Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Bipa

Originally Posted by Electrophil
Hilarious!

Bipa, I think you are here in the U.S., was born here, and have at least a Master's degree from a U.S. University. I think you are playing us.

Your grammer, spelling and overall writing abilities are U.S. graduate level, and your knowledge of both current events and history of the U.S. rates way up there also on a graduate level.

It's a dad-burn Kinspirasy I tellya. I kin feel it in me bones!

Hmmm.... is that a compliment or a back-handed insult? Or are you implying that a US education is somehow superior? Typical arrogance, eh? (just kidding!)

Thanks for saying such nice things about my writing. I just always seemed to find writing and history fun and easy. The key is simple- when writing a serious post: write once, read twice, check your facts, fix post, read again, and only then submit. Fer off 'de cuff remerks, ain't no check nesissary

Funny how many folks seem to think that non-US'ians shouldn't know as much, or perhaps even more about the US than US'ians themselves. Yet it actually makes sense that foreigners would know more about USA foreign policy, doesn't it? The average US'ian probably doesn't know and doesn't really care about the fine points of foreign relations because it has absolutely no effect on his everyday life, or so it's assumed. For the rest of the world, the US can sure make life darned uncomfortable.

What is really sad is that the US politicians and people don't realise that their foreign policy and frankly bad attittude to non-US citizens is also starting to affect their domestic economy, and will thus also impact domestic policy decisions. Just one minor example: almost everyone I know in Europe and Canada are now desperately trying to avoid transiting in the USA when flying elsewhere. I know that I spend easily $50 - $100 when I'm waiting in an airport for a few hours. But now the US airports aren't getting that money anymore.

The other issue is trust and faith in basic freedoms and rights. Just the other day, I showed my Dad this web site and some of my posts, both my serious ones, and some of the cartoons I had posted. His honest initial reaction was one of FEAR! I was shocked and amazed that he became concerned about my posts being traced by the US government and that I'd somehow get into trouble next time I tried to cross into the USA. Surely I have at no time indicated that I was some sort of dangerous person. I doubt that any of my comments about US policy or actions are particularly original or unique. My views are shared by millions of other people.

Yet my father was concerned by my honest and open expression of my feelings and opinions. Since when are ordinary people AFRAID to criticise the USA? Isn't open dialogue and freedom to voice one's opinion a major part of the cornerstone of US democracy? Yet if my own father, living in Canada, has developed such apprehension, then what sort of message is being received by other, less educated people in third world countries?

My initial shock has now given way to sadness. It is truly disheartening for me to see that people are starting to become afraid of the USA for all the wrong reasons. And I begin to wonder if that truly is part of the plan, to inspire fear in order to bring people to heel and keep them better under control. If so, then it is just another example of not learning from history. Governments that rule by fear are not good governments, are not governments of the people, for the people, by the people. Fear might be an easy short-term tool, but in the end it destroys everyone and every thing. With fear there is no trust, and decent people feel they must hide their thoughts, and only speak the party line, less they be penalised in some way.

Eh...enough already. Next post I'll find another good joke.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Bipa

The United States' road map for peace in the Middle East has taken a detour with the shifting of the birthplace of Jesus to a friendlier part of the world.

"We're sick of the bickering so we have decided to shift the holy site to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania," a spokesman for the White Roadhouse said. "I am sure the baby Jesus and his pals will be much safer there and happier too."

The actual site of the birth in the U.S. is a closely guarded secret, though the spokesman did say there had been a problem finding an actual manger so authorities had been forced to improvise.

"I cannot say too much," he said, "because the whole thing has been coded baby-poo yellow. But it is true we have tweaked a few Christmas carols to fit in with our new vision. ‘Away in a Manger’, for instance, has become Away in a McDonald's Happy Meal. ‘Hark the Herald Angels Sing’ has become Hark the Herald Tribune Paperboy Cries, and so on."

The spokesman, who refused to be named, rejected any suggestion that moving the birth-site was sacrilegious.

"Hey, we're the most God-fearing nation on earth," he said. "Even God is afraid of us. Or He should be.

"It does not matter to us if we do not have the support of the United Nations on this. Heck, we reserve the right to do what's best for our own citizens. And I think you'll find that God is on our side.Why else would He bless America so often?"
Old 12-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Here's what I think about politics:

......that about covers it
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Bipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Here's what I think about politics:

(ed: lots of empty space here)

......that about covers it
If only fanatics feel strongly enough to get out and participate, then you end up with a government run by the fanatics. Saying nothing, voicing no opinion, is always interpreted as implied agreement and consent.

Guess that means in translation that you are quite happy and content with the political situation as it now stands.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I Couldnt do any better. Besides, if I wanted the government to be exactly the way I wanted it...odds are Id be stepping on SOMEONES toes, weather I meant to or not, and thatd be kinda swlfish, no?
I have food, a house, a car, and clothes. As long as that happens, and Im also not a slave, the government is doin alright
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-16-2005, 08:31 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Id like to get married sometime, yanno.
Id like that to be allowed sometime. I think everyone deserves to be happy.

Some things could definitely stand to be changed, but its all unfortunately just a viscious cycle.

That doesnt stop me from doing my part. Whoever is going to **** up peoples lives the least gets my vote...

Last edited by Mike621; 12-16-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
And I begin to wonder if that truly is part of the plan, to inspire fear in order to bring people to heel and keep them better under control. If so, then it is just another example of not learning from history.

One Mr. Hitler, and several other infamous characters throughout the epochs have subjected the planet to their grand designs. These cultural upheavals unfolded over years, if not decades. Now that history is as instant as a TV dinner due to Bill Gates, I wonder how many of our more revered past leaders & presidents would have survived the daily assault of today's polls & blogisphere mentality. Would Honest Abe have lived even long enough to have met Mr. Booth if a Cindy Sheehan in gingham could have invaded every household 24/7 with portraits & resumes every fallen yankee & rebel who lifted a rifle? Perhaps our lack of historical hindsight is "a good thing" (thanks, Martha), & this century's demand for "results NOW", will somehow lead us all to world peace & paradise.

But I doubt it.

Ron (Could be whistlin' Dixie).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Which manual is "that" in??

"applecrananabanaberryblastface"

I have dranked so many Rum and Cokes tonight, I repeated that like 40 times.

Oh yeah.... Hijacking... sorry.

Bush is a jerk.

Thaer we go.. tack on brack agin. Hikup!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 12-17-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621
Id like to get married sometime, yanno.
Id like that to be allowed sometime. I think everyone deserves to be happy.

Some things could definitely stand to be changed, but its all unfortunately just a viscious cycle.

That doesnt stop me from doing my part. Whoever is going to **** up peoples lives the least gets my vote...

As long as they like Rum and Cokes... If they don't... well they just don't deserve you.

Your my best bud. Hikup!!

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
And I begin to wonder if that truly is part of the plan, to inspire fear in order to bring people to heel and keep them better under control. If so, then it is just another example of not learning from history.

One Mr. Hitler, and several other infamous characters throughout the epochs have subjected the planet to their grand designs. These cultural upheavals unfolded over years, if not decades. Now that history is as instant as a TV dinner due to Bill Gates, I wonder how many of our more revered past leaders & presidents would have survived the daily assault of today's polls & blogisphere mentality. Would Honest Abe have lived even long enough to have met Mr. Booth if a Cindy Sheehan in gingham could have invaded every household 24/7 with portraits & resumes every fallen yankee & rebel who lifted a rifle? Perhaps our lack of historical hindsight is "a good thing" (thanks, Martha), & this century's demand for "results NOW", will somehow lead us all to world peace & paradise.

But I doubt it.

Ron (Could be whistlin' Dixie).
Hitler was NOT a German!! He was born in Austria. I never knew how much I did NOT know about American politics till I spent some time with a 'Nationalized' former subject of the crown! His quote, " It isn't perfect, but it sure beats the HELL out of what comes second". ( on American politics)

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 12-18-2005, 06:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser
Hitler was NOT a German!! He was born in Austria.
Adolf Hitler might have been born in Germany and not, as long believed, in the small Austrian border town of Braunau, a German author says.

Egon Fein, a historian who has just published a book on the Nazi dictator, said on Friday that in his research he found indications Hitler was born north of the Austrian town of Braunau in the German town Simbach.

This could be an explosive issue for Germans and Austrians who have long tried to push Hitler's nationality off onto each other.

Hitler's father was an Austrian customs officer at the border with the only recently created Germany at Braunau.

On the day Hitler was born - April 20, 1889 - his mother Klara went to the customs office to bring him dinner, Fein told Reuters.

"She didn't meet him on the Austrian side of the border but on the other side of the Inn River in Bavaria," Fein, a Nuremberg journalist and historian, wrote in his book "Hitler's Weg nach Nuernberg" (Hitler's path to Nuremberg).

She was on the Bavarian side of the river when she was suddenly rushed to hospital in Simbach for an emergency delivery, said Fein, whose findings were also published in Germany's top-selling Bild newspaper this week.

Fein said local residents have passed down the story that the parents took the infant to Braunau hours after the birth to avoid bureaucratic problems, and said he was born in Braunau.

"This story may sound sensational indeed but I believe it is possible, even if I cannot prove it with documents," Fein said. "No documents exist about Hitler's birth because he destroyed everything.

"Nobody will ever know what really happened," added Fein, who has published several books. "It is not unlikely, however, that he was actually born in Bavaria."

During his research Fein interviewed a Catholic priest named Alois Duerlinger who told him about the story, which has been passed down through the generations from local church officials.

"The story is quite plausible," Duerlinger told Reuters. He said he had heard it from a now dead priest.

"Many women gave birth while labouring in the fields," he said. "To avoid bureaucratic complications with the authorities the birth location was often changed in the official papers."

Hitler joined the Bavarian Army at the start of World War One in 1914. Hitler officially became a German citizen in 1932.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Just Got Another Funny Email About Your President

A man died and went to heaven. As he stood in front of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates, he saw a huge wall of clocks behind him.

He asked, "What are all those clocks?"

St. Peter answered, "Those are Lie-Clocks. Everyone on Earth has a Lie-Clock. Every time you lie the hands on your clock will move."

Oh," said the man, "whose clock is that?"

That's Mother Teresa's. The hands have never moved, indicating that she never told a lie."

Incredible," said the man. "And whose clock is that one?"

St. Peter responded, "That's Abraham Lincoln's clock. The hands have moved twice, telling us that Abe told only two lies in his entire life."

Where's President Bush's clock?" asked the man.

Bush's clock is in Jesus' office. He's using it as a ceiling fan."

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Certified Porschephile

That one goes around. I remember when slick willie was in office. His was used in the kitchen as a fan.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 PM

ehhh, they all lie. The only difference is in who's favor the lies fall under. With Clinton, his biggest lie was when he was trying to get away with screwing an intern. I didn't care, and most people didn't. World leaders were chuckling while he stuttered and sweated. But a republican controlled house? Stand by!! They lasso'd him with an impeachment.

With Bush, his biggest lie is trying to get away with screwing everybody... I care... most do. The majority of the world is ticked off at us. But with a republican controlled house? He'll walk away.

The fan joke is funny. The reality is extremely sad.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Just got the funniest email ever!!!

oops cheers
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: