How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Classic SVX
almost sold my car

My car has just been sitting lately. No plans for it so I stuck a for sale sign in the window. After about 2 hrs, I couldn't stand the idea so I took the sign down. All of my friends tell me that I'll regret it if I sell.

It's black with about 115K on it. Fresh paint, new tires, Pwr rad, stebro exhust, cf hood, fresh rear bearings, new timing belt and a bunch of other goodies with about $800 worth of spare parts laying around (just in case).

A guy from work somehow saw the sale sign and wanted to test drive it. As soon as he started it up, he said that he wanted it. During the drive he kept asking about the safety aspects of the car.

After the ride he asked me to 'name your price'. I asked if the car was for him and he said that it was for his son and that he would probably wrap it around a tree in no time.

I couldn't do it. So, it's back home, parked out front just waiting for me to come out and play. I'm such a woos. It's just a car right?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Re: almost sold my car

No offense to kids under 21 because I know there are some here and out there that appreciate what a unique car an SVX is, but I'm pretty sick of seeing SVX's abused and trashed by young kids that think it's just a cheap alternative to a Mitsubishi Eclipse or Honda Civic-- and the parents who buy SVX's for them!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 10-17-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:28 PM

Registered SVX

Itīs NOT "just a car", itīs a fine piece of art mixed with high technology...
Just that!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 PM

We've seen a Claret/Bordeaux car that was in great shape, wadded into a Dodge Durango, and now possibly headed for the salvage yard, due to the cost of refurbishment.

That is very sad, and I hope that car somehow gets a new lease on life...

I am glad that you didn't send your car to a similar fate. I wish my car were in the sort of condition that your car is in...

My car has been through a bit of a rough life. it isn't quite straight, and probably isn't going to be, but it drives fine.

Eventually, I would like to get a very nice car, as you describe yours to be, one worth restoring, modding, upgrading (6MT swap...) and having as a very nice car.

Keep some of them nice... and don't sell them to inexperienced drivers, for them to wad up, just because the price might seem like an appropriate range.

Otherwise, sell yours to me, and I'll sell mine to a teenager, and still hope they won't wad it up, more than it already has been marginally repaired from.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX

lol good thing i'm now 22 for me initially i bought the car for the engine to rip out but now the car's grown on me and its now a keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
No offense to kids under 21 because I know there are some here and out there that appreciate what a unique car an SVX is, but I'm pretty sick of seeing SVX's abused and trashed by young kids that think it's just a cheap alternative to a Mitsubishi Eclipse or Honda Civic-- and the parents who buy SVX's for them!
Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
I resent that statement... I'm not crazy spending thousands of dollars on a former production car that is no longer produced.

But trust me, plenty of my "peers" do stupid things to otherwise fine cars. 4" exhaust and a single wiper blade.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Registered SVX

I hate to say it but I agree...There are way too many people my age that are convinced that cars were made to be cut apart and hacked back together. I love my SVX because it's so unique, but it's an old car with 150k on the clock, not a hot rod. Past the rims and exhaust, I'm not messing with it. The Impreza I'm buying to put my spare engine in on the other hand....

But, sadly, I know way too many teenagers that think they have a sports car because they put a can and an intake on their Corolla, or blow up their Talon because they have no concept of how turbocharging works and what the consequences of too much boost are. I cringe at the thought of an SVX going through that same treatment...

Last edited by crash_2365; 10-18-2009 at 09:02 PM.