How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 PM

'92 LS-L AWD Squealing Noise

Hey guys,

I am now the proud owner of a 92 SVX LS-L AWD! I just got it last weekend and had a quick question...

The car passed PA inspection and my mechanic said the brakes and rotors were ok. However, I keep getting this squealing noise that is intermittant. It seems to come from only the left (driver's) side of the car, and as soon as i even TAP the brake pedal, the squeal stops until I release it. I cannot figure out if it is coming from the front / rear / both. Any thoughts on what this could be?

It sound just like the wear sensors but I don't see how that could be if the pads were ok. My friend's dad is my mechanic, so I know he isn't screwing me over by lying to me about the condition of the brakes...

Anyway, any help you guys could provide is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan Taney
angrydan@n2wha.com
Old 11-18-2003, 12:44 AM
MarXVS

Do I understand you correctly, the squealing is always there and goes away when you tap the brakes?

My experience sounds similar - but different. Squealing when just lightly touching the brakes, but only when the weather has been dry. I've had new brakes all around and it still happens so it's not the squealers. I was told the materials in newer pads are harder (no asbestos or something like that) and tend to squeal a lot, but if that were the case we'd be hearing lots of squealing in traffic all the time.

Maybe in your case the pads/calipers haven't released completely and are stuck just barely rubbing (enough to squeal) but increased pressure when you brake makes it stop. If this is the issue (as it was in my case) perhaps lubricating the calipers might release them more. It's notoriously hard to identify what brake or even side might be the culprit, but is one (or more) rotors very hot after normal driving - enough to boil off spit in an instant. Then it probably isn't releasing completely and is in nearly constant contact.

That's my guess anyway.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:15 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Oh you may want to work up gradually to a few high speed stops with heavy braking. It doesn't cost anything and may clean off the rotors and pads, you know rust and stuff if the SVX has been sitting. It may also show up some more serious problems if present. After that it like what MARXVS (neat handle )says, sticking pads and or calipher.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:38 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Do your brakes have shims?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-18-2003, 11:21 AM

Just to clarify... the noise starts happening while i am driving. If i tap the brakes even slightly, the noise STOPS. It will slowly return again. Tapping the brakes always makes the squealing stop.

BurgundyBeast: I do not know if my brakes have shims. I am not familiar with that term... I'm not the sharpest when it comes to braking systems. The car IS going into the shop tomorrow for the left CV joint, so I can ask him that question if you can explain to me where you are going with the shim idea.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far, hopefully we will find a solution soon!

-Dan Taney
angrydan@n2wha.com
Old 11-18-2003, 11:33 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Shims are little pieces of metal that are supposed to go on between the calipers and the pads.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:24 PM

Seraph, I will ask my mechanic tomorrow when he does the cv joints to look at the pads more closely and check the shims.

Thanks for your help! Hopefully, that is the problem. However, any other comments / thoughts are welcome!

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:28 PM
No longer blue member

As Lwin said, they're little metal plates that go between the pads and the calipers. Shims are the most common (IMHO) cause of brake squealling noises, although usually the squealling would *start* when you press the brakes instead of stop (from vibrations). I was thinking that maybe they were put in incorrectly, causing them to rub until you press the brake. Then they would be pressed against the calipers evenly until you let off the brakes and they went back to their previous position. Just a thought if you've already tried braking to wear off any rust as John suggested.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-21-2003, 11:13 AM

Good call with the brake shims! That's exactly what he was. He said they were a little bent. He fixed them up and everything is nice and quiet now!

Thanks to all those who contriubted their suggestions!
Old 11-21-2003, 11:17 AM
No longer blue member

Welcome

01' MSM Lexus IS300