SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlm30 View Post
Hi mike
Glad to see the car TLC she deserves. Now let's see more pics
I'll get some more, this weekend it's the headliner!

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-09-2014, 10:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to trueblue
Registered SVX

Installed a new starter relay today, thanks to the post on the forum I knew where to look for it. Thank you much for the help!

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. -Winston Churchill

My baby: 94 lsi
My fast baby: 2001 Suzuki Marauder
My new baby: 2010 Subaru Outback
Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The only thing that wasn't original was the new replacement center hex cap was silver painted plastic instead of the metal ones that came originally.

Using a BBS-recommended lead, I found a company in Viechtach, Germany which is making me a set in highly polished aluminum. Using CAD drawings and a CNC machine to mill them from scratch, no castings, they are exact reproductions of the originals. Hand polished and ready in about 2 weeks.

The only down side is they are polished aluminum and not chrome, anodized or clear coated. Looks like maintenance is the old school of hand polishing. No Dremel on these.

Should provide just enough of the original and subtle "bling". Photos later

To complete the look on the polo, BBS also has a set of center caps that are rare, being dark green with gold logo. I said if they could make a set of green ones with the silver logos, I would be very interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Got the JDM BBS wheels and tires remounted and reinstalled Today.

I had a quart of silver paint sent from BBS direct from Germany (at $100/quart) No air shipping, so it took a while. BBS is very protective of their paint code and won't release it to anyone.

The wheels were stripped , resprayed and then clear powder coated. Transwheel used some of the leftover paint to paint a panel that could be scanned with a spectrophotometer and mixed by PPG. Transwheel now has an exact perfect match for the BBS wheels in case I, or anyone else need it in the future.

The problem before was that they couldn't get a big enough flat area of the wheel to scan. The spokes and waffle-weave center caps were not smooth enough or to get a reading.

Transwheel did a fantastic job and did not charge me for refinishing the wheels.

Complete silver, no polished outer rim as before. A brighter, more metallic finish and a perfect match to the center caps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBS aluminum hex.jpg (14.0 KB, 981 views)
File Type: jpg BBS wheel center cap _painted.jpg (216.7 KB, 994 views)
File Type: jpg Green center cap.jpg (32.2 KB, 978 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-13-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Hello John,

Old BBS rims are scattered all over my country. They install them on old BMWs. Are you sure that those caps only fit the SVX BBS rims? I am sure I can find you a set of covers just in case.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Fairmont State University

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

New front brake discs. The shaking and pulsating through the pedal was getting to be unbearable.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 06-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Danny,

Thanks for the offer. Most of the BBS rims use a center cap which is threaded. The JDM wheels are unique and have the really high offset. Their caps are not threaded.

Normal BBS caps (large or small thread) Available in full height (left) and half height (right) The center hex cap is aluminum and threaded and attaches by threading it into the center section of the wheel.

The JDM caps are thinner and not threaded.
Uses a different fastening system altogether. The OEM JDM centers were a metallic finish and the factory BBS replacements are now a silver painted plastic cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Hello John,

Old BBS rims are scattered all over my country. They install them on old BMWs. Are you sure that those caps only fit the SVX BBS rims? I am sure I can find you a set of covers just in case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Center cap.jpg (54.9 KB, 1156 views)
File Type: jpg cap parts.jpg (94.0 KB, 977 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-12-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Worked on broken door sills. We were never happy with the foam tape method of holding the door sills on. After we pulled the d/s sill and found it had been glued down several times with different glues we wanted to find a better method. Someone here or elsewhere mentioned that the sill is thick enough to allow careful use of use some flat headed screws that gave us an idea. We checked the local Ace hardware and found 5mm SS flat hd screws about 25mm long and some nylon grommet nuts that would work with those screws. Also got a fresh supply of PC7 epoxy which is drill-able/tap-able after hardening for a couple of days. (PC7 because it is modeling clay thick after mixing). For the missing clip retainers we used the grommet nuts. They had to be trimmed to fit in the retainer slots (must be a very tight fit). See the first picture. For the intact retainers we filled them with PC7 (hopefully enough that it squeezed out the retainers to add strength). See the second picture. Then drilled and tapped into the epoxy. Final result shown on figure 3. Seems nice and strong and rattle proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grommet nut installed.jpg (165.9 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg retainer filled with PC7 epoxy.jpg (151.9 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg 5mm flat hd machine screw.jpg (188.8 KB, 484 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 06:25 AM

Very nice car, I'm sure you will have wonderful time with a lot of TLC, not to
mention tons of fun to drive & tweak your new car!!
Long live SVX Owners & their fantastic hobby!! My father bought his 1st Mercedes in the early 50's unheard in Lansing, Mi. at the time and my mother's first car was a three cylinder two-srotke DKW in 1960! My Mother came to Japan three years ago and drove my 1995 S3, so impressed she returned to the states and purchased a 3.6 Legacy!! She will never own a 2 wheel drive again!!
Uniqueness Rules!!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

If your sun visors ever droop glue is in no way shape or form an acceptable means of repair.

after

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Mouse house!

I thought they sounded funny

Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Michael, is that car at Harry's U-Pull It?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Michael, is that car at Harry's U-Pull It?
No, My driveway

Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
No, My driveway
Insert foot in mouth.

That must be the car you bought from Pearlm30. Guess it has been sitting for a bit?
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-15-2014, 03:34 PM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

Must have been, there was a ton of acorns under the back seat too! No worries tho, It will be in proper form soon enough. Undoing southern damage is much easier than NEPA winter damage Mouse nest is now gone and replaced with a new set of JBL 6x9's Next up is repainting the wiper arms and wheels.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Must have been, there was a ton of acorns under the back seat too! No worries tho, It will be in proper form soon enough. Undoing southern damage is much easier than NEPA winter damage Mouse nest is now gone and replaced with a new set of JBL 6x9's Next up is repainting the wiper arms and wheels.
HA! Be glad you don't have NWPA winter damage

Good to see some good progress on it.

I just picked up a 93 loyale 5spd push button 4wd wagon. I may do fun stuff eventually, but for now I have enough projects. It's just difficult to not want to modify a 2200 lb wagon