Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-01-2004, 09:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
OT: Justy's brakes...

...I replaced the front rotors and pads tonight. Why, oh why, is the Justy put together backwards? I don't really understand how the front hub/brake assembly works, but apparently my understaning is not required.

I think my vibration under braking is gone, but I still can't actually get the fronts to lock up under braking very easily. I know the tires give me a lot of grip, but it seems odd. I'm going to change out the fluid tomorrow.

The old rotors and pads, by the way, were in rough shape. The material on two of the pads was warped and separated from the plate. And the rotors were severely grooved.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Thats interesting. Sounds like they didn't do a good job of setting up the proportioning on that car.

What types of pads are you using? Did you get the rotors cut before you put them on? After breakin they might bite better too.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 07-02-2004, 08:52 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Zip tie the brake lines?

The brakes on my Justy got very weak over time as well. Perhaps the booster doesn't provide the amount of boost it once did.

Keep me up to date on your findings. My Justy is not getting the mileage it once did thanks to the likely cracked head.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:24 AM

Registered SVX
Well, the vibration is still there. Argh. And the brakes are still not sufficient to lock the front wheels easily. Of course, My Justy has way more grip than it's supposed to. Tonight I'll be changing the brake fluid - I expect that will help.

As for the proportioning, I assure you any performance characteristics were secondary in consideration to durability. The Justy dives a lot under braking because of its ground clearance and the rear gets all squirrelly. I don't think the front brakes' deterioration is really the car's fault. I'm being really hard on it with this autocrossing nonsense - something it really wasn't designed for.

That's me - doing things the hard way.

I actually found out that Justys that came with 13" wheels had bigger brakes than those (like mine) that came with 12" wheels. I may try to find the parts to swap in.

As for using zip-ties on the brake lines, I'm not sure that's entirely legal under SOLOII stock.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Brakes

Hi Nick, When I had my "JUSTY" a '91. the braking slowly seemed to get weaker. After a while I noticed a tck tck coming from the rear. The rear drums had used up all of the adjustment. IE I didn't have any rear brakes. So you might want to check the rear drums. Take care, BOBB
Old 07-05-2004, 12:43 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks, Bobb, that's something to look at. I use the parking brake whenever I park the car, and I know that it's holding the car, so I don't think that my rear brakes are totally gone.

I think the rotors and pads are just really, really small and not designed for the type of driving I'm putting them through.

I did learn, however, that Justys wwhich came with 13" wheels from the factory had larger brakes. I might look into finding some of those.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Brakes

Hi Nick, Yah, the '91 had 13 in. wheels. It also had "On Demand" 4WD. No center diff. By having the Justy I was able to double my cylinders when I got the SVX. Take care, BOBB