Old 11-24-2003, 12:51 PM
iyamwutiam

possible swaps

Does anyone know what possible swaps I could do :
1. Mitsu vr4 engine/trans
2. Nissan skyline engine/trans
3. Porsche
anything else ??
Like the nissan engines - since some of them use the 4eat transmission?
thanx
Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Not to say you couldn't, but here are the problems I can see with just the engines you listed.

1. Which VR4? Galant VR4? 3000 GT? Doesn't really matter, Both engines mount transverse in the engine bay unlike the SVX's longitudally mounted engine. Major mounting issues and costs. Also height issues. You would also likely have steering issues due to the way the rack is set in the SVX.

2. Length and height issues. If you like cowl induction hoods, this would be the swap for you. The engine would likely sit very high in the engine bay if you tried to use the SVX's factory engine crossmember. See the steering issues mentioned above as well. Modification of the engine crossmember and steering system would likely be costly and prohibitive.

3. Porsche engine. Height and length wouldn’t likely be a problem. But mounting and cost of buying the engine likely would be. For the price of a Porsche engine you would likely be able to purchase a totaled 2.5XT or STi (complete car) and do a conversion with one of those.

I seem to recall a yellow SVX somewhere with a 5.0 Mustang engine in it, but I don’t know any specifics about it.
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 11-24-2003, 04:37 PM
JLittell

I think the cigarette lighter should work in all of the cars you just listed!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:56 PM
iyamwutiam

hmm

Well - one :
1. it would be cheaper to get a skyline - diff, and everything (rolling chasis) than a skyline - it is also awd -and a GT
2. Same with the porsche

I like the body of the car and do understand (I think) a shot of nitrous will more than fulfill my needs -heck stock is pretty good while we are on the subject- but the point is - we all do feel the car has potential.
I appreciate the feedback - and since I do not USE the cigarrette lighter - that is NOT my primary concern. The point is - with Porter, Huck, Stephen, Michail and many others this IS the place to ask the question. I have a skyline rolling chassis lined up, can also do porsche.
For 12K - or more versus much more -
the question is WHY NOT !!!!!!!!!!???
Old 11-26-2003, 06:49 AM
iyamwutiam

Back up

I am really looking for some input on this. I do have a skyline rolling chassis all lined up and I guess I could take a loan out and finish the car. Not looking to spend more than 15k on the whole thing. Is it possible? What other possibilities do I have if any
Old 11-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Better idea: Spend some $ on the h6. It's an EXTREMELY understressed motor, and could take some boost no problem. Toss the factory ECU, and use the fully programmable AEM 6 cylinder computer, it's around $1000 or so... then install larger injectors, bigger fuel pump, and bigger exhaust. Add a turbo system, tune it (easily and quickly with the AEM, since it's basically made specifically to do this), and viola. You have one fast SVX.

Don't forget the tranny cooler though. :P

- Rob
Old 11-26-2003, 10:45 AM
iyamwutiam

Better idea

Ok - well I can defnitely explore that option. I am in touch with a guy from Japan who is selling titanium turbo's for WRXs - he thinks it is possible to make a turbo but would need manifold reworking.
Exhaust and fuel injectors not a problem since - (I hope) we can prolly use models beings used on wrxs .
Exhaust on my list for the spring.
What exactly should be done to the engine- unfortunately I have NOT read anything on the board about successful boosting of this engine - except with Nitrous. So if someone can provide a link I would appreciate it.

I have heard a LOT of good things about Nissan Skylines and I can get basically a rolling chassis for a very reasonable price. So the other option may actually be to build up around the sklyline chassis.