Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Registered SVX
Strange Electrical Behavior

About 2 weeks ago my car wouldn't start and needed a jump. It would only take a jump if everything was turned off. So I got it started and then charged up the battery and got a spare battery just in case. Everything went fine for about a 10-12 days.

Then yesterday after driving around town my ABS light came on randomly (although it was raining and wet outside, which has caused the ABS light to come on before). Then the speakers stopped working, that is the head unit was still indicating that music was playing, but no sound was coming out of the speakers. This continued intermittently.

So I parked the car, and with it still running I turned the headlights on and off. Whenever I turned the headlights on the ABS light would turn on and the head unit would die and then restart. (at this point the speakers were working again) When I turned the headlights off the ABS light would turn off and the head unit and speakers would continue to work.

So I left the car parked overnight and came back today to find there wasn't enough juice left in the battery to start the car. I swapped in the new battery and it fired up with no problem. I tested the headlights to see if it would cause trouble with the ABS light or the head unit and nothing happened. Everything seemed to be working perfectly.

Is something draining my battery? (It was good for about 2 weeks of semi-infrequent use after a fairly quick charge.) This shouldn't cause strange problems while the car is still running should it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Strange Electrical Behavior

Kia ora Dan,

It would appear that you had an intermittent fault which was dropping voltage on several circuits. Turning the headlights on and off would cause an increased battery drain/load and therefore make the fault more obvious.

Reduced voltage could very well have caused the audio problem, as well as ABS fault indication. You report a flat battery with everything OK after replacing the battery.

Everything would indicate a faulty battery, now replaced.

P.S. When changing the battery, could you by any chance have fixed what had been faulty battery connections?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-11-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Strange Electrical Behavior

Check your grounds..... sounds like a chassis ground is bad or disconnected.

You can also find a parasitic draw by monitoring battery voltage while you pull one fuse at a time..... if the voltage jumps when one is pulled, that circuit is drawing current (of course the key should be off, all interior lights verified off.).

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.