How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Ca$h

Hi Everybody, don't have one yet, but will! :D

I'm a 21 year old student from Madison, WI who's car addiction is like crack. I love almost all autmobiles, with the exception of 'normal'. This means I hate camaros, mustangs, civics, integras, corvettes etc. I like things cars that scream 'different'. Due to a high amount of watching 'the dukes of hazzard' as a kid, my first car was a 1968 Dodge Charger with a 383/hurst 4 spd. I bought it myself, worked 2 jobs for almost a year and bought it the summer I was 16. I learned how to drive stick in it, how to handle girls in it, everything. Unfortunately, I didn't have a winter car, and someone vandalized my Charger so my parents deemed it 'unsafe'. My grandmother was willing to help me a little and so I purchased a used 1997 Dodge Neon 5 spd. It is an extremely fun car to DRIVE, but the shoddy interior really make it annoying to drive everyday. Earlier this summer I had to sell the charger, I couldn't afford to store it anywhere, nor did I have the time for it. Well, I've been pining over what car to get next, saving my pennies, and been looking all over the place. I sent a letter to my gf (who kinda digs cars, yeah yeah lucky me) and it went like this:

Alright. I got the car thing solved. I wrote down a bunch of cars that I liked (and could afford) and then sorta put them against each other, including performance, insurance, ROOM, and fun. The miata, while fun and affordable, suffers from almost NO trunk, and only 2 seats. The neon, while fun to drive, and cheap, suffers from crappy interior and I can't find one for a good price. Plus the above two both are quasi girly, but not really. So I wanted a car thats fun, bigger, nice interior, fast, and cool and different. For 2 days I was kinda thinking about an Eagle Talon, til I found out how crappy the interior is, but now I've found the answer:

The Subaru SVX.

This was Subarus entrance into the luxury/performance market back in 1992, and they built them til 1997. These things have All Wheel Drive (What snow?!), and an extremely interesting engine. The engine is a fuel injected 3.3 liter boxer engine (same style as a porsche engine, the pistons are 180 from each other). What's weird about it is that it has a special intake manifold, with variable volume. This means at low rpm, the intake manifolds characteristcs are different from when it's at high rpm; it effefectively has 2 intake manifolds to get optimum power/torque at any engine speed. The result? 230 horsepower, 224 ft lbs of torque. Wow. Automobile, the uppity grey poupon euro mag wrote:

"you ought to hear the exhaust note. It's so silky smooth that it makes the Porsche 911 (another flat-six, remember) sound utterly ragged. "

Another cool thing about this car is the abundance of options. Think almost ANY FREAKIN OPTION you can think of. Power moonroof. Power leather. Power heated mirrors. Climate control. Automatic A/C. A winter mode button for the windshield wipers, so they remain in hte upright position and won't get frozen down, heated seats, all sorts of things. This car is FAST too. 0-60 in about 7 seconds, plus or minus. I already checked insurance on em, and its cheaper than my neon, which is cool. And the price? CHEAP. Only 3-5,000, depending on the year. So the toughest decision? What color. I'm hunting for a black one. Anyway here's an article to read about em:

http://www.subarusvx.com/articles/article2.html

Good decision?

- $

Anyway, I've been on the lookout for a black SVX with the touring package, and I've found a low milage one on the east coast. If all goes well I'll be selling the neon in the next few weeks to a guy who's going to turn it into an autocross monster and taking an Amtrak out to go get the SVX. I CAN"T WAIT. I've always liked SVXs, I just didn't know I could afford one. Anyway, wish me luck, and you'll probably see a lot more of me here.

Later,

Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Ca$h

There's my charger when I first got her. Stupid stinkbug stance and huge rear wheels. Blech. I dropped her back down so she sat nice and low, and slapped some different rims and tires on her. VERY fast car. Hehehe.

There's my 97 Neon SOHC 5 spd. It was outfitted with a DOHC muffler, aluminum strut bars back and front, KYB GR2 hi perf struts, stiffened FMM, 16" italian wheels with lower profile tires, and the coolest winshield banner on earth. :P Its like a big go-kart. heh.

Anyway, time to move on to an SVX.

- Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 01:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I hope you find an SVX in great condition, and I hope that you enjpy many happy miles in it.

Look for an SVX that's well taken care of. Beaten, the SVX (like any high performance car) will return the favor with expensive and frequent repair bills. Treat it well and it's a joy to own and drive. So find one that's been looked after. It'll cost you a little more, but be more than worth it.

I'm no fan of Neons, but that windshield banner is awesome.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-16-2002, 01:51 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
welcome to the network.

I got a question though. Does any other part of the neon labeled with the right name? ie. door, seat, lights etc.

Again, welcome to the network and enjoy. Give us a call if you need help.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-16-2002, 02:14 PM

Re: Hi Everybody, don't have one yet, but will! :D

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ca$h
[B I learned how to drive stick in it, how to handle girls in it, everything. --

yeah, and we are all really proud of you......

I purchased a used 1997 Dodge Neon 5 spd.--

a very rare car....

For 2 days I was kinda thinking about an Eagle Talon--

yet another rare car......

heated seats--

well i got the top of the line svx and i didn't get heated seats....

This car is FAST too.--

yeah sure maybe for a car that weights almost 4 grand.....

i don't know if this car would be a good one for you. for what you are looking for why don't you just get a supra....

Kelli

sorry guys, i am not in the greatest mood today......
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:52 PM
Ca$h

Thumbs down

Greetings asshole.

Did I ever say a neon or an eagle talon was rare? No, I didn't.
I know what I want. I don't want a performance car, I want a car thats great on the highway, comfortable on long trips, unique, and can handle wisconsin winters. So go sit on a fork, prick.

- Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ca$h
Greetings asshole.

Did I ever say a neon or an eagle talon was rare? No, I didn't.
I know what I want. I don't want a performance car, I want a car thats great on the highway, comfortable on long trips, unique, and can handle wisconsin winters. So go sit on a fork, prick.

- Ca$h
no your mighty analness, but you did say that you wanted a rare car...you said that you were looking at an Eagle talon for a few days, so don't be stupid....

BTW, don't start with me
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:11 PM
Ca$h

An eagle talon TSI is pretty rare. Most talons are stupid FWD NA cars. TSIs are cheap 4wd turbo cars. Don't start with you?! You started on me. I came here because I'm excited about getting a 92 LSL and you have to treat me like crap. You, sir, are an ass.

- Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 03:13 PM

Quote:
An eagle talon TSI is pretty rare. Most talons are stupid FWD NA cars. TSIs are cheap 4wd turbo cars. Don't start with you?! You started on me. I came here because I'm excited about getting a 92 LSL and you have to treat me like crap. You, sir, are an ass.

- Ca$h

i sir am a female first of all, and second of all don't come here talking like you do, you sound like a moron
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 08-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Hater

i'm not getting in the middle of any name calling (i think Kelli can handle herself ), but just wanted to point out that although you can get an SVX on the cheap, in the Subaru parts dept's eyes, it is a $35,000-top-of-the-line-in-its-day car. that means parts and repair work is not cheap. you'd better have some money stored away for maintenance and repair. you could potentially exceed the value of the car in repairs. just be aware of this.

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 08-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

- Ca$h
First of all, you're not talking to a sir when you speak to SHISVX, you are talking to a lady.

Second of all, I'm happy that you are exploring the possibilities of joining us as owners of, what we feel, is a unique automotive experience.

Third of all, please adjust the attitude. I don't know what the other forums you're connected with, allow, but, we really don't like the type of language you are using in your responses.

Again, welcome to the Network. You are welcome to share your experiences, both good and bad. You will find encouragement and help here when the correct tact is used.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Ca$h

I am. I've spent the last 1.5 weeks learning all about them. Apart from the transmission and wheel bearing problem they don't seem to be too unreliable. Bullet proof engines, nice interiors, etc. I've rebuilt a studebaker engine with my dad, replaced head gaskets on my charger's 383, and the neon. I should be ok as long as I don't hit anything.

- Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Ca$h

The only UNTACTFUL thing I see here is this SHISVX who attacked me without reason. I don't get it. I know quite a bit about everything automotive, I'm a car freak, and I respect people. I follow the rule "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it" but apparently the LADY here doesn't. I've shown respect for everyone on this forum, I came here really excited to finally hav found a car that suits me- but I'll be damned if I show respect for someone who attacks me.

- Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Ca$h

Note to SHISVX. I never said I wanted a RARE car. I said I wanted something different.

- Ca$h
Old 08-16-2002, 03:32 PM

Quote:
The only UNTACTFUL thing I see here is this SHISVX who attacked me without reason. I don't get it. I know quite a bit about everything automotive, I'm a car freak, and I respect people. I follow the rule "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it" but apparently the LADY here doesn't. I've shown respect for everyone on this forum, I came here really excited to finally hav found a car that suits me- but I'll be damned if I show respect for someone who attacks me.

- Ca$h
i never attacked you. i simply pointed out somethings that you stated that do not make sense. well, if you are going to continue to whine about it, i suggest you go else where because the people here will not deal with this type of attitude or your mouth.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"