Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 04-04-2009, 11:44 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Odd problem with new brakes...idle surge

So, I decided to finally tackle my brakes this weekend, as mine were pretty well trashed and it's nice this weekend. I'm installing a full brake kit from svxfiles (4 new rotors, new pads, and SS braided lines), plus a new pair of front calipers.

Fronts went somewhat smoothly...I ended up with a leak on the drivers' side that turned out to be a slightly bent hard line not mating properly with the connector on the new hose. That has since been sorted out (I hope, anyway). Going to do the rears tomorrow. Aside from that, no issues to report...except the following...

When I was pressure testing my brakes (when I found the leak), the car idle would start to go crazy...it would surge real bad, almost to the point of stalling out, as I pumped the brakes up. It was behaving exactly as if I had disconnected a vacuum hose. But, the only things I had touched were the brakes. They worked fine before - well, they didn't stop the car that great, but they didn't cause any issues with idling when pumped up. The only thing I touched under the hood was the brake fluid reservoir cap.

Anyone know what's going on here? Will this go away once the system is properly bled (I think there still may be a bubble or two in it)? Also, are there any special methods / processes that need to be done to do a good full-system bleed?