How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Cho
Cho's Tranny problem

Hey guys its me again. I still havn't got my svx fixed yet because ive been investing too much into my 240sx.

But while I was browsing the 240sx forum, I came across a thread about the auto tranny. This guy had a problem with his tranny similar to mine. When he start the car there would be this whining noise and it would not go into reverse and he had to rev high to get the car to start moving in Drive, so he dropped his pan and found that his tran filter had been clogged and he replaced it and it ran perfect afterwards.

Does this mean that the same problem could have happened to my SVX because it has the same symptoms and I have never dropped the pan yet. I guess Im going to have to drop it tomorrow since its my day off and if it works again then WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE im back on the streets with my beloved restored svx.

1995 SVX L - Emerald Green
1992 Supra Turbo Red

Mods: Slotted Front and Rear Rotors, K&N Stock filter, Blue LED Interior Lights, and New Paint.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 AM

Cho,

You should probably try that. Drain and refill the ATF and replace the filter. I suggest not flushing it because if the transmission is having problems with dirty fluid and a clogged filter it may stir all that up and make problems worse. I would suggest a transmission cooler and a external transmission filter. Hopefully that works. It may be the torque converter.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 AM

Registered SVX
A plain YES Cho. How can you lose?

P.S. Please report back here, as the results will be of value and interest to others.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-07-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 AM

Thanks mission, ill look into that. But another questions comes up as u say that.

The guy who had his 240sx filter changed said that he had recently flushed it and it loosened all the particles in his tranny and clogged it.

It could have been the same thing with mine because I never flushed it and I would never pay for such a service but it happened after I gunned it down the freeway which could have put so much pressure in the tranny that it let loose all the particles and clogged my filter. I really do need to do a fluid change since its been the same fluid since 2005 when I bought it. I never got to it because I was fixing it in shop class and completely forgot about it. If this works tho, ill be the happiest guy in Anchorage tomorrow.

1992 Supra Turbo Red

Mods: Slotted Front and Rear Rotors, K&N Stock filter, Blue LED Interior Lights, and New Paint.

Last edited by Cho; 05-07-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Well, as it turns out. The tranny is bad. I dropped the pan and what do i find? A bunch of small metalic stuff so ima just rebuild the tranny after I'm done with my 240sx

I did change the fluid, filter, and gasket. Filled it up to the proper level and still the same whining noise. Didn't even budge in reverse.

1992 Supra Turbo Red

Old 05-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

That sucks, but at least your tranny is salvageable! Mine had to be replaced altogether when my torque converter went among all my gears as well. The car never had a single symptom I was just cruising the freeway when "BAM" the car starts reving like all hell it dropped all gears and wouldn't shift outta first sounded terrible...anyway not sure what it will cost up there in Alaska, but here in Cali you can get a rebuild for like $1500 so good luck!
Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cho
Well, as it turns out. The tranny is bad. I dropped the pan and what do i find? A bunch of small metalic stuff so ima just rebuild the tranny after I'm done with my 240sx

I did change the fluid, filter, and gasket. Filled it up to the proper level and still the same whining noise. Didn't even budge in reverse.
Oh $hit, are the right words, What a bummer.

Sorry, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 AM

Yea thats too bad. When you manage to get the transmission fixed Youngs Gear is great shop.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
If your tranny has that much metal in the pan, it would be in you very best interest to have the torque converter rebuilt as well. If there are metal part in the tranny then there are metal parts in the TC.

I found out the hard way. From tranny 2 to 3

Sorry about you tranny.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 05-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96
The car never had a single symptom I was just cruising the freeway when "BAM" the car starts reving like all hell it dropped all gears and wouldn't shift outta first sounded terrible...
It's stories such as these that make me want to stop coming 'round here. Depressing.

dcb
Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Do not

do not

do not rebuild with the stock gear ratio. There is absolutely no use for it up here. If it were me again I'd go with 4.11s.

Young's Gear is a good shop like Mission said. I asked them to build me an aluminum driveline a couple years ago but never got around to actually doing it.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.