Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 02:20 PM
ex SVX owner - still keen tho

Question 18x9s - tyre size for the back

With all my investigation into wheels and tyre combos...are you sure about running 225s there not as wide as 235, and for your rear set with a 9in rim you would have to run at least 265s or higher as 225s won't be wide enough...the idea of running the same tyre across all the wheels is right..thats why I wanted to know if anyone had got 265s on all around, as they nearly put another inch of rubber on the ground...in Oz the Transport Dept/insurance companies are fussy about about correct tyre widths/profiles that can be run..

I'll check out your combos avail in Oz, and their thoughts

I think if we run a fatter tyre on the back that will upset the AWD tracking...which I know you are trying to avoid..but I'll ask the question as to how it can be done

Dave

Old 02-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: 18x9s - tyre size for the back

Quote:
Originally posted by grnSVX96
With all my investigation into wheels and tyre combos...are you sure about running 225s there not as wide as 235, and for your rear set with a 9in rim you would have to run at least 265s or higher as 225s won't be wide enough...the idea of running the same tyre across all the wheels is right..thats why I wanted to know if anyone had got 265s on all around, as they nearly put another inch of rubber on the ground...in Oz the Transport Dept/insurance companies are fussy about about correct tyre widths/profiles that can be run..

I'll check out your combos avail in Oz, and their thoughts

I think if we run a fatter tyre on the back that will upset the AWD tracking...which I know you are trying to avoid..but I'll ask the question as to how it can be done

Dave

The pirelli p zero nero m+S 225 tires I'm running are spec'd for mounting on 8-9 inch wheels. Putting them on the 9's will actually help with the clearance as while they are sitting out wider they will also be curing in more on the upper edges towards the tread.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:37 AM

Question re tyres

michael
perhaps I've misunderstood your tyre description..and the 225s you refer are perhaps... the type of pattern from Pirelli and not as I thought for eg 235/40x18..referring to the profile/width..

DR

I didn't get a chance as yet to ask about the wheels today

David in Oz
Old 02-20-2004, 03:03 AM
Just some dude.

Re: re tyres

Quote:
michael
perhaps I've misunderstood your tyre description..and the 225s you refer are perhaps... the type of pattern from Pirelli and not as I thought for eg 235/40x18..referring to the profile/width..

DR

I didn't get a chance as yet to ask about the wheels today

David in Oz

No 225 is the width....and they are spec'ed to be mounted on 8"-9" wide wheels. Here are the exact specs:
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S
Model: 225/40WR18 88W SL
UTQG: 400 AA A
Max load: 1235lbs.
Max pressure: 51psi
Tread depth: 11/32nds
Rim width range: 8-9"
rim width specs measured at: 8"
sect width: 8.9"
tread width: NA
Overal diameter: 25.1"
Revolutions per mile: 828
Old 02-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Just some dude.

I fitted the 18x9 +35 offset a couple of days ago with the same 225-45-18 pirelli pzero nero +m&s tires. They did fit but I didn't like the look. They just stuck out too far and while the tires did mount and ride ok on the wheels the sidwalls didn't sit square. It half looked good sitting so wide but it also half looked like a kids car that had wheels stuck on it that didn't fit right.

I went back to 18x8 +49 offset all the way around. They make the same 18x8 in a +40 and +30 offset which i could go to for a happy medium but at this point I'm not sure i feel it's worth the effort.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:42 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
I fitted the 18x9 +35 offset a couple of days ago with the same 225-45-18 pirelli pzero nero +m&s tires. They did fit but I didn't like the look. They just stuck out too far and while the tires did mount and ride ok on the wheels the sidwalls didn't sit square. It half looked good sitting so wide but it also half looked like a kids car that had wheels stuck on it that didn't fit right.

I went back to 18x8 +49 offset all the way around. They make the same 18x8 in a +40 and +30 offset which i could go to for a happy medium but at this point I'm not sure i feel it's worth the effort.
If its not too late, can you take a picture of the car with the 18x9 +35 wheels installed? I'd like to see a few close-ups of the clearance betweent he fender and the tire. Interesting for the records.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

If its not too late, can you take a picture of the car with the 18x9 +35 wheels installed? I'd like to see a few close-ups of the clearance betweent he fender and the tire. Interesting for the records.

Too late. I removed them already. There was no extra clearance that's for sure. If i put wider tires on the wheels so that they sat square with the rim they wouldn't have fit.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Just some dude.

and just in case you didn't catch it before...that was on the back only...the 18x8 +49's completely fill the front with no space to spare. Theya are the perfect wheel for the front and look good all around. I was just pressing things to really try and fill out the back.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
To my knowledge ROH is the only company that makes wheels for offset widths like this for high end japaneese sports cars.
Volk, SSR, BBS, Weds, Work, Advan and other high end wheel makers offer wide, high-offset wheels with our BCP. Cost can be however.

Todd
Old 02-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Volk, SSR, BBS, Weds, Work, Advan and other high end wheel makers offer wide, high-offset wheels with our BCP. Cost can be however.

Todd
Not with different wheel widths with offsets to make the inside match and put more on the outside of the back for larger fender wells.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:34 PM

Smile Wheels and more

I am now about to do the wheel and tyre scenario, i'm still sticking to 18x8s all round, hopefully with a 40 to 45 offset, what i'm keen to do is try a slightly wider tyre than 235 on the 8in rim...

You've answered the 265 widths from your experiment for the front..and I think running two different tyre widths front to back..ie fatter wider on the back..other than rotation could be an issue with AWD and tracking..???

But I'd like to try a 245 or 250 width if there's such an animal, with the lower offset [40 at bets] all round [same widths both ends]..that's probably the best compromise...

Those Drifter r's will soon be avail in Oz and will be expensive, at around $400+AUD each !!, most wheels I've been looking at $250 - $350 AUD a piece.

i'll keep this thread up dated for the final outcome with pics...
having a new Viper alarm fitted today.

Dave 2 in Oz
Old 02-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Just some dude.

Re: Wheels and more

Quote:
I am now about to do the wheel and tyre scenario, i'm still sticking to 18x8s all round, hopefully with a 40 to 45 offset, what i'm keen to do is try a slightly wider tyre than 235 on the 8in rim...

You've answered the 265 widths from your experiment for the front..and I think running two different tyre widths front to back..ie fatter wider on the back..other than rotation could be an issue with AWD and tracking..???

But I'd like to try a 245 or 250 width if there's such an animal, with the lower offset [40 at bets] all round [same widths both ends]..that's probably the best compromise...

Those Drifter r's will soon be avail in Oz and will be expensive, at around $400+AUD each !!, most wheels I've been looking at $250 - $350 AUD a piece.

i'll keep this thread up dated for the final outcome with pics...
having a new Viper alarm fitted today.

Dave 2 in Oz
Dave, I'd be careful.

You can probably get away with the +45 offset on an 8 inch wide wheel but I'm not so sure about the +40. Looking at my 8 inch wide wheels I don't think you have another 9mm on the outside to play with. I know it seems like a small difference but I think it will be just enough to make your life misserable. The 8 inch wheels I have with the +49 offset already completely fill the outside of the fender well up front. I'd get as close to it as you can otherwise you might have to go down to a 7.5" wide wheel. All these stories you hear of people using wheels with lower offsets are much skinnier wheels...usually down to a 7".
Old 02-27-2004, 07:13 AM
'E'

hi Dave

i've just read all the posts about your choice of wheels and for your info i currently run 18x8 front and rear with 245/40's up front and 265/35's at the back. the offset is the same as the ford falcon au series (same stud pattern with 36 offset). handling is great and gives the svx a nice fat look. i've been running this combo for 2 years now, i will post photo later today. i'm in the process of upgrading to 19x8 with 245/35's on the front and 19x9 with 265/30's on the rear, 8's and 245's is about the limit on the front but i think if you played around with the offset 9's with 275 or 285's on the rear you just need to make sure rolling diametre is the same.

ps for those of you with a vortex the same set up will fit and looks very sexy.

'E'
Old 02-27-2004, 07:15 AM

Exclamation Thanks for the tip

it interesting what you say about..the intent of the lower offset is to push the wheel further out of the guard..

My green car has 18s with a 48 offset [7.5in wide] - check out my Locker] but comparing how they sit to the std 16x7.5 with 55 offset it "looks' like the std wheel sits out of the guard more
.. but perhaps the style of the std wheel ie not dish like and full looking that creates the look..
did you see the thread from the European guys where Sub over there had as an option a Lexus looking rim...

Anyway early next week will be doing the wheel fitout..

Thanks for the 'heads up'

Dave
Old 02-27-2004, 07:33 AM
'E'

Dave its good to see you're a night owl like me. the deep dish look is what i was trying to acheive, my csa rims definitely have deeper dish look than your current rims, the 36 offset also makes it possible to fit wrx 4 pot calipers with plenty of clearance which is a nice brake upgrade.

by the way congratulations on the second svx, it must be like having a mistress

'E'