How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-12-2004, 06:38 PM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Question Transmission swaps ?

I posed this question on the end of my AT decoder thread..
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=19792
[so view this thread on AT 'VIN's and variances of ATs used in the US vs.JDM/AUD]

but now I will restart a new thread on this question, to get a response from the group...

Brief scenario..transmission dies what options are there, other than swapping in a manual conversion, ie sticking with auto..then

1] exchange box - if avail from Subaru [here in Oz $4500AUD + the cost to fix whatever broken bits are in your own box, so all up nearly $6K !!AUD]
2] rebuild existing box [hard to find anyone who knows what where and how in Oz] prices from $3500 AUD+ any parts
OR
3] replacing with another SVX box from different year model [eg. putting a 91 box in 95 car...or vice versa]

The last option I have interest in, not my preferred option but like most places, here in Oz wreckers are bringing in EARLY model JDM half cuts and a JDM SVX AT can be purchased from these guys off the shelf for $895AUD, at this price I could still then have this pulled down and refurbed for $1500 to $1800 on top, or take a punt on NO rebuild..a fairly cheap exercise !!

SO, with the advent of cheap JDM imports etc then AT swaps if shown that they could work, ...this could really brake the back on one of the biggest expenses all of us fear but will be confronted with, at some point.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by grnSVX96; 07-12-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:56 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
other trans choises

Dave, we just swapped into " boxer6" 96 svx an automatic transmission and rear differential from a 96 legacy outback. That gave his car 4.44 to 1 gears for better acceleration and probably worse gas mileage, (a deal to me!!!) SVX-FF installed a trans from a 96 imprezza into his svx and got a 4.11 to 1 ratio. I'm so pleased with Nicks results that I've ordered the next ob trans +rear that comes to my used parts guy for MY svx. Check out the boxer6 locker, and good luck. Tom