Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 05-07-2007, 07:54 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Mounting Alcyone hood ornament

OK guys I just got my Alcyone hood ornament but my car has no holes in the hood remaining from the old emblem.... and no sign of where it once was. Any suggestions on how to install one of these from scratch. Looks like I'm going to have to drill three holes in my hood (not good). Two of the posts have pyramidal rubber washer type things, the third is just a steel post. What drill bit and do you just push the rubber washer type things through the steel hood or is there some trick to the whole thing...
I know it's probably simple but I'm new to this and not real handy when it comes to these things... Rather do it right than make cheese out of my hood...
Thanks
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Well...not having seen the reverse side of the alcyone emblem, I can only offer some common sence advice stemming from my fabrication experiances.
First thing's first...find the center line of the hood. Get a tape measure, and go right across the front edge of the hood....thake the measurement, half it, and use that measurement to make a pencil mark on the center of the front edge of the hood. now you have something to work with. you'll have to do the same to the reverse side of the emblem. All measurements from this point should be from that mark. Its jsut a matter of masuring and plotting.

Or, you can do it the bodyshop way, and break the mounting studs off the back, eye it up (Doesnt matter if the emblem is upside down, or on the wrong car for that matter) and stick it on

The later of the two isnt reccomended
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Well...not having seen the reverse side of the alcyone emblem,
They match up exactly with the studs on a stock badge.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 AM
Domo Arigato

Any pics of the back side of the alcyone badge? I was thinking about doing the same thing......

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
are you guys sure.?>.when you pry off the stock badge. the badge should be held on by double sided tape and two prongs i believe it was if not three..but there is a yellow plastic thing-which you should see on your alcyone badge as well...take those out and your alycone badge should go right in...
if that's not the case...then i'm not sure
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

he may not have a stock hood so the holes might not exist.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
I just did this on my '92... Here's what I've got:

When I removed my stock badge, there were three holes - two side by side (where the prongs with the yellow plastic jobbies went), and one below them (for alignment and anti-upside-down purposes).

Conveniently, when you have the holes, it's nice 'n' easy to line it up, press it on, and admire your work.

I think '59 is telling us that there are no hood holes to work with? Seems odd; why would they change that? Alas, when there are no holes for badges, manufacturers usually have tools that touch the car in a few places to perform alignment before pressing the badge on.

Looks like there's little choice but to measure well?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:08 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
aftermarket hood possibly?
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Maybe someone out there with a used/damaged hood (without an emblem on it) could make a "rubbing" with pencil on paper to show the exact size and position of the holes and a rubbing along the front edge of the hood. While they were at it, a drill bit could also be used to determine exactly what size the holes were.

That way it would be easy to measure the halfway point, and tape the rubbed template to the hood. When you are satisfied with the position, centerpunch a small mark through the center of the rubbed "holes" on the paper onto the hood.

Be sue to finish the edges of the drilled holes with some primer or a little paint before mounting the emblem.

See diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Diagram1.doc (21.5 KB, 236 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-08-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
are you guys sure.? When you pry off the stock badge. the badge should be held on by double sided tape and two prongs I believe it was if not three... but there is a yellow plastic thing-which you should see on your alcyone badge as well. take those out and your alycone badge should go right in...
if that's not the case...then i'm not sure
On the back of the badge, the two upper prongs have yellow plastic rings around them; the single one at the bottom does not. The yellow rings press into the holes in the hood and compress around the pins on the emblem to further secure them in position.

DO NOT TAKE THE YELLOW PIECES OFF THE EMBLEM.
After cleaning the hood of grease or wax, peel off the protective backing from the emblem. Once you line up the pins with the holes in the hood, press the pins (and yellow rings) into the holes as far as they will go. Then use firm pressure all around the emblem to make sure the adhesive gasket is secure.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-08-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Thanks Guys. I guess it's going to be some careful measurements and drilling on the weekend to get this thing on. Thanks for your comments and suggestions...
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
If you are not sure of drilling holes, I would second the suggestion to stick it on. You can always redo it, but once you make a mistake drilling holes.......OOPS!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
yea, definitly skip drilling any holes in your hood man, the sticky stuff on the back has more than enough adhesion to hold it on there. work smarter, not harder
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Network Design Administrator

I would still like to know why his hood doesnt currently have holes in it.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 AM

Registered SVX
Hiya,

The holes may still be there if the car has had damage on the hood and been repaired with filler and then painted.

Virtually all badges nowadays are held on with tape and no body holes, mainly for all the different model names/numbers etc, it would be a nightmare to drill holes for every model & engine size difference.

If in doubt about drilling just get some bodyshop grade trim tape and stick it on the cleaned surface that is warm.
If you need to drill put 3 or 4 layers of masking tape in the area of the holes then mark onto the tape and drill through it, it will stop any drill slip and keep the hole where you want it. (Nothing worse then a drill bit going off on it own path of removing paint and metal lol)

Darren

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.