Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Stalling out issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisjefferyl View Post
So scratch the last post, I got it started and about to take off for a test drive to see what happens. My fingers are still crossed. So now, assuming everything goes well, I just reset the codes and test again for the other sensors?
It takes a little while to burn out all the old fuel your engine has been ingesting while you have been cranking this whole time. When I got mine started after my timing had been reset, my engine sputttered for a full minute and smoked like hell, then it just smoked for a few more minutes, then it cleared up and ran fine. Just take it for a freeway run and get the engine hot to clear out your cats.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

yep, It sputtered, blew all kinds of smoke out, cleared up, and is running awesome again. Feels good to have my subie back on the road. When I was restting the codes after I had driven it, I put both blue wires in slot 1 & 2 on the black 10 pin connector, started the car, and the CEL only read codes for the O2 sensors while the car was running. Does this mean the other codes are cleared? I didnt re-check it with the engine off. Wasnt exactly sure how the resetting part was suppose to work?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisjefferyl View Post
yep, It sputtered, blew all kinds of smoke out, cleared up, and is running awesome again. Feels good to have my subie back on the road. When I was restting the codes after I had driven it, I put both blue wires in slot 1 & 2 on the black 10 pin connector, started the car, and the CEL only read codes for the O2 sensors while the car was running. Does this mean the other codes are cleared? I didnt re-check it with the engine off. Wasnt exactly sure how the resetting part was suppose to work?
Glad the MAF worked for ya man, yeah it seems the O2's are the only thing left, so far. The correct way is to do check the codes with the key on, engine off though. It may take a while for other codes to set, but hopefully the O2s are it. I can recommend the NGK oxygen sensors from Advance Auto parts, they are $50 each and work great.... go with those.

The 2-wire clear is a soft reset, which is ok for clearing the light, but some like to do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a while (>30min). This also makes the ECU go back to default A/F maps so your computer relearns the fuel trim again from scratch.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 05-27-2010 at 11:14 PM.