How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2003, 07:16 PM

thinking thoughtfully...

(…actually, this is all academic for me, as I will not be a customer for this or any other Subaru. I miss belonging to a marque car club and have decided that will dictate my next car buy. The Outback will continue as my daily ride & kayak hauler and the SVX will continue as basic transport for missus seasvx. A Corvette is my next objective. Not because I want to go smoke tires (the power to weight ratio of an early C4 is within a whisker of the SVX) or because it’s an old guy’s sports car (although I guess I qualify). It’s because there’s at least 10 Corvette clubs here in Washington alone, never mind Oregon or California, with a huge calendar of activities all year (tours, rallies, picnics, dinners, charity runs, ad infinitum). I wish I had one now to be able to participate in the 50th anniversary events. I wish it were different but the there is just not enough enthusiast SVX owners to form the critical mass for a marque club, with the opportunities of a Corvette or MG club.)
Old 03-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Hater

what the hell happened to good looking cars? the RX-8, the new BMW's, and now this SVX successor? BIG YUK!

its surprising that the folks who have good enough taste to own an SVX would find this car appealing - i'm not talking about the internals (i like them alot!), but its really an ugly car. smooth lines and rounded shapes mixed with sharp edges and triangular headlights - it just is a bad mix of styles, IMHO. edgy design, fine. smooth design, fine. but a mix of the two? bad taste.

send Mr. Alfa back to Italy in exchange for someone from the Ferrari camp (NOT the guy who did the Enzo, though!)

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-06-2003, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
... the RX-8, the new BMW's, the Enzo, and now this SVX successor? BIG YUK!
...agreed. on all counts.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Imprez-ionable?

Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha

You're absolutely right James. The "new SVX" needs more of the SVX in it's design. But being based on the Impreza, it's not long enough to have a sleek beautiful shape and accomodate four large adults.

Phil.
You sure about this Phil? Does the new car use an Impreza chassis?

They could make it longer. Randy looked for longer also. There is almost no rear overhang. But if what you are saying is correct, they will be stuck with similar dimensions all up.

I always thought the SVX chassis had more in common with the Legacy, but maybe you are right.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSK

Joe,
couldn't have said any better!

I guess some of you guys just can't get out of the head the SVX. This isn't an SVX, it's an autobahn sprinter.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Cheers, RSK
Hi RSK

Have you been/are you going to Geneva to see it in the flesh??

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-07-2003, 08:06 AM
RSK

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Hi RSK

Have you been/are you going to Geneva to see it in the flesh??

Joe
Yeah, I'm gonna see it on the weekend. Kind of excited. Waited for a car like this for a long time

-------------------

I guess the main reason why we cannot agree on the design is that Subaru never really had a classy outline which lasted longer than a single release generation... And now they suddenly come up with artificially created remarks. I agree it's strange at the very first sight.
However, you have to start it somewhere, right? Back in the old days Aston Martin, Mercedes, etc. did the same thing: they needed to create an image for the car.

Besides, I think nowadays it's a common thing at japanese manufacturers pursuing desperately some kind of style and image for the brand. Just think of Honda and the last 10 years of ongoing changes on the cars' chassis...god, they suck miserably!

At least this one keeps up with the show: Audi, SAAB, BMW and the others. You guys just have to be a little more patient and try to get use to the fine details.

Some high quality pictures also available at the hungarian subaru club site:
http://www.subaruklub.hu/galeria/hatter/concept.html

Sorry for the long post... Cheers
Old 03-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Phil & Belha

Re: Imprez-ionable?

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

You sure about this Phil? Does the new car use an Impreza chassis?

I was just going by something I read on a motoring news website. Perhaps the journalist made it up, it wouldn't be the first time.

I have a feeling that by the time this car comes to production, if it ever does, the 400 horsepower will be down to 280 horsepower - or 230 for the american market ;-)

Phil.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RSK

Yeah, I'm gonna see it on the weekend. Kind of excited. Waited for a car like this for a long time

-------------------

I guess the main reason why we cannot agree on the design is that Subaru never really had a classy outline which lasted longer than a single release generation... And now they suddenly come up with artificially created remarks. I agree it's strange at the very first sight.
However, you have to start it somewhere, right? Back in the old days Aston Martin, Mercedes, etc. did the same thing: they needed to create an image for the car.

Besides, I think nowadays it's a common thing at japanese manufacturers pursuing desperately some kind of style and image for the brand. Just think of Honda and the last 10 years of ongoing changes on the cars' chassis...god, they suck miserably!

At least this one keeps up with the show: Audi, SAAB, BMW and the others. You guys just have to be a little more patient and try to get use to the fine details.

Some high quality pictures also available at the hungarian subaru club site:
http://www.subaruklub.hu/galeria/hatter/concept.html

Sorry for the long post... Cheers
Thanks for the great link RSK. Enjoy the show.

No need to apologise [to me anyway] about long posts. I invented them.

Let us know how you get on. Ask them if this is likely to be Subaru's replacement for the SVX, tell them you are an SVX owner and have been waiting.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:
what the hell happened to good looking cars? the RX-8, the new BMW's, and now this SVX successor? BIG YUK!

its surprising that the folks who have good enough taste to own an SVX would find this car appealing
And you own a wrx...I dont think you have room to talk.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: thinking thoughtfully...

Quote:
Originally posted by seasvx
(…actually, this is all academic for me, as I will not be a customer for this or any other Subaru. I miss belonging to a marque car club and have decided that will dictate my next car buy. The Outback will continue as my daily ride & kayak hauler and the SVX will continue as basic transport for missus seasvx. A Corvette is my next objective. Not because I want to go smoke tires (the power to weight ratio of an early C4 is within a whisker of the SVX) or because it’s an old guy’s sports car (although I guess I qualify). It’s because there’s at least 10 Corvette clubs here in Washington alone, never mind Oregon or California, with a huge calendar of activities all year (tours, rallies, picnics, dinners, charity runs, ad infinitum). I wish I had one now to be able to participate in the 50th anniversary events. I wish it were different but the there is just not enough enthusiast SVX owners to form the critical mass for a marque club, with the opportunities of a Corvette or MG club.)
Some good points, Jim. It is a shame a car as rare as ours can not have the same type of following as much more common cars. These little SVX events are the closest I've ever gotten to a marque car club type of deal, and I like it. Unfortunately it has now given me a taste and I want so much more than this car's limited following can offer. Everyone on her by now has probably seen my occasional gripes about how in this area we must have hundreds of SVXes but hardly any members here. I don't blame you. And missus SVX will still get to enjoy driving this wonderful car!

P.S. I'd be right in line after you looking to buy a Corvette (dream car since I knew what a car was). But now I'll probably have to wait 20 years or so until my future children are graduated high school. Maybe you'll be ready to sell yours to me by then.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac

Ouch!

I'll have to look up the RX8 again. It's gotten a lot of flack on this thread, I've got to see how terrible it looks.

Looks and style aside, one thing I do like about this new concept and the RX8, is the idea of the rear suicide doors, which in turn inters there is more room in the back seat. Comfortable seating for 4 adults, with easy access to the back seat, in a car that doesn't quite look like a sedan is really cool, IMHO. Yeah, I guess if you want a sporty car you shouldn't worry about those things, but my priorities are starting to change now that my wife and I are looking at kids in the next year or so. And I know from experience it is no fun getting kids in and out of the back seat of a coupe. Not to mention when family comes from out of town, you want to go out with friends, etc, four adults in our two coupes has not been very fun.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 03-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac

its my wife's car- and it looks like a Bugatti compared to the B11S. are Nissan Pulsar owners even allowed to comment on the subject of automotive styling?

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-07-2003, 07:39 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Cool

<are Nissan Pulsar owners even allowed to comment on the subject of automotive styling? >

Ouch II !

<I guess the main reason why we cannot agree on the design is that Subaru never really had a classy outline which lasted longer than a single release generation... And now they suddenly come up with artificially created remarks. I agree it's strange at the very first sight.
However, you have to start it somewhere, right? Back in the old days Aston Martin, Mercedes, etc. did the same thing: they needed to create an image for the car>

An good point. Subby has never found it's version of the BMW kidney grill, but those lasting styling clues tend to only stay with more expensive models. Other than the badges, most styling has been all over the place. Compare all the Civic models over the years for example. Certain models stick with an element long enough to "own" it.....Pontiac grills, Corvette taillights.

Maybe Subaru should use a version of the Alcyone symbol encorporated somewhere in each car's styling clues!

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 03-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
[BMaybe Subaru should use a version of the Alcyone symbol encorporated somewhere in each car's styling clues![/B]
Is that in addition to the large hood scoop that will probably be added to all the turbo Subaru's?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:

its my wife's car- and it looks like a Bugatti compared to the B11S. are Nissan Pulsar owners even allowed to comment on the subject of automotive styling?
It is a '87 that i paid 1850 for that looks better then a WRX and gets way better gas milage...but they are also down right ugly. Once i have my 5-speed SVX it is gone... So there