How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Registered SVX
Question a/c removal

I'm thinking of taking out the a/c except for the evap.I'll cap the ports on the firewall. I use the car in the summer and it doesn't really get that hot here so I never use it.Question is, will this end up setting codes or any other nonsense and should I just leave it in? I can't think of any reason why this might be a bad idea but I don't know enough about it. Has anyone done this? Thanks Dennis
Old 01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: a/c removal

Plenty have done it, no problems reported from what I remember..

But it is a really really dumb thing to delete.. It lowers the resale value and only drops about 80lbs.. Yours don't work? Might be an easy fix..

Mine doesn't work either and summer here is HELL!!! (in MD) Needless to say I plan on fixing it this year..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyo View Post
I'm thinking of taking out the a/c except for the evap.I'll cap the ports on the firewall. I use the car in the summer and it doesn't really get that hot here so I never use it.Question is, will this end up setting codes or any other nonsense and should I just leave it in? I can't think of any reason why this might be a bad idea but I don't know enough about it. Has anyone done this? Thanks Dennis
The air conditioning system has more functions than just cooling your body when the weather is hot.
Makes no sense to do away with a system that is needed to make other things perform correctly.

Just my 2 cents worth

Keith
Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I haven't had A/C in my car for quite a while. There's a massive leak in the condensor, so I simply cut the A/C belt. (less useless drag on the engine). I haven't had any codes and the climate control still performs just fine. The windows de-fog just fine. I'll probably get around to removing the entire system this summer to cut a bit more weight off the front end.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Headed to Texas...

It's a bad idea that you will come to regret if you keep the car - and especially if you try to sell it.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

It's been well over a year since the belt came off, and I never had A/C to begin with...no regrets yet. It doesn't get hot enough here to make me want A/C THAT badly. Open windows and sunroof gets the job done.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyo View Post
the A/C system is used for properly defrosting your windshield in the winter (however, that function may still work depending on the climate conditions - humidity,etc). I had my AC stop working last winter and it sucked for defrosting. The HVAC system still works because the Econ button effectly acts like there is no AC system (you still have the temperature monitoring along with the heater but it doesn't use the compressor so its like having it on Vent). Vent sucks because its like having an air tube straight from the car in front's exhaust to your face. Just lovely. And using "circ" will just circulate that car's exhaust in your face for a couple of minutes more = no bueno.
The weight lost by removing the compressor is not substantial enough for it to be a logical reason unless you are installing a super charger and need the room for the extra pulleys or you are trimming weight from the whole car (removing all interior, getting a lighter battery, etc) to be a race car.

If you want to cut some real weight without losing features, try getting a fiberglass hood from svxfiles (our stock hood is like 41lbs, his is 19lbs) or getting lighter wheels (I think ours are like 28lbs each and I think the 2006/2007 STi wheels are like 17lbs - which is what I went with).. There are even lighter wheels out there, just find some that are 5x114.3 and have an offset somewhere around +55..

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
It's been well over a year since the belt came off, and I never had A/C to begin with...no regrets yet. It doesn't get hot enough here to make me want A/C THAT badly. Open windows and sunroof gets the job done.
you sir, must not have humidity.

We don't get as cold as you. Texas can still get as low as the 20s (F) but its humid as well. Of course, we also get really hot (109+) soooo AC is a must down south.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

AC was a must for people in MD last year in the summer! It's terribly hot in the summer.. Stick with the AC and just get it fixed? (if it was broken to begin with)
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-28-2009, 11:49 AM

on my last engine the compressor was fux0red and making noise, so i just cut the belt.
simple, easy, free, effective

dont butcher your car by removing the whole thing. thats silly.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Registered SVX

the people have spoken. in it stays.doesn't seem like a lot to be gained by removing it. Thanks to all. dennis