Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
bah! Knock sensor problem search....

Okay, So I got a code a while back for my knock sensor, bank 1, sensor 1. which equates to the drivers side, or back sensor failing. my car has over 100k on it so I figured that it was probably just the sensor. bought one from tomssvx, finally had some time to put it in today (which was really not hard at all... other than the 95 degree weather)

Put it in, and while i was working on it, i had the battery disconnected, put everything back together start the car... and NO CEL.... drive for 10 minutes.... CEL is back, have the code read, its the same one as before. bank one sensor one.....

I'm going to try and have the codes cleared (however if it wasn't on when i started the car... i think it was already "cleared"), however what else can i check? the sensor i took out looks good to tell you the truth, and its not like a knock sensor is a very complicated sensor... its just a microphone.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 AM
red95svx

Was the sensor used? Could be that it was bad. Faulty wiring to the sensor can throw a code also. I shouldn't even have to ask about premium gas, right?

Dave
Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
Was the sensor used? Could be that it was bad. Faulty wiring to the sensor can throw a code also. I shouldn't even have to ask about premium gas, right?

Dave
no, premium gas has always been used... and that wouldn't throw a fault code for 4 months either

The knock sensor i took out looked fine, the one i put in was used, however it was fine on toms car so i'm going to assume its not the sensor... how do you get to the wiring? does anyone have the service manual list of things to check in order? Because that wiring is a ***** to get to, and if thats not it... i'd like to know what else it might be.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
What is peculiar is that the light came on for a knock sensor. First time I've heard of that, the code is usually stored but without turning the light on. Any other codes?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
That happened to me (and started my thread about the electrical gremlin here: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...trical+gremlin

The CE light came on in my 96 and the OBDII reader at the Subaru dealer said it was Knock Sensor 1. They put a new one in, cleared the codes and the CE light was out for about a week. Its going back into another dealer to check it out. I hope I wasn't ripped off for a sensor I didn't need

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
What is peculiar is that the light came on for a knock sensor. First time I've heard of that, the code is usually stored but without turning the light on. Any other codes?

Yeah, thats the only code its throwing... i'm confused out of my mind... can't think of what it could possibly be... unless its the wiring...

svxcess... please keep me informed!!! i also have an OBDII 96 so any new clues for me to check out would be extremely helpful

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-04-2005, 09:55 AM

Some problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Yeah, thats the only code its throwing... i'm confused out of my mind... can't think of what it could possibly be... unless its the wiring...

svxcess... please keep me informed!!! i also have an OBDII 96 so any new clues for me to check out would be extremely helpful
I have simmilar problem to the one you described, when I start the car (not always) it sends a code 22 (Knock Sensor) and check engine light stays when idle, at higher rpm it goes away (strange). In my opinion the problem is somewhere else. Would it be that the sensor detects too many detonations and throws a code? "abnormal operation" doesn't necessarily mean a bad sensor.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Knock sensors will trigger a CE light. On the select monitor, a bad knock sensor 1 will throw a 22 code and the knock sensor 2 code will be a 28.

The SVX Master Tech at my dealership said there was a TSB issued in late 1995 for the 1992-1995 SVX for inoperative knock sensor issues. It can be found here: http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../42748280.html

My CE problem turned out to be a disconnected vacuum hose at the pressure sensor (solenoid valve), located at the far left corner of the engine bay on the side of the left strut tower. It is a small black plastic piece with the PN 14774AA500 in white across the top. There is a small vacuum line which comes out of the rear, right by the horizontal, aluminum piping on the firewall.
We zip-tied in in place to make sure it wouldn't happen again.

He ran the codes and immediately knew what the problem was. Fixed in in less than 5 minutes. This is the second time in a row he come through with flying colors!!

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 08-05-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Poor College Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Knock sensors will trigger a CE light. On the select monitor, a bad knock sensor 1 will throw a 22 code and the knock sensor 2 code will be a 28.

The SVX Master Tech at my dealership said there was a TSB issued in late 1995 for the 1992-1995 SVX for inoperative knock sensor issues. It can be found here: http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../42748280.html

My CE problem turned out to be a disconnected vacuum hose at the pressure sensor (solenoid valve), located at the far left corner of the engine bay on the side of the left strut tower. It is a small black plastic piece with the PN 14774AA500 in white across the top. There is a small vacuum line which comes out of the rear, right by the horizontal, aluminum piping on the firewall.

He ran the codes and immediately knew what the problem was. Fixed in in less than 5 minutes. This is the second time in a row he come through with flying colors!!

Was this on your 96?? I'm confused, cause OBDII cars don't throw those codes, nor came in 95 or older cars... I'll look anyway... can't hurt.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 08-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Sorry, I was in error in posting those codes from the Subaru Select Monitor. I have a 1996 LSi with 88,000 miles; OBDII

The tech ran the codes and captured a freeze frame on the select monitor of all of the values for each component checked. The only code that showed up as abnormal (thus triggering the CE light) was P0106 (Pressure Sources Switching Solenoid Valve). For this item The FSM 96 supplement said check the vacuum hose.

All the other codes were normal. The code for knock sensor 1 is P0325. The code for knock sensor 2 is P0330.

The FSM says the procedure is the same to troubleshoot both sensors:

1. Check harness between knock sensor and ECM connector
2) Check knock sensor
3) Check input signal for ECM

(The 1996 FSM Supplement is a valuable book to have. It goes into a great amount of detail on the OBDII system, checking codes with the Select Monitor and how to remove and reinstall most of these components. The PN for this manual is MSA5T9605A)

Old 08-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I hope all works out for you. I do have another sensor if you need it. They were not faulty when I had them installed on my own vehicle.

Tom
Old 08-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Did you have code 22 or 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess

Old 08-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The code was P0325 (knock sensor 1) on my 96 OBDII. On the earlier models, you would get a code 22 for the same faulty sensor.