How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Cool New SVX in here

Hi there. I just got my SVX two weeks ago. I always wanted one so bad since im a big Guigaro fan. But never liked the automatic tranny.

I found this one with a 5 speed tranny from a Forester and a stage 2 clutch, and I love it. It haves the ECUTune and it runs so fast for such a heavy and big car. I'm never going to sell this car, Ill keep it forever, the car is amazing.

I have a lot of questions about it. And I have really good plans for it.

Here are some pics

http://photo.ringo.com/207/207994362O778455719.jpg

It looks like the rear fender were painted... a hit probably.

http://photo.ringo.com/207/207994354O960928398.jpg

I already have the white inverse glow gauges, I also painted silver all the "wood" trim wich was all faded and looked purple.

http://photo.ringo.com/207/207994352O128125367.jpg

Anybody knows if the "suede" is sinthetic or natural?? I want to dye it black but I dont know what kind of ink or tint use, I also want to paint all the gray plastic on black. Anybody done that??

Well Im so glad I found a place for people that knows about good cars and have good taste for good design.

Thanks.

Last edited by Guyver280z; 04-27-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Nice! I like the look of the Silver trim too.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver280z
Hi there.
Anybody knows if the "suede" is sinthetic or natural?? I want to dye it black but I dont know what kind of ink or tint use, I also want to paint all the gray plastic on black. Anybody done that??

Thanks.
The suede is actually faux suede, or false suede if you like, it's synthetic.

The material is called Ecsaine. There is information on how to clean it in the How To documents. No doubt also if you contact the manufacturers, they will give you hints about dyeing it.

Your car is nice, by the way. I wish you good luck with it. We all love our cars to bits, very smooth and comfortable speed, although they were never designed as a "sports" car.

Joe

[PS think carefully about making the interior "too" black. The English car I have has black carpets and black leather seats. It just stops short of morbid and claustrophobic, mainly because of the strip of purple colour in the ecsaine door cards. But if you want Yakuza interior, don't let me stop you, go black, young man, go black]
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Very nice! Good luck. How did you paint the wood trim? Did you leave it on or did you remove the parts before painting?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Okay,let me be the first negative internet opinionated antagonistic guy in the thread:
A) Yeah, that rear quarter was hit...Ive never seen a worse colormatch. The first thing id do is take it to a reputable bodyshop to have that little mishap rectified
B) the silver trim. Yes, the silver CAN look good, but please, for the love of god, do it right. kyrlon scratches and flakes off. Very easilly, at that. I reccomend removeing them again, and using a scuff pad to remove the old finish, as well as prepar the plastic for real paint. have a reputable body shop spray the peices silver. My personal reccomendation: honda's NH700-M. Its a very bright silver with a nice, clean metallic. If you wanna get REAL fancy, have them dust on a light coat of a darker silver, then scuff it off, creating a grain look. Clearcoat it.
C) your idea to dye the suede could work, seeing as it is in fact synthetic. The material is called ecsaine, if you'd like to further research it. The fact is, though, that it is a delicate fabric (especially after 15 years of use) youll find that even washing it you run the risk of it practically desintegrating. your best bet is to have a reputable re-upholstry shop re-upholster the peices in new black ecsaine. The best p[art about this method...itll be NEW!!! Not raggedy worn out junk with ink stains all over it...NEW SUEDE. You can also incorporate some nice white stitching to match the gauges and really bring out the trim
D) Painting the interior panels is a horrid idea. Trust me...Ive seen it. the paint tends to flake off, even in low-use areas. If youd like to try a colorchang...the panels ae actually wrapped in vynal. you could try vynal dye with some degree of sucess, but beforehand I'd see about having them re-wraped. Once again the word new comes to mind in regards to replacing the aged, hardened vynal with something softer and more subtle

It (could be) nice to see some fresh variations in interior designs, and Im sure what you have planned will look great...but keep in mind, youll have to sit in this thing every day. Worse yet you may have to drive a friend somewhere...or a girl! so quality counts! Best of luck on your re-design
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Thanks for your comments.

The paint... yeah Its horrible, I used to work on a auto body shop and Ive seen really bad paint matching jobs, actually white and pearl white are the most difficult colors to match. anyways... Im going to leave it like that because eventually I planning on painting the whole car. I want to paint it WRX Sti blue.... but thats far from happening right now.

Yeah, i took everything appart to paint it. And I agree, the console looks horrible, and now it have tons of scratches, I was testing the paint. But as you can see on the door I used a better paint and clear coat. It looks great and very original. Of course I sanded everything before painting it, but the console deffinettly needs to be redone, I also have to find a way to paint the a/c controls without ruining it... ill figure out something.

The "suede" its actually in really good shape, but Im also thinking that I can only dye the vynil black and left the suede gray to contrast. Im going to Photoshop it to see hoe it would look. But the gray vynil is definetly going to be black. I love black interiors, most of my cars were black inside and I love it.

Deffinelty I wasnt thinking of paiting it with paint, of course I want to use a dye and im going to test it before ruining my whole interior.

I know the car is nos supposed to be a sports car, well it is a luxury/sporst coupe, but hey, the car runs really nice, and it handles awesome. A friends 300ZX (non turbo) couldnt keep up with me. And now I can keep up with my friends of the 350Z/G35 club.

Right now Im working on my 78 Datsun 280Z, engine swap, full body work, paint, its going to be sick, and as soon as I finish it and get me another daily driver ill start working on the SVX. Its going to be a real sports car. I want to trow a turbo or maybe building the engine and getting a 6 speed trany. I dont know yet.

Thanks for your comments and I hope to learn a lot from this site and from you SVX guys.

Cya
Old 04-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX
You can also buy a press on kit that covers all the wood in the dash with a few different options, brushed aluminium or carbon fiber. I have never seen one in person but to me they look good in the pictures.

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...stylaldas.html

or

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st.../aldaskit.html
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-28-2007, 06:10 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Congrats on the car and welcome to the network. Car looks nice, though not perfect, but what can you expect from a car that old. Good luck on fixing her up.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Good luck with the project. Do it right the first time and you will never regret it.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 04-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX
Why not pick up a couple of door panels from a scrap yard (or even ednot ). You could experiment with those 'till your heart's content.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
...ednot...
From my experience, you'll never get it!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:26 AM
The car named NIGHTMARE

Send a message via MSN to Nomad
Hi and welcome ! I just finished watching the SVX DVD and they compared it to a 300zx and a 3000gt in turns ... Its great !!
Old 04-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Ah, you used to work at a bodyshop too. Nevermind the previous comments then
The press-on kits are rubbish
world rally blue would look sick
The aformentioned junkyard panels may be a good idea, just incase
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Oh hell no, sticker trims looks like crap, i already saw one with the aluminum press up kit and it looks so cheap. It looks like fake snap on hood scoops

It just needs to be painted right, the way it is supposed to be. Fine sanding, fine layers and good clear coat.

About the car paint, Thanks for the name "World Rally Blue" yup that's what I want, still have to choose candy or metallic. But hey I still have a lot of time to think about it.

It deffinetly needs a lot of work but, hey the car is worth it. When was the last time you saw a car like this on car shows???

I mean I bet theres a lot of really nice cars in this forum, and I would like to learn from people that have experience on this rides. Feels good to be here