SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Registered SVX
Front cv axle advise

Hello All,

Looking for advise on front passenger CV Axle on 92 SVX LSL 103k, 4.44 Swap by Budfreak at 89k/2009. The outer boot is torn and I need to repair original axle.

1. Factory OEM part $380
2. SSP Recycler $65 (but skeptical if an OEM part or not - the pic shows the 'cup' near the inner boot as black in color - thought they were all 'green'.
3. Rebuild the left one I have that I replaced last year at dealer (used an Autozone one prior and vibrated like crazy, then needed to get OEM unit - big $) Now the right one is out!

I hope this is the cause for the ticking sound I am hearing behind the dash (hear more clearly inside the car with windows up vs down). Jacked up front and rotated both left, then right wheel/tires but could not repeat the ticking noise. Maybe has to be under load to hear ticking repeat?

It has been ticking for a pretty long time (just thought it was something in dash or speedo cable (but I see there is none - SVX has sensors - so that is ruled out). Was just a slow tick that aligned with road speed. Getting it back in action for the winter and the tick appears a bit louder/frequent but still aligned to road speed forward and reverse, in gear or neutral.

Pray that its the CV axle and not the diff as I've read on some of the SVX blogs that others have run into.

I am leaning on trying to swap out the axle myself as I have the impact wrench, jack, etc - might need a couple tools.

Hope to make it to the 25th Anniv Celebration in May for encore from 10 year Anniv. Appreciate any guidance and thoughts on path to go with.

Thanks all,

Shawn
Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM

Re: Front cv axle advise

https://www.amazon.com/SB86238623-fr...ype=automotive

I bought these off Amazon and replaced both fronts about 2 years ago...so far so good. Good price too
Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 PM

It sounds like you have a good handle on a DIY half axle swap out...let me know if you want to hear my "how to"...
Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 PM

Registered SVX

I have the same ticking sound. I am not sure of the source, though it seems to have started when I had the axles changed.
Let us know if you find a solution.
Bill Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8AGN2 View Post
Hello All,

Looking for advise on front passenger CV Axle on 92 SVX LSL 103k, 4.44 Swap by Budfreak at 89k/2009. The outer boot is torn and I need to repair original axle.

1. Factory OEM part $380
2. SSP Recycler $65 (but skeptical if an OEM part or not - the pic shows the 'cup' near the inner boot as black in color - thought they were all 'green'.
3. Rebuild the left one I have that I replaced last year at dealer (used an Autozone one prior and vibrated like crazy, then needed to get OEM unit - big $) Now the right one is out!

I hope this is the cause for the ticking sound I am hearing behind the dash (hear more clearly inside the car with windows up vs down). Jacked up front and rotated both left, then right wheel/tires but could not repeat the ticking noise. Maybe has to be under load to hear ticking repeat?

It has been ticking for a pretty long time (just thought it was something in dash or speedo cable (but I see there is none - SVX has sensors - so that is ruled out). Was just a slow tick that aligned with road speed. Getting it back in action for the winter and the tick appears a bit louder/frequent but still aligned to road speed forward and reverse, in gear or neutral.

Pray that its the CV axle and not the diff as I've read on some of the SVX blogs that others have run into.

I am leaning on trying to swap out the axle myself as I have the impact wrench, jack, etc - might need a couple tools.

Hope to make it to the 25th Anniv Celebration in May for encore from 10 year Anniv. Appreciate any guidance and thoughts on path to go with.

Thanks all,

Shawn
Old 02-26-2017, 03:15 PM

Registered SVX

Many thanks for the referrals and Amazon link - I will order those axles plan to try the swap myself.

Please shoot me your 'how-to' FasterAct - much obliged!

Will let you'll know how it goes and an update on the ticking (hope it goes away).

Shawn
Old 02-26-2017, 04:10 PM

PM sent...feel free to paste and copy to Forum if you want. My smartphone makes a shabbles of posting directly to the Forum.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:54 AM

Registered SVX

Easy enough to do.. Only tricky part is the off set connection pin and breaking the ball joint loose .Break the axel bolt before lifting the car. You Need to get it high enough off the ground. The higher the better.