Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Its a Classic!

I just got my new engine in and i am really not in the mood to drop the tranny or pull the engine again to put the drivers side dowel in. Thats the only reason why I ask. Just as long as it can last a year until my 6mt swap
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The 318 Dodge I referred to was weird to diagnose. My customer called and said his van drove fine, to his customer's driveway, but would not restart. Sounded like a typical timing chain failure, the starter snap/spins the crank and chain past the breaking plastic teeth of the OE cam gear.

So I went to see the van to confirm before ordering a wrecker. Engines with broken chains/gears sound odd because of compression loss on some cylinders but this one was even more peculiar sounding. I popped the distributor cap off and the rotor would not even budge during cranking which is also odd. When cam gears strip they usually only lose a few teeth and the cam begins to turn again, just out of time. For some reason I turned the front crank pulley and the distributor turned. What could happen that the starter couldn't cause it to turn but the front of the crank could?

The only answer I could come up with was a broken crankshaft and sure enough, after removing the engine, we found the last two throws broken away. Further inspection revealed missing dowel pins, apparently the shop that replaced the tranny didn't transfer them.

I'm not saying this is going to happen to anyone here but building a heavier plate or living in denial could cause a helluva lot more trouble. I just wanted to be clear in my warning.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Its a Classic!

Your killing me with these horror stories. I am only missing 1 dowel (drivers side). Hopefully i can get myself to replace it but uhhhhhh what a hassle.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
The 318 Dodge I referred to was weird to diagnose. My customer called and said his van drove fine, to his customer's driveway, but would not restart. Sounded like a typical timing chain failure, the starter snap/spins the crank and chain past the breaking plastic teeth of the OE cam gear.

So I went to see the van to confirm before ordering a wrecker. Engines with broken chains/gears sound odd because of compression loss on some cylinders but this one was even more peculiar sounding. I popped the distributor cap off and the rotor would not even budge during cranking which is also odd. When cam gears strip they usually only lose a few teeth and the cam begins to turn again, just out of time. For some reason I turned the front crank pulley and the distributor turned. What could happen that the starter couldn't cause it to turn but the front of the crank could?

The only answer I could come up with was a broken crankshaft and sure enough, after removing the engine, we found the last two throws broken away. Further inspection revealed missing dowel pins, apparently the shop that replaced the tranny didn't transfer them.

I'm not saying this is going to happen to anyone here but building a heavier plate or living in denial could cause a helluva lot more trouble. I just wanted to be clear in my warning.
Beav,
Clear to me!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
Your killing me with these horror stories. I am only missing 1 dowel (drivers side). Hopefully i can get myself to replace it but uhhhhhh what a hassle.
You can replace the dowels with the engine and trans installed. Tap it throught with a punch and hammer through the trans and into the enigne.... simple

Tom
Old 06-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
You can replace the dowels with the engine and trans installed. Tap it throught with a punch and hammer through the trans and into the enigne.... simple

Tom
i thought you had to seperate the engine and tranny....haha thats awsome
Old 06-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Not as old as Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX

Tom
Huh? Tap? (read: beat the beejeesus outta?) I could be wrong but aren't the holes stepped in order to retain/locate the dowels? If they weren't stepped one could just cram the two together and the dowels would slip into one side wthout locating the other side.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Maniac modifier

depends on how big your hammer is Seriously though it is not impossible to do that way just taper the edge a little more off the dowel and pound it in

Tom
Old 06-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Not as old as Randy

And break the ear off of the bellhousing?

Sorry, but there isn't an easy cure. It's one of those 'nasty enough that you'll not do it twice' things. And yes, I've paid my dues...

Last edited by Beav; 06-26-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Maniac modifier

hey, risk at you own due but I have had them go both ways. They will push around the transmission with enough ease but it is the engine that they will stick well. They are meant to stay in the engine. Sometimes corrosion will hold them in the transmission when it is removed. Do what you want I am only trying to give an opinion

Tom