How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2004, 08:36 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

axle repair

Ok so i gave my car into the repair shop on friday and told them about the knocking noise when i lock the wheel right and accelerate and he told me i needed a new axle. I dont know if the new axle includes new cv joints and all of that because all this time when i explained my situation to various people they have told me i needed new cv joints ect. I haven't picked the car up yet but it's going to cost me $486. That also includes an 86 dollar tranny fluid change and filter. I know i most probably am getting charged too much money but i am praying to God that the problem is solved because that is most important.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have done it 6 times now on an svx but I can change an axle in about an hour alone. I could probably get one done in 40 minutes if I rushed.
Cost -between $80 - over $200 for the part depending where you buy the axle.

400 to change one is pretty steep.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
$400 to change an axle is definitely too much. I'd say that's about double what it should cost.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-05-2004, 11:42 AM

yeah i agree i got robbed. He said he replaced the whole shaft. I dont know whats involved in axle replacement.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:41 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
yeah i agree i got robbed. He said he replaced the whole shaft. I dont know whats involved in axle replacement.
If he replaced both front axles, then you got an okay deal. If he only replaced one side and claimed it was 'the whole shaft, and not just the half shaft,' then he's a lying creep. It shouldn't cost any more than $200 to replace one side.

Read your invoice carefully. If it only says he replaced one axle, then I recommend you march on back there and demand that he refund you $200.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-05-2004, 04:19 PM
SVX Appeal

$86 for a tranny fluid replacement and filter change isn't a bad deal at all. I think that's pretty good actually. $400 for an axle is nuts, but the axle by itself is $328.89 from SubaruParts.com, part #28021PA061 (Item 03,) so maybe it's not that steep after all.

Any auto parts store should have an axle for considerably less, maybe $150 or so. These are almost always a rebuilt unit. Generally, they replace the whole axle. Each axle, or "half-shaft,' consists of an inner constant-velocity [CV]joint, a shaft, and an outer CV joint which also is the hub spindle. It's possible to replace just one joint, but this is rarely done for some reason. (It's actually quite easy to do.) Normally a complete, rebuilt half-shaft is fairly inexpensive, so it's probably just not cost-effective for a repair shop to rebuild them, and thus the parts are not offered.

Did you get taken for a ride? Well, not if their cost on the part is anywhere near the $328.89 you or I would have to pay. Usually their cost is less, but that's part of their profit margin and probably not unreasonable in this case. You'd have to find out what their cost is to find out if you've been had.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:18 PM

Registered SVX
$328 for an axle???!!! That can't be right! It's not right!

I paid $190, total, to have one replaced a couple years ago.

Axles for my Legacy are $60 apiece.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-05-2004, 06:29 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
$328 for an axle???!!! That can't be right! It's not right!

I paid $190, total, to have one replaced a couple years ago.

Axles for my Legacy are $60 apiece.
I believe the $328 price is for a new half shaft. With a price tag of $190 for your replacement, I'm certain it was remanufactured (not new).
Old 06-05-2004, 06:49 PM

I looked on the invoice and it said 275 for the right front axle. i tried to add everything up and it doesnt make any sense. Why do mechanics have to be so corrupt in ripping people off. I mean its like in Seinfeld " mechanics can tell you that you need anything...they can be like oh you need a new johnson rod and you'll believe it." Not that i would actually believe that but I thought it was really funny
Old 06-05-2004, 07:06 PM
SVX Appeal

Yeah, $328.89 for an axle isn't right, but it's correct - that is to say, that's what they cost. Go to SubaruParts.com. I've provided a link that takes you directly to the part. Normally it's $369.96 so it's already marked down. If you want a new one, sell some internal organs or your first born.

$486 total.

-$86 transmission fluid and filter change
=$400

-$275 for the axle
=$125

-$125 for 2.5 hours labor @ $50/hour
=$0

Everything’s accounted for. I always bid an axle swap for 2.5 hours labor, because that's what I've always heard it's normally bid for. I don't charge $50 an hour, and I can do it in less time, but that's a pretty normal rate. Not all shops use remanufactured parts, and I don't blame them. Some of those parts are not up to snuff. Some customers will blow a gasket if they find out it’s not a "new" part. If you don't understand what's entailed in a repair, ask. I'd rather have a customer complain about my price than the quality of my service or the products I supply. I'll sell a cheaper part, do a lousy job, and charge a lower price, but only if the customer asks for it and is aware of what they're asking - otherwise it's a good way to get a bad reputation for doing sub-standard work.

I don't think you got ripped off. In fact, I've seen prices upwards of $100 for a simple transmission tune-up more than once. If you consider that, you got a good deal.

Last edited by UberRoo; 06-05-2004 at 07:13 PM.