How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM

Unhappy Trans Problem?

Got into my 92 yesterday and it wouldn't move in reverse. Acts like it's in neutral but seems like it shifts into gear when I move the shifter. Moves in drive but the revs are higher than normal. Tried pushing the car down my driveway (about a 10 degree slope) with it in reverse and it will move a few feet then stop and can't push it anymore. Pushing it backwards in neutral also seems to be difficult.

Engine won't idle steady moving between 800 and 1500 rpm. It's been very cold here, -2F this morning. Fluid levels look fine. Is my trans toast or could it be the TPS or TCS? Could something be locked up? Car has 185k on it. Don't know the mileage on the trans as the car had 140k when I got it.

Marvin
92 Pearly
Old 01-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Sorry, but it sounds like the trans. I had the same problem when mine went.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxbrick
Got into my 92 yesterday and it wouldn't move in reverse. Acts like it's in neutral but seems like it shifts into gear when I move the shifter. Moves in drive but the revs are higher than normal. Tried pushing the car down my driveway (about a 10 degree slope) with it in reverse and it will move a few feet then stop and can't push it anymore. Pushing it backwards in neutral also seems to be difficult.

Engine won't idle steady moving between 800 and 1500 rpm. It's been very cold here, -2F this morning. Fluid levels look fine. Is my trans toast or could it be the TPS or TCS? Could something be locked up? Car has 185k on it. Don't know the mileage on the trans as the car had 140k when I got it.

Marvin
92 Pearly
Could be a lot of things, but I would check the pick-up screen in the pan, before I condemn the whole box.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Probably not the temperature...

Probably not these nasty-cold Wasatch Front temperatures. I'm in SLC and my '92 pearly w/178k is shifting fine. HOWEVER. my BRAKES don't work the first time I push the pedal in the morning. I've never had brakes freeze up like that. Good luck with your tranny!

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM

Trans Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833
Probably not these nasty-cold Wasatch Front temperatures. I'm in SLC and my '92 pearly w/178k is shifting fine. HOWEVER. my BRAKES don't work the first time I push the pedal in the morning. I've never had brakes freeze up like that. Good luck with your tranny!
It is the nasty-cold Wasatch temps. I live in Sandy. Going to see if it's throwing any codes if it gets warm enough to stay outside for more than 5 minutes.

Marvin
Old 01-20-2007, 02:45 PM

Trans Problem - continued

I check the codes and the only one it is showing is 32 - Speed sensor 1. This wouldn't cause my shifting problems. I'm starting to wonder if it really is the trans because I ran the stall tests and it stalls out around 2300 rpm in every gear (including reverse) which to me means that nothing is slipping and that it is shifting into gear. Could something else in the drive line be locked up? The won't roll backwards by itself in Neutral even on my sloped driveway.
Marvin
Old 05-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Did these issues ever get resolved?

I've had ice lock up a rim on mine after sitting overnight.

Recently when installing an engine we forgot to connect the IAC and the engine wouldn't idle at any given RPM. If the valve isn't working properly it could also cause the same issue.