Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
FEA help??

Hey everybody. I'm hoping this site is home to somebody proficient in SDRC I-DEAs FEA. I'm doing FEA on a vehicle space frame I designed for my vehicle design project. I used a beam mesh to create the FEA elements. When I run the analysis, there are nodes where the space frame separates without taking any load. It's because there are two nodes at that joint...one of the tubes entering that area is connected to one node, and the other tube is connected to another node. Thus, in the FEA model, the two tubes are not directly connected, so force cannot be transferred between them. So, if anybody is good with I-DEAs I could use some help letting me know how to join those nodes.

-Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-19-2004, 06:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I know some of those words.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Peach

fanookie

Hey, who does'nt love nodes?
Old 08-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
haha..I knew this is all the help I'd get. It's a problem none of the FEA professors here at school could figure out..the SVX network was my absolute last hope To make this thread more interesting I'll just tell you what I'm modeling. My group in my senior capstone class has decided to design the Warthog from Halo. It's gonna be the "Jeep Warthog" just since it seems to fit the Jeep image pretty well. Plus, that way we can borrow components from other Jeeps and Dodge trucks instead of designing them. It'll be a 110" wheelbase, 35" Goodyear MT/R tires, "Hog-trak" 4.0:1 low range, 12" of suspension travel, and some other nifty features. All of it will be built on a space frame...the part that I am having trouble modeling. We're gonna use the 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel from the Ram HD, and we're hoping to keep the weight below 4500lb Should be pretty sweet when finished.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 08-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
haha..I knew this is all the help I'd get. It's a problem none of the FEA professors here at school could figure out..the SVX network was my absolute last hope To make this thread more interesting I'll just tell you what I'm modeling. My group in my senior capstone class has decided to design the Warthog from Halo. It's gonna be the "Jeep Warthog" just since it seems to fit the Jeep image pretty well. Plus, that way we can borrow components from other Jeeps and Dodge trucks instead of designing them. It'll be a 110" wheelbase, 35" Goodyear MT/R tires, "Hog-trak" 4.0:1 low range, 12" of suspension travel, and some other nifty features. All of it will be built on a space frame...the part that I am having trouble modeling. We're gonna use the 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel from the Ram HD, and we're hoping to keep the weight below 4500lb Should be pretty sweet when finished.

I'm sure you'll get some input from some of our guys as soon as the right ones come around.

As for me, if I can't fix it with duct tape or a BFH, I'm lost.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 08-22-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Finite Element Analysis; The numerical method used to model a wide range of physical phenomena.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: