Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
I think I need rear brakes :(

The other day my car started making a grinding noise from the rear when I hit the brakes, and today I noticed rust spots on my wheel and wear in the center of the rotor I found a brake rotor + pad kit on Ebay for $120 with free shipping. Has anyone had any experience with those, or can anyone recommend some pads & rotors?
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Re: I think I need rear brakes :(

I bought these (all 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads for $164.98). The least expensive I could find on Ebay (Canada).
Canadian made
I installed them myself about a month ago and they have performed as they should. Time will tell the full story, but at that price point, I was willing to give them a try.

Rear rotors and pads $78.61
http://cgi.ebay.ca/92-93-94-SUBARU-S...item3ca74c60e3

Last edited by Jazz; 01-02-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Well I hope they're good cuz I just ordered a set I had some Canadian beer once that was pretty good, so hopefully Canadian brake rotors are equally good :P
1986 VW Jetta
Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
I had some Canadian beer once that was pretty good, so hopefully Canadian brake rotors are equally good :P
That's what I figured too.
Except….. I have had that Canadian beer many more times than just once.
If the Rotors stand the test of time, I will be ordering from that EBay store again too.

The brake job on the SVX is quick and straightforward. I can go through 3+ sets of these for the cost of 1 set of "name brand” units.

It has been only a month so far and I have been pleased. True smooth braking with a good bite and minimal fade if pushed hard. Usually a bad set of discs will warp immediately, so no sign of that and they appear to be wearing in nicely as the pads bed themselves in and the cadmium plating is worn off the braking surfaces.

Don’t forget to change the brake fluid if required. I try to get it done once a year, but that doesn't always happen.

Cheers,

Last edited by Jazz; 01-04-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post

Don’t forget to change the brake fluid if required. I try to get it done once a year, but that doesn't always happen.

Cheers,
Yeah, I'm gonna do that when I do the 180k service... Next thing on the list is timing belt, cam/crank seals, cam cover gaskets, and spark plugs...
1986 VW Jetta
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
Yeah, I'm gonna do that when I do the 180k service... Next thing on the list is timing belt, cam/crank seals, cam cover gaskets, and spark plugs...
My SVX has over 225k miles on it now and the seals have not been done yet either.

When I bought the car the entire engine compartment, engine and undercarriage was covered in oil from all the seals leaking. I can't do the work right now since it is winter and I need the car to get me to work and back.

I added a half bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer in each of the last 2 oil changes and all the leaks have stopped.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM

Off topic of brakes, but I thought I would add on the lines of leaky seals.

Those great synthetic oils are wonderful for your engines internals, but they are also really good at getting past the seals. I have changed back to a good old heavy weight mineral oil along with the Lucas oil stabilizer additive.
No more seepage, no drips on the driveway, no more leaks, no more stinking smoke when the engine heats up. The motor runs smoother and cooler too, with better gas mileage (bah..I sound like a commercial, but this stuff really works). I added it to my differentials when I changed the oil in them too.
Lucas also makes an engine oil stop leak additive, but that is not necessary if the oil stabilizer does the trick.
I also added a bottle of Lucas transmission stop slip to my laggy slush box and it helped a little.
And I used a bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak and my leaky rack and pinion is seaping no more and is smoother and tighter feeling.
Lastly, I have started using Lucas Fuel Treatment on every fill-up. Check reviews on this stuff, tried tested and true.

About $80 worth of additives to get me throught the winter and into summer when the car is off the road and I can do some real work on it.

Last edited by Jazz; 01-06-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX

I'm in the "synthetics are a waste of money unless you live in Iceland or drive the Dakar Rally every day" crowd, my car gets good old Mobil 10W-30 from the drum at work! I'm gonna do the seals because I need to do the timing belt, and if I'm going to open the engine up that far I'm going to do the seals while I'm in there, since they are leaking, same with the cam covers. It needs spark plugs, and they're a tad easier to do with the cam covers off, and the cam covers are leaking as well... grr dagum money pit... This car's lucky I like it LOL
1986 VW Jetta
Old 01-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Subaru Technician

Registered SVX

Well, my brakes finally came A little miffed at the seller, since I was told when my payment was received (1/4/10) to allow 4-5 days for cadmium coating and shipping, and I would be notified by email with tracking number when they were shipped. I received no such email, but today (1/13/10) they arrived! So tomorrow I'm gonna stick 'em on after work (Yeah, pics to follow lol)
1986 VW Jetta