Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
How do I install Subaru Auto-dimming Mirror?

I just bought a new Subaru Auto-dimming mirror that they sell for later models. I figured I would be able to install it in my SVX. After tinkering with it a little bit, I realized that I don't posses enough knowledge in order to install it. In fact, I utterly failed. Therefore, I decided to ask some experts on this website how if anyone has done it before, and if it is even possible to do.

During my attempted installation, I ran in to two problems, and therefore has two major questions.

1. How do I install in on my windshield? Do I have to create a special bracket? I saw someone posted a picture of a bracket sticking out of the roof. Can i get some details on this?

2. The mirror comes with special harness with connector. SVX does not have that type of connector. Therefore, what do i connect it to? There are three wires. I would guess one is power. The other two... I haven't figured it out. One apparently should be somehow related to transmission (when you shift it in rear)

If anyone can contribute, I would be most grateful.

Nikita
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 AM

Re: How do I install Subaru Auto-dimming Mirror?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorush View Post
I just bought a new Subaru Auto-dimming mirror that they sell for later models. I figured I would be able to install it in my SVX. After tinkering with it a little bit, I realized that I don't posses enough knowledge in order to install it. In fact, I utterly failed. Therefore, I decided to ask some experts on this website how if anyone has done it before, and if it is even possible to do.

During my attempted installation, I ran in to two problems, and therefore has two major questions.

1. How do I install in on my windshield? Do I have to create a special bracket? I saw someone posted a picture of a bracket sticking out of the roof. Can i get some details on this?

2. The mirror comes with special harness with connector. SVX does not have that type of connector. Therefore, what do i connect it to? There are three wires. I would guess one is power. The other two... I haven't figured it out. One apparently should be somehow related to transmission (when you shift it in rear)

Nikita
Sorry but you aren't giving us alot of information really. Sounds like you will either have to make a custom bracket or get a bracket for a later model to attach it.
As for the electrical it really depends on the functionality of the mirror, is it just auto dimming? does it have temp or compass? You may find a harness from a later model in the junk yard that you can cut the connector off of to make your own wiring harness. Or you can just try to wiring it yourself. Basically you should try and get the wiring schematics for whatever later model subaru has that feature. Even if it is auto dimming some times they will have multiple wires going to +12vdc pre ignition, post ignition and ground. I would recommend trying to get the later model schematics and go from there.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Nikita
Sorry, I don't have the answer. When I want the lights behind me to dim, I press hard on the right pedal.

Can you come down to the SoCal SVX meet this weekend? If so, PM or check thread.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I'd have to see a picture of the mirror mount to get an idea of how to mount it. As for the wiring, assuming all it needs is power you could drop the headliner and power it off of the map light or sunroof harness. Cut off it's connector and just go with male/female blade connectors.

Edit: The third wire could simple be from the headlight switch. I believe there's a compass in the OEM Subaru mirrors? Could just be for a dimming LED display. I see no reason that the mirror would car if the car were in reverse.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 04-14-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

There are a few different versions of the Subaru Dimming mirror, all that I've seen have a shoe that is cemented to the WS and then the mirror clamps to that. I got one a while back, I was going to try to create a bracket that attached it to the stock mounting point. But it has been sitting on the shelf.

There are also different harnesses and different color's for the wires, so you'll need to find out what year and model it came from to reference the proper FSM's.

The trigger to the reverse switch is to automatically "un-dim" as soon as you shift into "R" even if there are bright lights behind you.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Registered SVX

Would anyone has an electric diagram for any newer subaru?

I think this is for a 2009 model subaru. The part # H501SSA101

I can't even test where the wires are going, because i don't want to burn anything. The only way to do it now is to find a wiring diagram for a 2009 model subaru.
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 04-14-2010, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Would anyone has an electric diagram for any newer subaru?

I think this is for a 2009 model subaru. The part # H501SSA101

I can't even test where the wires are going, because i don't want to burn anything. The only way to do it now is to find a wiring diagram for a 2009 model subaru.
New Subaru's are pre-wired for the auto dimming mirror. They have a plug ready to take the plug from the mirror.

These mirrors are the same as the aftermarket ones. Maybe try to find out the manufacturer of the mirror. It is not made by Subaru. They are supplied to SOA as an option for the cars and the factory pre-wires the cars to allow it to be a "dealer installed" option.

It would be a simple enough procedure to run the required power supply feeds from under the headliner to the center windshield area.

Mounting the mirror is probably different because the newer Subaru vehicles have the mirror mounted on the windshield.

It might be easier to just get an aftermarket one that is designed to fit many cars rather than the dedicated "Subaru" one designed to fit only an Impreza or Legacy.

Lastly... here is the info for the LA meet this weekend:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...4&postcount=63

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 04-14-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 PM

See attachment... how to make this project look like your SVX came from the factory that way! I used the forester one from Subaru dealer.
Remove the original mirror and cut it off the bracket that holds the old mirror on. Glue the bracket for the new mirror to the windshield... drop dome light down a bit to access electrical wires.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01508a.jpg (122.9 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by kwren; 04-16-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM

A couple of more things... You may notice in the graphic that I am graying around the temples and the dead weeds are across the road in the neighbors yard.

Keith
Old 04-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I looked in the 2009 Legacy wiring diagrams, and didn't see it (just searched for "mirror").

I seem to recall the wiring harness for the mirror in a recent Legacy or Outback being one that I have. Can you post some pictures of your mirror? That would help with questions about mounting it, too.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
I looked in the 2009 Legacy wiring diagrams, and didn't see it (just searched for "mirror").

I seem to recall the wiring harness for the mirror in a recent Legacy or Outback being one that I have. Can you post some pictures of your mirror? That would help with questions about mounting it, too.
think I might have some more picks. You saw the attachment on the previous post? If I have time tomorrow, I will try to work out the help you need.

Keith
Old 04-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Yeah, I saw your pic. I was mainly looking for a close-up of the harness socket (and wider pics of the rear should help with ideas on mounting)

Does it look like this?
8-pin socket.jpg
(pins are about 0.1" pitch horizontally)
Old 04-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Registered SVX

Thanks you guys for all your input and suggestions. Here is an update on what I have done so far, and some pics of the wiring.

In order to mount the mirror, i found a really simple solution. I bought the mounting bracket that can be glued to the glass (see attached pics), and will mount the mirror on it. It should work (will post pics when done)

For the wiring - so far no updates. I took some pics of the connector. For now, since I don't have an electrical diagram, I will experiment which one is which.

nikita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06066.jpg (570.1 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06067.jpg (515.7 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06068.jpg (185.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06069.jpg (430.5 KB, 229 views)
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I think this is what you need:

Looks pretty simple, mirror has power, ground, and reverse switch input.

If you don't have the installation guide, I have it in PDF format but I'll have to upload it somewhere else since it's 3 MB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MSA5T0926A276857.pdf (22.9 KB, 237 views)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 04-25-2010, 12:19 AM

Registered SVX

Cool! Thanks! That is exactly what I need. Will try to put everything together tomorrow.

nikita
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9