe coachwork (body no. 821) that his own Duesenbergwore (chassis no. 2177, engine no. J-121). Believed to have taken place in 1930, this must have been one of the earliest Model J body switches ever performed (though, quite why the two men did not just swap ignition keys remains a mystery).

1929 Ford, Model A, Pick-up, Roadster Gale Petronis, Royal Oak, Maryland
In the year of the Stock Market Crash of 1929, Ford Motor Company manufactured 1,715,100 cars and trucks; this is no wonder, given that the price of this Ford new was $445, $30 less than the hardtop model. This wonderful example has been fully restored and is always a crowd pleaser.

1929 Cadillac, Model 341, Sport Phaeton, Fisher Byron L. Alsop, Oak Hill, Virginia This Cadillac was delivered new to the original owner in March 1929. It has won numerous awards including First Place at Ault Park and the CCCA 2010 Grand Nationals in Kansas City. The current owner had just purchased the car at the Atlantic City Auctions last year.

[

Pretty cool cars with some interesting provenance. The rain held off and the sun sort of came out. As you'll see through out my posts, we had some wonderful cars on the field. The rain held off till the show was over.

I'll continue the story later.

regards

ken
Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: St Michaels Concours d'Elegance 2010 pictures and stories

Did anybody drive their car there?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Did anybody drive their car there?
An interesting if not pointed question. As the owner of the 24 Dodge related, he was driving his car to a show within an hour of his home. He found it so nerve wracking to be in with modern traffic. At one point a cop stopped him for going so slow. He then felt safer trailering his car to shows. Some of the others have had 100,000 plus restoration jobs done on them and the risk of damage is too great as well as the monetary risk of some yahoo leaning out of his car with his cell phone to take a picture drifting over towards the car.

So yes, many of the cars were trailered to the event. Personally, I wouldn't want to take many of these cars down 495. Several folks came from Alabama as well as Ohio to share their cars with us. In my view, I thank these guys for taking the time and effort to share their cars with us. Its a very expensive hobby but also one that the wealthier are getting back into as far as investing. They aren't making any more Type 57 Bugattis so their value should continue to increase at a rate that meets if not exceeds stocks. So you have to be very careful with your investments. Risking them on the open road is a very tricky option.

But to further answer your question, a number of the cars did participate in the 50 jaunt thru st Michaels the day before. The Norths did drive their 3 wooden skiff cars to the show. The Petronis's did as well. It did help that they lived within 20 miles of the grounds.

regards

ken
Old 10-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Great pictures of great cars Ken, thanks.
I had a 46 model Ford Lincoln V12 Sedan. Power windows.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:

Can somebody make us some H6 pedals?

These pics are great. I love the detail shot on the '29 Duesenberg. It's gotta have a salvage title after that little swap in 1930. I wonder if that shows up on it's carfax. That is some cool, unique provenance.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
Can somebody make us some H6 pedals?

These pics are great. I love the detail shot on the '29 Duesenberg. It's gotta have a salvage title after that little swap in 1930. I wonder if that shows up on it's carfax. That is some cool, unique provenance.
That deal had to have happened at a bar or involving alcohol. What a bunch of nuts! We debated at length about provenance and came to the conclusion that a documented in period swop added to the story and maintained its stature as a very well storied Duesenberg. It ended up taking one of the specialized awards home.

The owner specifically pointed out the gas cap as a poignent reminder of just how beautiful yet well engineered these cars were. The car even had a lever right under the driver that opened up a set of cut outs for when he wanted more power.

regards

ken
Old 10-03-2010, 08:34 AM

It interesting that this show is only pre-war. I wonder how long they can keep it in that format. You would think that at some point, they will run out of participants. But I've got to tell you, the first 4 years they have had spectacular fields. I love seeing all that rare iron. The craftsmenship and ingenuity was just exploding in the transition from the horseless carriage to the automobile. Engineering was just off the hook.

What really got me on this vein was the 1914 Locomobile that I first judged at Radnor back in 2006. Here is the description out of the judges sheet: 1914 Locomobile Berline Limousine, Kellner Bill Alley, Greensboro, Vermont
This Locomobile is a one-off automobile with French coachwork by Kellner and is the only surviving example of this model. It stands nearly eight feet tall. The original owner was from a prominent family in Illinois. The T-head six-cylinder engine delivered 63 horsepower from its 504 cubic inch displacement…quite a feat for its time. Among its many custom features
are Tiffany lamps and French upholstery. Its many Best in Show and People’s Choice awards include: Amelia Island, Hilton Head, Greenwich, and Pebble Beach.

What I found particularly compelling, besides the fact that it was an 8 foot tall parlour on wheels, has a 504 cubic inch motor, the car has air suspension! Who knew that such technology was available back in the day. That's what got me thinking about producing a car show that puts these vehicles in perspective technically, socially and economically. There is not much new in automotive technology today. So much comes from the technological developments from the turn of the century onward.

The owner was telling me that he had nearly 1000 hours in the interior which features Tiffany fixtures.

Here is the front left air suspension

504 cubic inches of pure 63 hp!

]

It just amazed me that this level of comfort and technology was dated to 1914.

regards

ken
Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 PM

1938 Delage, DB-120S, Aerosport Coupe, Letourneur & Marchand

This car blew me away when it entered onto the show grounds. The sun was just poking above the bay and this car graced the gravel entrance.

Heres the description:

1938 Delage, DB-120S, Aerosport Coupe, Letourneur & Marchand Jown W. Rice Sr., Pottsville, Pennsylvania This rare Delage carries one of the finest and most elegant bodies ever to grace a Delage. It was displayed at the 1938 Paris Salon. The eight cylinder engine has inline overhead valves and the 4.75 liter block delivers 120 h.p. This sporty and elegant coupe spent most of its life in Europe until 1988 when it was offered at the Sotheby’s Automobile Auction in Geneva. It was purchased by the Blackhawk Collection in Danville, California. Shortly thereafter, Blackhawk restored it to the highest standards. In 2008, it was purchased by the current owner and resides in the John W. Rich Collection of Pennsylvania. It has won numerous awards including “Best in Class” at Ocean Reef in Florida in 2009.

I can't remember specifically which award this took home.

regards

ken
Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM

1931 Franklin, Series 153 Deluxe, Custom Concept Sedan

This was the first car that loaded on to the field at St Michaels. It wasn't a big classic like the duesy and some of the big boys. However, it was a very unique, one off car with really interesting lines. I really dug the twin trunk doors.

1931 Franklin, Series 153 Deluxe, Custom Concept Sedan, Walker
Carol & Tom Kidd, Zionsville, Pennsylvania
This one-off air-cooled six cylinder Franklin has coachwork by the Walker Body Company and was created for exhibit at the 1931 New York Automobile Salon. The design was very futuristic for its time and one of the first “Concept” automobiles to explore the evolution of automotive design. The cost new was $8,750. This Franklin was in the Bill Harrah Collection where it was restored in the original Art Deco colors. This special Franklin has been shown at Pebble Beach, and was judged “Most Elegant Closed Car” at Greenwich. It was also presented with an Artist Design award at Radnor Hunt.

]

regards

ken
Old 10-08-2010, 08:08 PM

woody!

I don't know nutin' about no wooden boats. But what I do know is that the examples onsite at the St Michaels concours were spectacular.

I thought that trying to keep my 64 Lincoln on the road was alot of work. Think about a vintage wooden boat that gets wet...

If you have any knowledge about any of these boats, please share. The first 3 pictures were of a boat that was out of this world. I love the cockpit.

regards

ken
These first 3 images are of Jim Grundy's Riva Aquarama. It's first owner was Briget Bardot. The Kitten is original and wears her original varnish. It probably has aged a bit better then Briget.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Nice pictures! I always enjoy your pictures. I need to get back out to Burtonsville before the cold weather comes. Maybe I'll stop by tomorrow.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 AM

the last woody

Yeah, I've been meaning to get out to the donut shop as well. Should be great weather and good turnout for it.

If I go, I'll be in my svx.

cheerz!

The third and most recently complete project is the 39 Rolls Royce Wraith with Loweree and Todd coachwork in Peruvian walnut. The Wraith is unique even among these cars because its body was meticulously laminated by Loweree and Todd, and each strake of wood was siamesed, or matched by the grain to the adjoining strake.

The Rolls body begun by Loweree in 1986 for Johathan McLane, was eventually acquired by David North. A strong donor chassis from a 39 Wraith was located and acquired. The chassis and the body were finished and married together by John Todd over the last 3 years. Todd was able to conquer difficult engineering challenges such as the hinging of the suicide doors and the bomb bay door in the rear of the car.

The Peruvian walnut was extremely dry. Despite absorbing upward of 15 costs of marine varnish applied by Todd and assistant Steve Hopkins, it still did not have the shine Todd was able to achieve on both the Hispano and the Duesenberg. A great innovator, Todd suggested spraying the wooden body with automotive clear coat. Without leaving the local area, this work was completed and an immaculate finish obtained.

The Rolls chassis is by far the heaviest component of the car, as the body is actually quite lightweight throughout. The car drives with ease and accuracy, reports David, and is quite comfortable with exquisite faux alligator upholstery. The Norths took the 39 Wraith to Amelia Island last Spring where , out of a field of about 250 cars, it won awards for Best New Coachwork and Peoples Choice.

Both the Duesenberg and the Hispano-Suiza retain to this day, 12 and almost 15 years after completion, their original coasts of marine varnish. The resilience of the finish is a testament both to the quality and the application and to their stability of the wood bodies.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 AM

Old 10-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I really love that wooden Rolls. Was that your Amilia Island thread with pics of it last spring? Hopefully that baby will make a trip out west someday so i can see it first hand. I'd take the trip up to Monterey and Pebble Beach just for that one car.

You take great pics. Thank you again for sharing them.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post
I really love that wooden Rolls. Was that your Amilia Island thread with pics of it last spring? Hopefully that baby will make a trip out west someday so i can see it first hand. I'd take the trip up to Monterey and Pebble Beach just for that one car.

You take great pics. Thank you again for sharing them.
Thanks, yes, they were in my amelia thread earlier. The car will probably make it out to Pebble Beach in the next few years. It is indeed a sight to behold. The craftsmenship is astounding. I was talking with Mr Todd about the fenders, he used 3 layers of thin strips to form them then installed a reinforced lip on the outside edge.

regards

ken

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: