Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-13-2006, 06:07 AM

Alternator....again!

Awww i have been enjoying the svx so much lately with my fast back(ward) wheels.

Yesterday i was driving through the harbour tunnel, air con on full when all the dash lights came on (anti lock brakes was brightest). I quickly turned off radio & air con and prayed that i would make it to the bondi exit. It would really suck to break down in the tunnel. I made it to my destination then hoped that the problem would have gone away when i returned to ze car an hour later. Sure enough the lights came on faintly again and i pulled into the caltex to see if it was something fixable (well, i checked the oil etc and decided that this would have no impact on the alternator). I added some premium in the hope that petrol would make it happier. No. Decided to coax it to the garage in sydenham so i wouldn't brake down on the way home (esp on bridge or tunnel) . I pulled out of the servo in bondi in glaring sun, freaking out about car cutting out when sure enough a black svx drove by in the opposite direction. I was too nervous to get excited! The numberplate only had 3 or 4 letters/ numbers, didn't note them.

Anyway, now have no svx and waiting to hear the verdict, driving a newish civic and it's fun to kangaroo all over the place in a manual!

Moshol
Old 02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX
Hmmm - first Arthur's alternator fails, and then yours..!

I am starting to get worried - I must have the only SVX in the country which is running on its original alternator!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshols vx
a black (or maybe it was a Charcoal Grey) svx drove by in the opposite direction
Fixed your post!

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX

Last edited by JDW-SVX; 02-13-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 AM

the sun factor

Well Jason- it looked black when the 6:30 pm sun was directly in my eyes through city haze on frantic bondi road when I thought I was about to go kaput! Yes, I suppose there could have been a hint of grey in the paintwork...

I don’t feel a part of other cool cars when driving around in a civic! Its nice to drive though and great on fuel. I sort of gave my self whiplash today when I changed from 4th to 3rd when I meant to go into 5th hehe sure my sis will be thrilled to hear what I have been doing to her gearbox.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:20 PM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Do things really come in three's?
After fitting a new battery, then replacing the alternator, I then started to notice I was losing coolant.
Worse part of that, it was dripping out under the rear seat!!
After having horrible thoughts that my cabin heater had sprung a leak, I found a small split in my top radiator hose.
I didn't even bother to chase up the price for a subaru hose, just took the old hose down to SuperCheap and found one a similar shape (Commadore lower hose) for about $15.00 and cut the ends to suit.
I'm still hoping that the fluid I found in the back under the carpet, was spillage from a 'top up' bottle I had in the back?
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:28 AM

Water near rear seat

Could be water coming from the rear wiper/washer, seems that this was a common fault with 92/93 models. Think my Subaru guy said that it was only a small seal that wears out.

Kenn
Old 02-16-2006, 05:43 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
rear wiper/washer
That would be an easy fix, unfortunately this was definately coolant, but I'm still hoping it was only spillage.
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:23 AM

Bye Bye....

Bye Bye

SVX is now in for her year long overhaul- new rear coming from insurance and then re-spray front and scratches/ dents out. Anyone know where i can get new wipers from- i'm after front and rear, metal bit and rubber part
Not sure what will happen to alternator yet. Thanks for the advice Arthur.

Moshol
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Mr Soob

Quote:
I pulled out of the servo in bondi in glaring sun, freaking out about car cutting out when sure enough a black svx drove by in the opposite direction. I was too nervous to get excited! The numberplate only had 3 or 4 letters/ numbers, didn't note them.
Moshol
The Charcoal Grey SVX is 95% likely the exact same one as in this thread.

(Moshol, I need to chat to you about some SVX-related stuff - PM sent)
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178
Old 02-20-2006, 10:40 PM
MisanthropyV

Quote:
Bye Bye

SVX is now in for her year long overhaul- new rear coming from insurance and then re-spray front and scratches/ dents out. Anyone know where i can get new wipers from- i'm after front and rear, metal bit and rubber part
Not sure what will happen to alternator yet. Thanks for the advice Arthur.

Moshol
You don't need new wipers. Just respray the originals...That's what I did and they look brand new... I cleaned them and used an exhaust enamel. It cures with heat, so a nice hot day is all you need. No primer needed, just prep wash, the spray and some masking tape... Too easy...
Old 02-26-2006, 02:30 AM

You need to remember that the alternators on the SVX can be repaired I have the orginal but have rebuilt it 3 times due to the dusty enviroment. Before replacing it get some auto electrician to check it out. The last time mine failed it was stuck brushes which was easy to fix and not parts.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: