How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
pity for the guy, by the time he realized... its all over and slipped from his hands onto his fate...

Enjoy ur drive, but drive carefully...

-Pavan
Old 09-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Please voice your opinion as I really want to hear what others have to say. I am open minded and am not trying to start an argument but merely want to hear what you have to say.

Furthermore I am not saying the companies should be legally held liable for poor decision making of the boy in this topic. I am saying that maybe someone should pick up on this and impliment a speed limiter on models that may cause this mayhem. Just a thought

Tom,
you should pick up a Ford Fiesta - 230hp SVX's can reach unsafe speeds.

i'll stick with fast and fun cars.

oh, and IBSRT4isfastAr

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post

IMHO I believe there needs to be a better driver's education system in place in the USA. Here in the us, a person can literally get their license with ZERO experience behind the wheel, except for the driving test. A lot of the wrecks involving teens & Hi-Po cars are a lack of experience, and parents with more money than brains. Who gives their teenager, no matter how responsible, a top line performance car as their first car? The SRT/4 is a competent car in all respects, in the right hands it COULD hand a stock SVX it's hat. As could a stock WRX STI.
I'm not aware of every State law in regards to driving licenses, or even the legal driving age in most states. I am from Ontario (Canada not California) and we do have somewhat of the system you describded.

You can get a beginners license at 16. This means you MUST AT ALL TIMES drive with a person who has had thier Experienced License for more than 4 years. You also cannot drive on highway's or roads over 55mph(90km). This is a written test.

After a Year with beginners license you can get your secondary license - which allows you to drive alone on any road. You must have a ZERO blood alcohal level, and after 12:00am you are only allowed ONE passenger under the age of 19. You must pass an in car test with an examiner to get this license

After another year, and another in car test, you get your Full license.

Perfect system? No, nothing is, it' opinionated. But I beleive it is better than write a test and drive wherever with whomever.

Just sharing some cross boarder info.
Rob
Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I think it stands to reason that for the majority of people 4 to 5 years of driving in every climate are required to become a truly good driver. The age limits and waiting periods are almost totally arbitrarily picked and full liscenses are handed out like candy to people whom cannot resist to abuse them.

I got my learners permit and first car at 14 and it's not until about 7 or 8 years after that I really became adept and threw away childish devices of mind about driving. Even something like tipping my motorcycle (got m class at 16, real DL at 18 with second car) before an intersection for going too fast after getting out of school didn't change my mind about driving recklessly.

There is no substitute for maturity coupled with experience. In the case of this SRT-4 guy, that may not even be maturity but more he was humbled in the face of his own mortality and financial loss.

/random ranting

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
I got my license at 16.5 years old and I have yet to have an accident (I'll be 20 in December). I also have driven cars that go plenty fast and have no speeding tickets or any record to speak of. Are you saying then that I am an incapable driver? I would surely hope not. In fact, I'd argue that I'm better than most drivers out there. I rarely drive while talking on my cell phone for more than maybe a minute, I don't drive in the inside lane unless I'm passing, and I don't hold other people up - all the meanwhile avoiding speeding tickets like it's my job.

I don't feel like people like me should be penalized just because of age.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
You replying to me? If so, two things. Qualifier "majority of people" in second post regarding maturity. Differentiation between naturally aware and highly responsive drivers in first post. If you are either a mature, solidly law abiding driver, or lucky/highly skilled driver, or a mix of the two, then the rule of experience does not apply quite as much to you.

I also believe I am better than a great majority of people on the road, due to my ability to calmly handle a situation that would cause a normal person to freeze up or panic, but there is always more to know and learn about the physics and cause and effect involved in various siutations and environments. I also believe using a cellular device has little bearing on whether a driver is "good", because some cell users pay attention to the road, others do not. Cell phones are a cop out. Something easy to blame. People may disagree with me on this, but there is no reason one cannot operate an automatic vehicle with one hand. I do it often, without incident, and still maintain better control over my vehicles than most people.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-25-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Maybe certain cars should be classified as performance cars and require a different license. A license that requires special classes where they learn how to handle power at the wheels.

Now I will play my own devil's advocate. A "performance" license may give some drivers the feeling of invisibility and only increase their self confidence in driving fast
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 09-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
you should pick up a Ford Fiesta - 230hp SVX's can reach unsafe speeds.

i'll stick with fast and fun cars.

oh, and IBSRT4isfastAr
Yeh.... SRT4 is very fast... but very bad in handling... I can be sure and confident while doing 140mph in svx (for example) compared to doing the same in SRT4.

There is a difference between performance car and a fast car and not all cars meet both at the sametime and this makes a huge difference. Anyway thats wht I think in my book .

-Pavan.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Maybe certain cars should be classified as performance cars and require a different license. A license that requires special classes where they learn how to handle power at the wheels.

Now I will play my own devil's advocate. A "performance" license may give some drivers the feeling of invisibility and only increase their self confidence in driving fast
I sure wish I could be invisible Then I could be a peeping Tom and no one could see me

Tom
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I feel bad for the guy that he got injured that badly. I don't think anyone deserves that kind of pain and what not for an accident. However, that doesn't nullify the fact that drove poorly and nearly killed himself and possibly others.

That is WHY the interest in AUTO-X is a GREAT thing!
I have shared a 'corner' with Doctors, Lawyers, Real Estate guys and 'commoners. They ALL sat the same thing to say.....

" I don't drive nearly as 'aggressively' since I started doing this"!!!

We should try to encourage ALL young drivers to 'partake of our sport!

It will give them a 'PLACE' to drive like a nut and SEE just how their 'skills' measure up to the 'old farts'. ( WITHOUT personal injury, damage to the car or a 'MANSLAUGHTER' charge!)

AUTOCROSS, FOREVER!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post

I agree on both fronts. A performance liscense will keep slow thinkers away from high powered vehicles.
However, the people often attracted to high powered vehicles are speed addicts and adrenaline junkies, so it would have little effect on whom buys what.
It also might instill a sense of "I'm better than you" ego boost in the same type of people likely to drive recklessly and cause an accident.

One solution is to require an extensive auto maintenance and road safety program to obtain such a liscence, maybe combined with rewards for completing the program like discounts for track days, insurance plans, etc.

Offenders would have to lose their perf liscence and be demoted at least temporarily per offense. (:

Old 09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
Yeh.... SRT4 is very fast... but very bad in handling... I can be sure and confident while doing 140mph in svx (for example) compared to doing the same in SRT4.
the SVX gives no clinics on handling - its heavy, has mediocre brakes, skinny tires, and plows around corners.

i felt much more confident in a Porsche at 155mph than i did in the SVX at 115mph - its all relative.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Anyone know what song that was?
Believe it or not that is Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
the name of the song is something like "guardian angel"
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
the SVX gives no clinics on handling - its heavy, has mediocre brakes, skinny tires, and plows around corners.

i felt much more confident in a Porsche at 155mph than i did in the SVX at 115mph - its all relative.
LOL... you are bringing Porsche into discussion which is in totally different league. You cant compare SVX to cars like Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari... . Yes, SVX has its faults, but it feels safe at those speeds compared to SRT4 in the discussion.

-Pavan.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
LOL... you are bringing Porsche into discussion which is in totally different league. You cant compare SVX to cars like Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari... . Yes, SVX has its faults, but it feels safe at those speeds compared to SRT4 in the discussion.

-Pavan.
yes, but you're comparing an SVX to an SRT-4 - same difference.

you shouldn't be driving at 140mph anyway.