How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Internal Strife

So - I love my SVX. I don't wanna get rid of it. Here's my dilemma:

I've thrown my hat in the ring for a good-paying position at my alma mater, and I'm almost assured of at least an interview because of my connections there.

If I get the job, here are the factors coming into play:

1) My wife and I are about 4-6 weeks away from becoming parents.

2) If I get this job, my commute will be about 250 miles per day (total round trip)

3) I already *have* a third car - a 1988 CRX si which I'm dying to tinker with.

SO - my options are, as I see...

a) continue to drive the SVX daily, basically putting 5,000 miles a month on it. Keep in mind it already has 140,000. It's a 97 and runs wonderfully, but....
UPSIDE: No change in current arrangement, and I get to enjoy the SVX daily until I drive it into the ground. DOWNSIDE: The SYX would have 200,000 miles on it in a year, and I have two 2-door vehicles and one 4-door with a newborn.

b) sell the CRX, and buy a more economical commuter sedan that I don't care about. UPSIDE: cheaper commute, two sedans are better for baby purposes. DOWNSIDE: I'd have a car that I'm making loan payments on sitting in my driveway 95% of the time, and I'd probably have to take out ANOTHER loan to pay for the commuter car.

c) sell the SVX, and buy a more ecomomical yada yada (think Impreza or similar). UPSIDE: Cheaper all around, I get to keep the CRX for a toy, and I have two sedans. DOWNSIDE: No SVX.

just babbling here - any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
B

With a 4 hour daily commute and a new baby, you won't have time to "tinker" with a honda.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
PhillsSvx

Svx = Honda eater but if its the motor your worried about ill sell you a rebuilt

or keep the svx tucked away for that once in a time drug

and seeing as all 3 of use are from pa and it snows here alot what would be better in the snow honda or svx?????

i have a friend that is all into honda crx 1st gen like yours if u need to sell it he will take care of it im sure

Last edited by PhillsSvx; 12-07-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

why tinker with a Honda in the first place... let alone a little CRX... let alone a 1988 CRX
Old 12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Hitchhikin'

I would drive the CRX. Save on gas, and reduce the wear on tear on the SVX. Then enjoy the SVX on the weekends or once a week, etc.

I would suggest that you keep your tinkering to one car or the other. Have at least one reliable car for yourself so you can freely tinker without any restrictions.

Of course, I don't know the nature of your commute, but I'm assuming boring highway. If your 125-mile-a-way commute somehow magically happened to be a windy mountain road with lots of twists and turns, then I would recommend the SVX instead.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:16 PM

First off, congrats on the new job!
Now on to your question/delma,
Given how safe the SVX is, I'd say keep it and get rid of the Civic.
I have a little one (she'll be 2 soon) and her Britax car seat fits just fine in the back of the SVX. My wife currently has an Outback so were in a similar situation (having a 2 door and a 4 door) and it has worked out fine, you get used to getting the little one in and out of the SVX (found it to be eaisest to have her on the pax side) and the trunk of the SVX is pretty big, so putting a small stroller and other baby items/suit case's etc in the trunk work out ok.
And if your just going out for an afternoon, a large stroller fits fine in the trunk as well.
Other then that, I'd say if you do decide to sell the SVX, I'd say option C is your best bet.
Just my $.02

Last edited by Rotorflyr; 12-08-2005 at 06:20 PM.