How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 AM
Registered Loser

Head Gasket??? Please tell me no

Hey Everyone got my car back on Saturday after not having it for 2 months.
Replaced:
Water Pump
all timing pulleys
Thermostat
Rocker Cover Gaskets
Spark Plugs

But that's besides the point.
When I got it back, but a day later (which was Sat) i notice coolant leaking onto the under engine cover, but i didn't really care because 1 - it wasn't much coolant and 2 - the coolant tank was over the full line and a half, so I didn't really care, I thought maybe there's a relief valve or overflow valve or something, but also didn't care because of how much coolant was in there, I was happy for it to drop while coolant leaks BUT, it never did.

So I was driving today and all of a sudden i noticed the gauge raised to over 3/4 so i turned off the car and quickly pulled over.

Punch line is, when the tow truck came 1 and a half hours later the guy started it to drive it up the bed and it clicked, so he got the winch and then we tried to start it again and it slooooowly started but we turned it off straight away.

Any suggestions on damage??
Old 03-25-2009, 05:47 AM

Re: Head Gasket??? Please tell me no

If you just had the water pump and thermostat replaced and immediately experienced a coolant leak and overheating problem, suspect the recent work.

dcb
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Registered Loser

Was the bloody radiator plug at the bottom of the radiator (PWR)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 AM

Ok! no!!!

Last edited by kwren; 03-26-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This sounds like a possibly seized water pump bearing, mine overheated with no other symptoms, and after I turned it off and it sat for a while, tried starting it again and it cranked really slow, since the seized pulley caused major drag on the timing belt. If it was fine before and not now, I agree with suspect the work that was done, or a shoddy waterpump being used.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSVX View Post
So I assume everything is all taken care of now?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Can't go wrong with the PWR =D

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered Loser

Yeah all is good, the only problem now is finding time to pick the car up!
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Registered Loser

So I got the car back today, and the person who works for admin to the mechanics at Subaru explained the problem to me.

He said "We replaced the plug at the bottom of the radiator, the old was leaking and it was plastic, we source a new one and put on a metal one.. it's so muchbetter"... They were his words.

Now the car has been sitting in the drive way since I got it back this morning because it's still bloody leaking cups and cups worth of bloody coolant!!!!

I was reading the report that he printed out when he gave me the car back this morning. It says, "As a gesture of good will we have replaced the radiator plug free of charge for the customer"

This is so frustrating!!! I didn't buy an SVX because it's a nice collectable car that's supposed to sit in the garage until it's worth a packet.
I bought it because it's a great car to drive, it's a car! Not just artwork
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 AM

Wouldn't that **** ya, sorry to hear your still having trouble have you got under and looked for the hemerage ? There can't be many places for it to come from!

Regards cam
Ps I fixed my aerial today !!! Ask me
how!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Registered Loser

Mate, I am guttered, I need the bloody car for work, I can't see where it's coming from, all I can see is coolant everywhere.

I would have a look but I don't want to void anything they've done or mess around with their work.

Lucky it wasn't a week day.

I was installing a vibration/tilt sensor for my alarm and trying to install the red LED alarm armed flasher that most alarms have BUT i was installing it in the actual clear part of the green ignition barrel, so when the alarm is armed it flashes red and then when the alarm is unarmed it goes green when you open the door.
Then the bloody coolant interrupted.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Mate, I am guttered, I need the bloody car for work, I can't see where it's coming from, all I can see is coolant everywhere.

I would have a look but I don't want to void anything they've done or mess around with their work.

Lucky it wasn't a week day.

I was installing a vibration/tilt sensor for my alarm and trying to install the red LED alarm armed flasher that most alarms have BUT i was installing it in the actual clear part of the green ignition barrel, so when the alarm is armed it flashes red and then when the alarm is unarmed it goes green when you open the door.
Then the bloody coolant interrupted.
'
It wont be a head gasket if it is leaking like that. Start by checking near the water pump area. Then follow the hoses top and lower rad. Look for green crust, also are you sure the drain plug is right for the job?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Registered Loser

I have no idea if the drain plug is the right plug for the job. Aside from leaking is there any damage that the wrong drain plug could cause like high pressure. I gotta ask the stupid questions, because ya never know.

Just had the car towed back to the dealership, they can deal with the car sitting in their driveway first thing monday morning.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 AM

Did the fans ever kick on when it first heated up.....Mine goes to almost 3/4 on the guage, then the fan kicks on and cools it back down to 1/2 way. on the guage.....Dammit man, you`d think they would have driven it and seen the coolant leaking before they called you.....
Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Registered Loser

Hey just read your other thread. Unless you're a mechanic and have Radiator Pressure Testing Machine, take your car to a mechanic and get them to do a high pressure test for over 30mins, just to rule out that there is a radiator problem or radiator setup problem. Then if there isn't well you've just crossed a major thing off the list.

They left my car on pressure well above the standard pressure for an hour which must not be good for the car until something leaked which was a hose on the bottom of the radiator, which was my problem all along.