Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-02-2019, 01:34 PM

I have a mystery oil leak. Anyone have an idea what it is?

I have had some problems finding a leak. Originally I replaced the valve cover gaskets and that fixed most of the leak, and then I replaced all the front seals (cam, crank, and cam caps), and I still haven't been able to figure out where the leak is. After pressure washing this morning, I waited half an hour and looked back under. The oil is pooling under the valve cover, at the back (lowest point on the engine) and was there within half of an hour of washing.

I am fairly sure that I put all the valve cover gaskets on the right way, and that they aren't twisted or anything like that. I just replaced the cam caps which were leaking (passenger side), so it is none of those front seals.

Is there anything I could do to diagnose this other than visually inspecting, and has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited by johnsvx; 09-02-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: I have a mystery oil leak. Anyone have an idea what it is?

If you are certain it is engine oil, put die in it and get a uv light to trace it. Did you replace the grommets that the valve cover bolts go through? Did you properly torque those bolts?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Those steel/rubber washers that go through the valve cover to the engine block is a definite possibility for leakage. They take very little torque on the bolts to seat the washers and seal them properly. Just tighten them down until they are snug and then just a little more. I use a 1/4” torque wrench in inch-pounds.

I have seen people tighten them down way too much, causing them too to distort and leak. Take it easy...This is not the drain bolt on your oil pan.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 09-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The valve cover bolts have a shank on them, they won't overcompress the valve cover gaskets; over torqueing is just bad for the bolts/heads. If you didn't change the gaskets on the bolts they are probably leaking for just that reason--the shank on the bolts won't let you tighten down on the already compressed gaskets.

Use only OEM gaskets

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 09-04-2019, 11:28 PM

I didn't use OEM gaskets, but the kit I used fit well and was the silicone rubber type. It did come with new bolt seals. From what you're saying, I definitely did tighten them down too much. I will go through and loosen and retighten them tomorrow and hopefully that fixes it. Will update after. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

A member here provided a set of valve cover gaskets on eBay to have svxfiles install them. On initial inspection they looked fine so TOM installed them.

Once the engine got up to operating tembprature, the valve covers strarted leaking in several places. No matter what OT did he could not seal the leak.

He took them out and installed OEM gaskets. Problem solved.

The member thought he was saving about $20.00, but in the end it cost him over $100.00 more.

There must have been a very slight difference in size or material
That was used for manufacture.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:30 PM
H6 Fanatic

Registered SVX

Typically, a little bit of (Fuji bond, ultra grey, whatever) is required on the valve cover gaskets at the sharp corners by the front cam caps, on the 4-cyls at least. They seem to have trouble smooshing in there, without the goop mine always leak. Seems to be more prevalent on the dohc motors.

1993 Legacy sedan : winter beater, supposedly.
1994 Legacy wagon : future drift car?
1995 Impreza coupe : EZ30++, daily racecar.
1997 Legacy GT : date night rocket?
2003 WRX : future winter beater
Old 09-05-2019, 02:13 PM

I did have to use some silicone rubber to hold the gasket in place on the cover while I installed it, so I am familiar with that. As far as I can tell everything on the gaskets themselves are seal real well, so I'm definitely leaning (and hoping) that I tightened the bolts down too much and that's where it's leaking from.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:25 AM

So I spent the other afternoon retightening everything. Leak is still there. Looks like I'll spend an afternoon reinstalling all the gaskets.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Check out this thread
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...8&d=1276453965

Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Followed this last time. Definitely helps to have on hand, made the whole process easier. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 PM

Registered SVX

Did you solve the leak? I have one that has oil for front brake to break side to side like 2qt in 30 miles just got the car runs great leaks like hell.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:26 PM

Still have not found it. I will be pulling off the covers one of these days to find and fix it for sure.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:58 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxnavyvet View Post
Did you solve the leak? I have one that has oil for front brake to break side to side like 2qt in 30 miles just got the car runs great leaks like hell.
To leak 2 quarts in 30 miles, I'd guess your oil filter or oil pump is leaking,(or your drain plug is loose) it would almost have to be pressurized oil, to leak that much, that fast...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"