SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-27-2005, 05:44 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Unhappy electrical gremlin

i was sitting at a traffic light this morning and i had my headlights on and my vent fan on med. when i suddenly heard the fan die down and when i looked up everything was real dim and the car was idling rough and my air bag light flickered on just a little bit for a second. everything was fine again when i got moving but when i got home and stopped the idle wouldn't drop below 1000 till i shut it off and restarted it and it idled at 600 like always and i couldn't get the problem to happen again no matter what i tried. something smelt hot when i popped the hood too. any help guys?
Old 08-28-2005, 06:51 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Unhappy

well that's scary. no replies.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Unhappy

i recently had another gremlin show itself one day. i went to start the car and when i turned the key to start, everything died for a second my clock set to 1:00 and everything popped on when i let go of the key. then it just started up and ran fine and has sincesomething elde scary was i was helping jump a friends battery this morning and when i was trying to crank on his car we heard a lod pop from my car it was loud enough to kinda stun us both and make us look over.(of course anything could stun you after 12 hours in a factory) but no problems and running fine other than need o2 sensors. when the car lost power the funny thing is the radio kept it's settings.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Superbeast

Well I would check out the battery and charging system first. Some times with Subaru the charging lights will never come on when the car is not charging, I don't know why but it's pretty damn annoying.

Just the other day I went to go shopping in the 93 Imprezza that I've been trying to put together for the past year, I got to a stop light and turned on the turn signal and the radio shut off I then went through the light and started to get on the highway and hte car would not accelerate, noticed that the tach was not working at that point. I had to pull over to try and figure out what was happening, when I did I shut off the AC and blower fan and the radio and tach started working again So I left them off and the car would run better, enough to get me the store. When I got to the store I tried to roll the windows up and the they would barly move and the tach died again, at this point I had a pretty good idea of what was going on, and sure enough after I shut the car off it would not restart again It was not charging at all and the warning lights never came on.

So go get your system checked, I think Autozone does it for free or maybe even a local shop (I know my shop will check it out for you real quik with no charge) to see if you got a problem. You don't want to end up stuck at Stop and Shop with a dead car.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Smile

well, the car went to absolute crap on saturday. my electrical system went completely out and i couldn't start the car. i went out after work with a brillo pad and cleaned my pos. terminal on my battery and it fixed the whole problem. didn't realize how corroded it was ever since the alt. upgrade my battery has been producing alot of corrosion on the terminal so i guess i'll just have to keep it clean. i've never seen a car act like this over a bad terminal. gotta love it!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
well, the car went to absolute crap on saturday. my electrical system went completely out and i couldn't start the car. i went out after work with a brillo pad and cleaned my pos. terminal on my battery and it fixed the whole problem. didn't realize how corroded it was ever since the alt. upgrade my battery has been producing alot of corrosion on the terminal so i guess i'll just have to keep it clean. i've never seen a car act like this over a bad terminal. gotta love it!

Well I hope that fixes it; that is one of the benifits of having a sealed battery mounted behind the seat......no corosion.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Well I hope that fixes it; that is one of the benifits of having a sealed battery mounted behind the seat......no corosion.

yeah, i'm probally gonna get an altima red top and put it in the trunk over this winter.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Optima. Don't go around asking for an Altima battery you'll regret it.

If corrosion is a worry for you just get some uncorrodable terminals. Any good car audio place should have those gold and silver ones, and probably the red top as well. They are pretty common these days.

You're experience may vary but mine look pretty much like when I bought them a couple years ago, cept someone lost one of my caps. I can't believe new caps are like $15.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Red face

my bad. i wasn't paying attention to my spelling i guess.