Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
Where can I get a one-piece pulley?
http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/
http://northernperformance.ca/catalog/
http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorsport-accessories/

The Impreza/WRX pulley will also fit the SVX
Old 06-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorsport-accessories/
That is Dayle (motorsport-svx on this site) from the above site. I can't vouch for the other 2 site's pulleys since I haven't tried them but I can say I bought 2 pulleys from Dayle - both 1 piece stock sized lightweight aluminum pulleys and both were top qualty. On top of that Dayle is a stand up guy who will back his product.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Loki

Ok, I took off the pulley and it looks as the pic below depicts. My question is should I go ahead and try to reinstall this one? or get a Perrin Preformance replacement. I have a powerful stereo in it and dont want to underdrive it. Thanks again for all of your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr_pulley.jpg (32.4 KB, 115 views)
Old 06-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Get a new one. Before that take another look at the current one. There is a rubber layer that deteriorates then the outer metal ring starts slipping from the inner metal ring and walking usually toward the engine cutting into the timing belt cover. It's not going to be slipping around the key unless the key is missing.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Loki

Thanks for your respone but I am confused by what you mean it wouldnt be slipping around the key unless the key is missing... is the key supposed to be bigger (longer from the cam) than it is in that picture? Or do you mean that the slot in the pulley is too worn. The perrin preformance pulley is $140 as is the stock one, so I see no need to get the extremely heavy stock one.

Thanks for your responses
Old 06-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It won't slip around the key unless the bolt comes loose - what earthworm is talking about is not it slipping in the center portion where it goes on the shaft where you have the keyway.

He is talking about a separate problem where the outer part of the pulley slips where it is connected to the inner part of the pulley by a rubber section. The crank pulley is 2 pieces held together by rubber.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 06-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Loki

Well I ordered a one piece from Dayle today. Hopefully this will fix the problem. The question I now have is how do I successfully get this thing to the correct torque spec? Should I use a chain wrench? Also... how does the belt tensioner on the A/C compressor work? Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 06-23-2004, 11:24 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
It needs to be torqued to atleast 115 ft/lbs. I wedged a large screwdriver in the flexplate while my dad tightened the bolt. Some people recomend against this, because of the chance of cracking the flexplate. The other method would be to hold the pulley with a strap wrench. The A/C compressor tensioner works by loosening the two bolts on the tensioner, swinging it, and then retighten the bolts.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I used a strap wrench to hold the pulley in place on both cars when I installed Dayles 1 piece pulley - works fine. I wouldnt use a chain wrench unless you wrap the pulley in rubber or something - the aluminum could get banged up pretty easy by a chain.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The tensioner for the compressor has 2 different nut sizes on the center part - one is small to tighten down and hold the pulley in place, the other is larger - I think it was 17mm - use a crescent wrench on this larger bolt to leverage and move the pulley to put the correct tension on the belt.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Loki

I recieved my pulley from Dayle (SP?) and it has a nick in it where it looks like it could damage a belt, Im going to sand that out before I put it on. I really appreciate all of your help with this. I will try to fix this possible monday or tuesday (work all weekend).

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Loki

Unhappy Its running great...

The car runs great, but I looked at the P/S fluid and it appears to be milky... anyone have an idea? How much would it take to drain that system? How much at a dealer ($$)?

Thanks Again for all your help, there is a new pic in my locker that is not taken with a phone!! (High-Res).

Todd
Old 06-29-2004, 07:34 AM

Can only guess that some sort of contaminant turned your PS fluid milky. Easiest thing to do is use a turkey-baster syringe to suck-out (most of) the fluid in the reservoir, then refill. I'd probably drive it for awhile to cycle the fresh fluid through the system, then repeat. Alternately, you can drain the reservoir by disconnecting the return (low pressure) hose.

dcb