Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-07-2008, 12:54 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
Aarrgghhhhh

Why do people come on forums asking questions when they just get pissed if they don't like the answer they get?

Someone was asking about what amp for a set of subs on another forum, I replied with a lengthy post about why it's not his amp that's causing his problems, but most likely the subs themselves since they've got a very low sensitivity rating. And that a much better sub would net him the same gain as a 4500 watt amp (if the sub could theoretically handle that much power). I took a long time to do the math, figure out the info on the components and it got completely ignored because apparently audio is some magic force and not science.

I'm far from perfect and get my share of tunnel vision, but when it comes to sound, people seem to totally disregard the fact that it IS PHYSICS!!!! And as such you can calculate it. But as soon as you start throwing real math out there to explain yourself and prove what you're saying people just get pissed. It's like somehow the GED student at Best Buy saying this "bigass amp will make it sssoo much louder" can rewrite the laws of physics just because the box has a big number on it.

It's not like I work with this stuff for a living or anything... It's even more fun when you get the person who insists that "my buddies system got 2984753dB louder when he got this new amp, so you're just wrong. I heard it myself." "So much for your "science."" (someone really said that to me (well, the number was different but you get the point)).

Sorry about the rant. It just really irks me when I spend the time to do all the work for someone who seems to want help, type it all up, and post it for them along with a recommended solution it gets just ignored because I didn't tell them the same thing they were already thinking. Isn't that the point of asking a ****ing question??? To get an answer?

ARGH. Ok end of my rant.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Nissan guy

Did he say exactly what he had and was planning to get?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Locker Link Solution

If it make you feel any better, around here people crank up the gain after an install... and it sounds awesome!! instantly more pimp!

...and they ussually starin' you down with big glasses on and a bluetooth headset stuffed in their ear.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM
SVXless

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
Why do people come on forums asking questions when they just get pissed if they don't like the answer they get?

Someone was asking about what amp for a set of subs on another forum, I replied with a lengthy post about why it's not his amp that's causing his problems, but most likely the subs themselves since they've got a very low sensitivity rating. And that a much better sub would net him the same gain as a 4500 watt amp (if the sub could theoretically handle that much power). I took a long time to do the math, figure out the info on the components and it got completely ignored because apparently audio is some magic force and not science.

I'm far from perfect and get my share of tunnel vision, but when it comes to sound, people seem to totally disregard the fact that it IS PHYSICS!!!! And as such you can calculate it. But as soon as you start throwing real math out there to explain yourself and prove what you're saying people just get pissed. It's like somehow the GED student at Best Buy saying this "bigass amp will make it sssoo much louder" can rewrite the laws of physics just because the box has a big number on it.

It's not like I work with this stuff for a living or anything... It's even more fun when you get the person who insists that "my buddies system got 2984753dB louder when he got this new amp, so you're just wrong. I heard it myself." "So much for your "science."" (someone really said that to me (well, the number was different but you get the point)).

Sorry about the rant. It just really irks me when I spend the time to do all the work for someone who seems to want help, type it all up, and post it for them along with a recommended solution it gets just ignored because I didn't tell them the same thing they were already thinking. Isn't that the point of asking a ****ing question??? To get an answer?

ARGH. Ok end of my rant.
I resent this comment... People are stupid though. Used to work at Circuit City (I was a high school student at the time thank you very little) and it pissed me off when people knew nothing. "Uh, I'd like to buy this right here... it's only $800." "Sir, that computer is a piece of crap." "Well I want it anyway, it's good enough for me." Week later the come back and ***** because they can't play f***ing solitaire. Stingy bastards.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Hater

techy, what amps would you recommend for the 15" Kornwood sub i gots at the swap meet for $40?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-08-2008, 12:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe62890 View Post
I resent this comment... People are stupid though. Used to work at Circuit City (I was a high school student at the time thank you very little) and it pissed me off when people knew nothing. "Uh, I'd like to buy this right here... it's only $800." "Sir, that computer is a piece of crap." "Well I want it anyway, it's good enough for me." Week later the come back and ***** because they can't play f***ing solitaire. Stingy bastards.
Ah, you never learned the #1 rule of retail sales.
"The customer is always right"
You always give them what they ask for. When they come back and complain, you just tell them its exactly what they wanted.
And I take no offense on the GED comment.
I have one.
I also have a Associates in electronics.
High School sucked
Old 06-08-2008, 10:24 AM
SVXless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbone View Post
Ah, you never learned the #1 rule of retail sales.
"The customer is always right"
You always give them what they ask for. When they come back and complain, you just tell them its exactly what they wanted.
And I take no offense on the GED comment.
I have one.
I also have a Associates in electronics.
High School sucked
Hahaha!! I gave them huge receipts and smiles on their faces. Loved the job, couldn't handle the management (Seems to be a growing trend). Yay, +1 for GED students making something of themselves. Couldn't make myself go, needed 1 credit to graduate going into my last year. Oh well, still got a full ride to go to college. Majoring in computer science!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Re: Aarrgghhhhh

Well, to use some of the audio knowledge in this thread:

I plan to do a serious upgrade to the stereo in my '95. I plan to use 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P3D410's (Punch Stage 3 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils) and a Q-Logic QB-210.4 Bandpass box.

Is that box gonna be quality enough for those subs? And what amp would be great for that?

Music will be Heavy Metal with hard hitting bass I don't want discusting lows.....

Another +1 for G.E.D. students!

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 06-22-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
........and a Q-Logic QB-210.4 Bandpass box.

Music will be Heavy Metal with hard hitting bass I don't want discusting lows.....

Dustin

get a sealed box for tighter, more responsive bass when playing teh metal.

ported and bandpass boxes are louder and boomier for the same amount of power, but not as tight. throw it a decent amount of power.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
get a sealed box for tighter, more responsive bass when playing teh metal.

ported and bandpass boxes are louder and boomier for the same amount of power, but not as tight. throw it a decent amount of power.
Crutchfield says otherwise though:
Quote:
Different types of boxes will produce different types of bass:

Sealed boxes: For deep, precise bass
A sealed box is an airtight enclosure housing your subwoofer. A sealed box is best for any music that demands tight, accurate bass. Expect flat response (not excessively boomy), deep bass extension, and excellent power handling. Since a sealed enclosure tends to require more power than a ported box, use an amplifier with ample wattage for optimum performance.

Ported boxes: For forceful bass
Ported boxes use a vent (called a port) to reinforce low bass response. You get more output than you would from a sealed box at any given amplifier wattage. Some people prefer the sound of ported boxes for rock, heavy metal, or any hard-driving music. Ported boxes can deliver deeper bass than sealed boxes, though they need to be much larger than sealed enclosures to accomplish that.

Bandpass boxes: Maximum slam
Bandpass boxes are a special type of ported box designed for maximum slam. The woofer is mounted inside a dual-chambered box (one chamber sealed, the other ported), with the sound waves emerging from the ported side. The sound that comes out of the port is extra loud within a narrow frequency range.

Because bandpass boxes are super efficient within that range, they tend to boom. Their aggressive sound is great for rap, reggae, and hard rock. Not all subwoofers work well in bandpass boxes, though; consult our product information or call one of our Advisors to be sure.
A Bandpass seemed the best of both worlds since it would have the low precise tone of a sealed box but still get very punchy through the port.

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 06-22-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by odepaj View Post
Crutchfield says otherwise though:

A Bandpass seemed the best of both worlds since it would have the low precise tone of a sealed box but still get very punchy through the port.

bandpass is ok (i have one in my car)...... i'd rather have sealed, but i've had this thing in my last three cars, and it still works.

i don't know what kind of metal you listen to, but for machine-gun double bass drums, i'd go with sealed.

from ecoustics.com:
"sealed will yield a fairly flat response, and is the most accurate type of box.
a sealed box also requires the most power to attain the same SPL as other box types.

a ported box is usually about +3dB more efficient at the frequency of the tuned port(s). These boxes require less power than sealed to reach the same SPL, but below their tuned frequency, they are very hard to control, and require great amounts of power to produce those below-port frequencies. Ported enclosures also add coloration to the sound, which detracts from their accuracy.

bandpass boxes are +3 to +12dB more efficient, making these the loudest of the boxes, but they lack severely in sound quality and will not hit very deeply since they, as the name implies, are limited to a notch frequency range.. usually between about 50-100Hz. loud, not deep, and they can accept a lot of power due to the damping factor of the enclosure designs. Bandpass boxes are ideal for SPL competitions, but not recommended for anything desiring musicality such as a daily driver car.
"

Old 06-23-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
bandpass is ok (i have one in my car)...... i'd rather have sealed, but i've had this thing in my last three cars, and it still works.

i don't know what kind of metal you listen to, but for machine-gun double bass drums, i'd go with sealed.

from ecoustics.com:
"sealed will yield a fairly flat response, and is the most accurate type of box.
a sealed box also requires the most power to attain the same SPL as other box types.

a ported box is usually about +3dB more efficient at the frequency of the tuned port(s). These boxes require less power than sealed to reach the same SPL, but below their tuned frequency, they are very hard to control, and require great amounts of power to produce those below-port frequencies. Ported enclosures also add coloration to the sound, which detracts from their accuracy.

bandpass boxes are +3 to +12dB more efficient, making these the loudest of the boxes, but they lack severely in sound quality and will not hit very deeply since they, as the name implies, are limited to a notch frequency range.. usually between about 50-100Hz. loud, not deep, and they can accept a lot of power due to the damping factor of the enclosure designs. Bandpass boxes are ideal for SPL competitions, but not recommended for anything desiring musicality such as a daily driver car.
"
+1 Its been a while since I've played with any of this stuff but I used to love the accuracy of the sealed box with metal.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Sealed box it is than!

Yeah, I love my hard hitting bass drums

Dustin

My Locker

Old 06-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Does anybody have any feed back on the Alpine IVA 205?

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: