SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Post engine swap troubles

Hey all. So I have pulled the blown engine from my blue car and replaced it with the engine from my wrecked white car after adding a set of LAN's cams. It seems to be running pretty well (no CEL even), except for one issue. There is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Only a little at idle, but a lot once you rev it a little.

The smoke is white-ish and smells more like burned oil than coolant. The engine had been sitting since last August. Any ideas where it could be leaking from? Or anything I should check?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Re: Post engine swap troubles

How long have you run the new engine for ? maybe its old oil in the exhausts?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM

Registered SVX

We let it run for maybe an hour, mostly just idling, but also a test drive around the block.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 06-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Registered SVX

did you try some seafoam through the vac system?
Put some in the fuel to work as an injector cleaner and to reduce the varnish type build up from old gas as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Registered SVX

Seems like a bigger issue than seafoam could deal with.

So far the only ideas I've got are:

Headgasket leaking oil/water into the combustion chambers (unlikely since it seems to be coming from both sides kind of evenly and there was no headgasket issue before the car was wrecked). I don't think headgaskets usually start to leak as a result of sitting

Valve stem seals? Could they have dried out from it sitting for like 10 months?

AACV - based on this kind of old post: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...5&postcount=27
I don't really know about this, but it did inspire me to check all of the vac lines for oil later.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX

Do a compression test to make sure that the rings are sealing properly. I take it you did not re-seal the engine while it was out?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Registered SVX

I did not.

How do I do a compression test?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Registered SVX

There is a compression testing kit you can get at harbor freight. Take one spark plug out at a time and thread the tester kit in. Crank the engine for a bit. The compression should read the same within 10-15 percent on all the cylinders.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Registered SVX

I thought when you did a comp test you take out all the plugs at once? It's been a while(20+ years) since I've done one so i may be wrong.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyo View Post
I thought when you did a comp test you take out all the plugs at once? It's been a while(20+ years) since I've done one so i may be wrong.
I do not believe that to be necessary. However, it is worth looking into.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Registered SVX

Is that doable with the engine in the car?

Why would the rings no longer seal?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Is that doable with the engine in the car?

Why would the rings no longer seal?
I have done it with the engine in the car. The #6 cylinder is a PITA, but is quite doable. I cannot think of a reason that the rings would no longer seal, but a compression test can tell you quite a bit about your engine. Mostly, is it worth picking and resealing if thats what you need to do. Or, if somehow your rings are toast, you will know.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-02-2011, 06:11 PM

The only really issue with plugs in Vs plugs out is you need to be consistant. So don't pull one plug, then pull the next one for the next test without putting the 1st one back or your compression numbers will rise as your testing goes on. This is because plugs out = higher cranking rpm due to less power required to compress the air in that cylinder.

Also don't forget to pull the fuel pump fuse or power wire.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
I have done it with the engine in the car. The #6 cylinder is a PITA, but is quite doable. I cannot think of a reason that the rings would no longer seal, but a compression test can tell you quite a bit about your engine. Mostly, is it worth picking and resealing if thats what you need to do. Or, if somehow your rings are toast, you will know.
Can you think of any other possible sources of oil to the cylinders that I can check until I can pick up a compression tester?

Anyone know a way to tell if the valve stem seals are leaking?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 PM

Registered SVX

Also, does harbor freight usually carry compression test kits in their actual stores or should I order one online?