Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 AM

Registered SVX
WTB: High output alternator

I live in Lynnwood, WA, and am looking to purchase a high-output alternator. Name your price...but don't get too carried away, I am not made of money . From what i can gather they are quite rare, but I've got my fingers crossed
Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: WTB: High output alternator

The only thing you need to know. Click HERE You will not find a better product anywhere!!

160A high-output alternator, completely rebuilt from the ground up.

$248.00 without core. Once they send you the alternator, install it and send them back your old alternator for a $60.00 core credit (They even pay for your old alternator to be shipped back to them at their expense)

Final price is $188.00 One year warranty. This is cheaper than a generic 95A rebuild from Subaru

I have one of these on my 96 Polo, along with a custom alternator wiring modification/ upgrade. Electrical system operates flawlessly. They are using upgraded voltage regulators from Germany for exceptional reliability. HERE is a link to my installation.

The only thing not shown is the 150A Mega Fuse inline on the power wire andattached to the fuse box.

You will need to upgrade the power wire and grounds to 4 gauge, along with a fuse in the power wire as close to the battery as possible.

Talk to Christian when you call. She will answer any questions you have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160A_alternator.jpg (135.4 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg Holder_cover.jpg (215.7 KB, 450 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-14-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 AM

Registered SVX

Great! I will order one tomorrow. I have no time now but will make some tomorrow. Thank you
Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

The only thing you need to know. Click HERE You will not find a better product anywhere!!

160A high-output alternator, completely rebuilt from the ground up.

$248.00 without core. Once they send you the alternator, install it and send them back your old alternator for a $60.00 core credit (They even pay for your old alternator to be shipped back to them at their expense)

Final price is $188.00 One year warranty. This is cheaper than a generic 95A rebuild from Subaru

I have one of these on my 96 Polo, along with a custom alternator wiring modification/ upgrade. Electrical system operates flawlessly. They are using upgraded voltage regulators from Germany for exceptional reliability. HERE is a link to my installation.

The only thing not shown is the 150A Mega Fuse inline on the power wire andattached to the fuse box.

You will need to upgrade the power wire and grounds to 4 gauge, along with a fuse in the power wire as close to the battery as possible.

Talk to Christian when you call. She will answer any questions you have.

John,
Where did you get the Mega Fuse? Pics on your install of it?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Bill,

The holder is available on ebay, Amazon.com, and a lot of other places.

Here is the link to it on EBAY with a Buy-It-Now price of $6.95 plus $5.00 shipping.

I order from Amazon.com because I get free 2 day shipping. See HERE

I will be installing it in the next week or so. I have the bracket already made that slips over the lip of the main fuse box and is held in place by the fusebox lid.

I was waiting for the HYDRAULIC CABLE CRIMPER I ordered from Harbor Freight to make the cables. I will be making these cables with solid copper lugs.

I will start with a 125A fuse and see how it goes. I have 150A and 175A fuses just in case. Don't worry, I will be taking great photos of the finished product. Christian at Maniac Electric is anxious to add them to the document she already has on tha website.

The Mega Fuse should be the most reliable protection we can obtain, given space limitations. The advantages of slo-blo technology and an easily replacable fusible link.

With my new alternator and the German regulator, I have 14.4V at startup and for most of the day, using various accessories, stay around 13.9V. It is extremely stable and responsive to the various loads. I rarely go below 13.5V.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 11-16-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Bill,

Here is the link to it on EBAY with a Buy-It-Now price of $6.95 plus $5.00 shipping.

I will be installing it in the next week or so. I have the bracket already made that slips over the lip of the main fuse box and is held in place by the fusebox lid. I was waiting for the hydraulic ratcheting crimper I ordered from Harbor Freight to make the cables. I will be making the cables with solid copper lugs.

I will start with a 125A fuse and see how it goes. I have 150A and 175A fuses just in case. Don't worry, I will be taking great photos of the finished product. Christian at Maniac Electric is anxious to add them to the document she already has on tha website.

The Mega Fuse should be the most reliable protection we can obtain, given space limitations. The advantages of slo-blo technology and an easily replacable fusible link.

With my new alternator and the German regulator, I have 14.4V at startup and for most of the day, using various accessories, stay around 13.9V. It is extremely stable and responsive to the various loads. I rarely go below 13.5V.

Is Slo-Blo important?

Wondering if 125 amp or so without slo-blo might save us in the event of a regulator failure. Just wondering.

Keith

Trevor, if you happen to run across this, this is not a declaration of war. Just trying to find out what others might think.

Cheers?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Is Slo-Blo important?

Wondering if 125 amp or so without slo-blo might save us in the event of a regulator failure. Just wondering.

Keith

Trevor, if you happen to run across this, this is not a declaration of war. Just trying to find out what others might think.

Cheers?
Keith,

A fuse is a means of protection against high current, rather than high voltage. What is more the fuse in question here, is fitted as a means of protecting the alternator and the external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring ) against battery current, rather than supplied items against the alternator. You will find this mentioned within the tread covering revised alternator wiring.

In order to protect the system against an alternator voltage regulator failure, something more sophisticated is required. The usual arrangement is a voltage sensitive solid state switch, arranged to instantly crowbar, (directly short circuit) the alternator to ground, in the event of excessive voltage. This will kill the voltage and the necessary alternator circuit fuse will then open against the introduced fault.

You will find such protective devices available for, and used in, light aircraft. It is all a matter of cost relative to risk. Obviously the stakes are high when it is not possible to get out and walk.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Bill,

I will be installing it in the next week or so. I have the bracket already made that slips over the lip of the main fuse box and is held in place by the fusebox lid. I was waiting for the hydraulic ratcheting crimper I ordered from Harbor Freight to make the cables. I will be making the cables with solid copper lugs.

John,
Thanks. Are you getting the fuse itself at Home Depot or Lowe's?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 11-18-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Keith,

A fuse is a means of protection against high current, rather than high voltage. What is more the fuse in question here, is fitted as a means of protecting the alternator and the external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring ) against battery current, rather than supplied items against the alternator. You will find this mentioned within the tread covering revised alternator wiring.
Actually, Trevor, there isn't any battery current except the current used to start the engine when the car isn't running. If the alternator is working correctly, the output from the alternator is greater than the battery voltage so instead of the "external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring" having the voltage supplied by the battery, the battery is actually being charged while the alternator provides all the current that flows through the "external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring" at the same time.

Please forgive me, Trevor, but there isn't a chance on earth that you don't already know this.

Keith
Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

UPDATE

Maniac Electric Motors is now offering a lifetime warranty on all of their high-output alternators for an additional $98.00.

The original warranty on these units is one year.

More details on their site HERE

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Actually, Trevor, there isn't any battery current except the current used to start the engine when the car isn't running. If the alternator is working correctly, the output from the alternator is greater than the battery voltage so instead of the "external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring" having the voltage supplied by the battery, the battery is actually being charged while the alternator provides all the current that flows through the "external connecting circuit, (i.e. associated wiring" at the same time.

Please forgive me, Trevor, but there isn't a chance on earth that you don't already know this.

Keith
I have just discovered this, as is usual, stupid sarcastic post.

The intent is to infer that information I had provided, was/is wrong. In case someone is disillusioned the statement requires correction.

I had correctly advised ---

N.B. Obviously, in the event that a short circuit fault to ground occurs, within the alternator or the external connecting circuit, full battery current will flow to ground, regardless of whether the alternator is running or is stationary. A fuse, fitted within the circuit close to the battery, will protect against this potentially dangerous battery current.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:

The intent is to infer that information I had provided, was/is wrong. In case someone is disillusioned the statement requires correction.

N.B. Obviously, in the event that a short circuit fault to ground occurs, within the alternator or the external connecting circuit, full battery current will flow to ground, regardless of whether the alternator is running or is stationary. A fuse, fitted within the circuit close to the battery, will protect against this potentially dangerous battery current.
Can the 2 of you please stop bickering all over this forum. It's really getting annoying having the 2 of you constantly filling up useful threads with garbage.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Can the 2 of you please stop bickering all over this forum. It's really getting annoying having the 2 of you constantly filling up useful threads with garbage.
Do not instruct me.

The correction of wrong information does not constitute bickering and is NOT garbage. If you wisely take the time to read before jumping in and posting, you may understand the why and wherefore.

The fact that a certain member constantly tries to sarcastically score of me is not my problem. Under no circumstances will I let wrong information, directly contrary to what I have stated, remain available to members who may search at some later date.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Do not instruct me.

The correction of wrong information does not constitute bickering and is NOT garbage. If you wisely take the time to read before jumping in and posting, you may understand the why and wherefore.

The fact that a certain member constantly tries to sarcastically score of me is not my problem. Under no circumstances will I let wrong information, directly contrary to what I have stated, remain available to members who may search at some later date.
I have taken the time to read the information in this thread as I do in every thread that I look in or post in. I am not saying that the info itself is garbage and this thread is not near as bad as some other threads. I realize that Keith makes many sarcastic points in reaction to your posts as he does to others. Also, a question does not institute an instruction and I believe I was asking politely but I apparently forgot a question mark and maybe that is why you took it as so. Your information on such topics is always useful and I will admit at times it goes above my own comprehension as I cannot visualize things through words but rather need to see things in a light that I can understand. I have no problem with you or anyone else on this forum as it takes everyone to "make the world go 'round".
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:

My alternator wiring modification has given me no problems at all without a fuse. The 4 gauge power wire is securely fastened and protected by its location from any sort of normal mishap.

However, in case of a severe front end collision, there is the possibility that the integrity of that wire may be comprimised. If the power wire became cut or broken, the battery could instantly send between 800-1000A through that wire directly to frame or engine ground, which is bad.

I finally added a 175A Mega-Fuse into the charging wire circuit, close to the battery. If something does short, the fuse will immediately blow, interrupting the battery current and protecting its components. I will start with a 175A fuse and use it for a month. If all goes well, I will drop down to 150A, 125A and maybe as low as 100A.

The connections were power-crimped, soldered and insulated with adhesive shrnk-wrap

In case of an accident, which caused a fire, the insurance company could not deny the claim as every due safety precaution was researched and taken.

I know this addition makes Trevor very happy. I feel more relieved to know that my electrical system is safer than it was yesterday
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuse2.jpg (270.1 KB, 900 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse7.jpg (328.6 KB, 889 views)
File Type: jpg Fuse5.1.jpg (313.0 KB, 881 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 03-18-2010 at 10:24 PM.