IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Send a message via AIM to SvXSubaru92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87f383
I don't know if the EG33 has an EGR valve and its respective hardware... but it could be a possible culprit. If we have one that is...
Ok, What is a EG33, and a ERG, lol, to many abbreviations.

Quote:
you and i have the exact same problem. Im eagerly waiting to hear what everyone has to say b/c i've had this problem for quite some time now minus the bad gas...
I am also eagerly waiting. (very)

Quote:
Unfortunatly, I have no suggestions for the rough idle, but from your sound clip, it sounds like one of your idler pulley bearings are failing. I just had the AC idler fail on mine, so I remember what it sounded like for the last several months.
Thanks for listening and noticing, I'll try to listen.

I still think its wierd that I'll disconnect some injector wire, and NO change at all. As I sad before, voltage to the injector, fuel gets there, ignition, air gets there(hopefully, i dont think the intake can get clogged), is all present. Other injectors cause the engine to die. Another thing I forgot to say, is this engine has no go in Drive. Revs up verrry slowly. I'm thinking timing belt, but we checked and it looks correctly set. I'm gona count for 53 teeth when i get time. Looking forward to advice, Thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXSubaru92
Ok, What is a EG33, and a ERG, lol, to many abbreviations.

The EG33 is the engine in your SVX

The EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve... if it gets stuck/broke or the selonoid the ECM uses to control it gets stuck/broke... the car will run like crap.
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Alluminum Drive Pulley *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-Small Car Clear Lenses and Corners
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns
*Thanks Dayle! (SVX Motorsports)

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
-Enough (Once I put it back together again)
Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
The EG33 is the engine in your SVX

The EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve... if it gets stuck/broke or the selonoid the ECM uses to control it gets stuck/broke... the car will run like crap.
Hmm, where is this thing located, could an o2 sensor cause the same type of activity? Thanks
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Hmm, where is this thing located, could an o2 sensor cause the same type of activity? Thanks

No... O2 sensors would most likely cause problems w/ erratic readings when the ECM goes to closed loop operations...relying on it for fuel trim purposes. IE, once the car is warmed up and a few other parameters are met. Your problem is not an 02 sensor.

I believe there is a metal tube coming up from the passenger exhaust manifold.. follow it to its termination (prolly under intake)... should be the EGR valve. They are known to get quite dirty w/ age.

Have you run a compression test or anything of that nature yet? It can never hurt to know what shape she's in. And its pretty simple...
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
Old 08-10-2005, 09:09 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
No... O2 sensors would most likely cause problems w/ erratic readings when the ECM goes to closed loop operations...relying on it for fuel trim purposes. IE, once the car is warmed up and a few other parameters are met. Your problem is not an 02 sensor.

I believe there is a metal tube coming up from the passenger exhaust manifold.. follow it to its termination (prolly under intake)... should be the EGR valve. They are known to get quite dirty w/ age.

Have you run a compression test or anything of that nature yet? It can never hurt to know what shape she's in. And its pretty simple...
Ok, is the ERG valve big? What does it look like? Is it flat and silver looking? Would it require taking the intake off?, I'm preaty clever with taking stuff off under there, (lol). I did a compresion test on the RH side, and they were all over 150, Its not 100% correct because I couldn't tighten the tester fitting in the spark plug hole.

Edit: I did a whole search of the forum and not one thread about an ERG valve except this one.

Last edited by SvXSubaru92; 08-10-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, is the ERG valve big? What does it look like? Is it flat and silver looking? Would it require taking the intake off?, I'm preaty clever with taking stuff off under there, (lol). I did a compresion test on the RH side, and they were all over 150, Its not 100% correct because I couldn't tighten the tester fitting in the spark plug hole.

Edit: I did a whole search of the forum and not one thread about an ERG valve except this one.

You might be able to use your emmision plumbing/vacuum routing sticker (underside of hood) to help you locate it... The EGR Vacuum Selonoid is near the fuel pressure regulator under the passenger side of intake manifold. The EGR Valve should be somewhere near there... with a hard metal pipe running down to the exhaust manifold. That's about all the help on location I can offer... as I can't see it from top or bottom of engine... so its gotta be in there somewhere...
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
Old 08-12-2005, 10:36 AM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
You might be able to use your emmision plumbing/vacuum routing sticker (underside of hood) to help you locate it... The EGR Vacuum Selonoid is near the fuel pressure regulator under the passenger side of intake manifold. The EGR Valve should be somewhere near there... with a hard metal pipe running down to the exhaust manifold. That's about all the help on location I can offer... as I can't see it from top or bottom of engine... so its gotta be in there somewhere...
After reading this article,it seems that this thing might be the problem.

Quote:
It's really pretty simple - it can be open when it isn't supposed to be, or it can be closed when it is supposed to be open. Not rocket science, but it is science. If it is open when it is not supposed to be open, at idle for instance, It will act like one monster vacuum leak and the engine will not idle or will idle really roughly. If it doesn't open when it is supposed to open you will probably experience a symptom of "pinging" or "knocking" since the combustion chamber temperature will be higher than normal (one of the main causes of pinging in an engine).
I got the pinging sometimes, I'll check it out. I though this valve was called ERG, woops, I searched EGR and much more info, Thanks.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:16 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Unfortunatly, I have no suggestions for the rough idle, but from your sound clip, it sounds like one of your idler pulley bearings are failing. I just had the AC idler fail on mine, so I remember what it sounded like for the last several months.

Doug
Thats my PS pump, I'll check that out later.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:22 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
Cleaning the EGR kinda helped.

BUT...... Other problems still continue, injector problem (i disconect cable, nothing happens), and the lack of power, my timing is set right, I counted the 53 notches both sides.

Another thing this engine was doing that interested me. After I drove it a bit, I put it in park, and it would just idle at 2100 rpm , constantly, no up or down. The engine wasn't cold, so im wondering if its normal. Thanks all.

Slawek

Last edited by SvXSubaru92; 08-15-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:18 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

I recorded a video(of my svx problems) if anyone is interested at all, or bored.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

_________ttt_______
Old 08-16-2005, 04:52 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Did you play with the throttle cable and reduce the slack in the cable? I had mine too tight once and my idle was above 2000 for awhile until I added a minor amount of slack back into the cable to bring the rpms down.

But I can't answer why it would be a higher idle after driving it for awhile.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you've been cleaning/adjusting things your idle may get messed up for a few run cycles. It will return to "normal" after it re-learns.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:24 PM
1992 Subaru SvX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
If you've been cleaning/adjusting things your idle may get messed up for a few run cycles. It will return to "normal" after it re-learns.
I hope thats the problem, but it still idle's rough.

I still think its wierd that when I unplug an injector wire, there is no difference in engine speed, only one of the 6 injector cables being disconnected will cause the engine to die, wierd? Or is this normal? And then engine revs SLOW, from 1200 to 3000, half throttle, probably around 10 seconds. Are there any hidden vacuum hoses that aren't clearly visibile that might be bad?

I've done this stuff to the car since i've got the cam in:

Cleaned TB
Cleaned some valve thing (forgot name) under the TB
Cleaned the auxillary bypass valve
Cleaned EGR valve
Changed spark plugs
Changed Air filter
Soaked MAF in vinigar
Replaced TPS (throttle pos sensor)
Timing is correct

School starts soon so I'm going to take it to our shop and see what the teacher has to say, one of them has an outback, maybe he'll know something.

Last edited by SvXSubaru92; 08-17-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 AM
Liquor Assassin

Quote:
Ok, I replaced the plugs and air filter anyway. I checked the code, 24, bypass air control valve. So I take off the TB, take off the air control valve, clean it, put it on still runs the same as before but check engine isnt coming on, I have recorded how it runs. Here is an explanation of what is happening in this Sound clip I recorded

Engine starts
Idles low and rough
Rev to 3000, let off gas
Idles automatically at 2000 for about 3-4 seconds
Idles rough at about 500, almost stoping
Rev to 3000 again
Idles at 2000
Goes down to below 500 where I just stoped it manually.

Sometimes it barely runs that all the dash lights come on like before you start the car. When it is struggling to run there is a ticking noise, it sounds like it might be the control valve, but it sounds like a valve or lifter. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Slawek
that sounds like my car like a year ago, the last time it ran :-(, also, the bug sounds in the backround sound like the bug sounds here