Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Re: read benebob

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

I didn't mean you sit on the car's floor, but rqther you find a lighter seat... as i have mentioned before, the SVX's major weight comes from the driver seat, the doors, the bumpers and the hood...
Danny, as I stated I'd be saving about 10lbs for the price of a decent racing seat over the L seat. Ever pick one up? After picking up a leather Drivers seat you'd be ready to carry the L seat on your nose . Hood actually isn't all that heavy as far as hoods go. I know my XT hood is heavier as was my Brat hood. Granted its a good 40-50 lbs but that is livable for now, there are plenty of other stuff that can disappear. Who needs 2 bolts holding down every stinking bracket anyways? Doors are the next thing to tackle. First the windows go then we'll probably hollow out the inside shell, outside needs to stay though.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:43 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I think you are going to be surprised when you hit the scales. The SV-Rex is further stripped than your car and still tips the scales at about 2800 (I think- it's been a while since we weighed in). I'm betting you are at about 2900- 3000.

Have you raced her yet? What type of racing are you prepping for?

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 02-12-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
I think you are going to be surprised when you hit the scales. The SV-Rex is further stripped than your car and still tips the scales at about 2800 (I think- it's been a while since we weighed in). I'm betting you are at about 2900- 3000.

Have you raced her yet? What type of racing are you prepping for?
Just wondering what have done to lighten it another 100-200 pounds off of his.?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:27 PM

-Under dash- completely gutted. (heater core, A/C components, ductwork, glovebox, etc)
-ALL spare metal- brackets, wiring, hoses, screws, etc. ground off, cut off, etc.
-ALL sound deadening scraped off, both under the car and in the interior (boy was that a PAIN!).
-Side windows (and all related hardware) removed.
-Interior sheet metal cut out (for example, the doors are now the exterior skins ONLY, no interior metal structure).
-Hood and trunk framing ground off (only skin remaining). Hinges gone (held on by fastening pins).
-Smaller tires.
-Under carriage and engine detailing (sounds funny, but most of us are probably carrying around 50 lbs. of dirt and grease on the bottom of our cars. We put it on a lift and detailed every bit).

There are a few things we have added- Nitrous system, strut tower reinforcing, 5-point harness, lateral reinforcing and harness attachment bar.

I think the net result is a bit less. I'll be corner balancing in a few weeks, and I'll report back.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC

Last edited by svxhunter; 02-12-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:34 PM

Benebob:

Will you be adding a rollcage? The inner shell of the door adds a lot more strenght than you probably think. They are pretty flimsy when you gut them. We don't yet have a cage, but think it is probably worthwhile at this time.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 PM

BTW: We tried the Lexan sunroof thing. Combined with the large SVX glass area and no A/C, it was like being a bug under a magnifying glass. We took it out and put back the sunroof with no guts. Welding it in place would have been best.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 PM

Was wondering when you'd find the thread SVXhunter. You still had the bumper beams in yours didn't ya? Those are gone on ours. Easy 80lbs. Real hollow nice sound now. It will eventually get a cage but probably not this year. This year is pretty much just autoxing but we'd like to move into Solo 1 in the future.

Yesterday was the first the engine ran under our ownership.

As for the sunroof, the lexan would be smoked not just clear which should help a bit. Sunroof is gone though now.

As for the weight, that's a guess based on what has disappeared to this point.

Did you leave on the "quiet steel" crap or peel it off? Doesn't seem all that heavy to me.

Got it on Jack stands now so I'll be soon looking at what can be done to the underside.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Was wondering when you'd find the thread SVXhunter.
Guess I'm getting a reputation for being Mr. Stripped Out, huh?

No bumper beams- they disappeared a long time ago. The stock exhaust is also gone- straight pipes.

What are you referring to as "quiet steel"? Is that what I am calling sound deadening (hard rubbery plastic stuff in the trunk, etc.)? We scraped all that stuff off a couple months ago. What a pain!! Definitely NOT worth the effort unless you are completely obssesive and anal about weight.

We've found autoxing to be a bit of a pain in terms of what classes we get put in. Because of the rarity of the SVX, it's not listed in the SCCA rules. Each venue seems to treat us a bit different. We've heard "Just run it as Street Mod (SM), since you haven't touched the motor" (We won that day!!), but we had to run Full Prepared (FP) the last time we ran at the Subaru Challenge. That put us up against some of the most serious cars there that day, including the 450 hp STI Porter was driving. Needless to say, we were NOT in the winner's circle that day! I think to be a serious winner in an SVX would mean running in FP class with a power adder (Turbo or Supercharger). It would have to be a full race car. But ANYONE can have a whole lot of fun, even if they don't win!

I'm not well versed in the Solo 1 rules. Actually, I'm not too good at the Solo 2 rules either!

Let me know if you find anything interesting underneath. I've put ours on the lift and mostly lost the heat shields, stock exhaust, brackets, and belly pan (plus LOTS of dirt!!).

Good luck with your project!!

Any chance you can get it running by the first of April? It would be a riot to have 2 SVXii entered in the GRM Challenge!!

Old 02-12-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter

We've found autoxing to be a bit of a pain in terms of what classes we get put in. Because of the rarity of the SVX, it's not listed in the SCCA rules. Each venue seems to treat us a bit different. We've heard "Just run it as Street Mod (SM), since you haven't touched the motor" (We won that day!!), but we had to run Full Prepared (FP) the last time we ran at the Subaru Challenge. That put us up against some of the most serious cars there that day, including the 450 hp STI Porter was driving. Needless to say, we were NOT in the winner's circle that day! I think to be a serious winner in an SVX would mean running in FP class with a power adder (Turbo or Supercharger). It would have to be a full race car. But ANYONE can have a whole lot of fun, even if they don't win!

There is no Full Prepared SCCA class, the SVX falls into E Prepared as it is not listed anywhere in their classifications outside of G Stock BUT Subaru Sedans not otherwise classified are E Prepared. Now I know you're thinking that the SVX isn't a sedan but by the definition from the SCCA it is. Any vehicle with seating for 4 is a sedan. Makes it easy. Not that this is much more help, the BMW 2002 is in the class if I remember correctly. Very simple and by the book, at least for the 92s as they made over 3k of them for the world.

Technically the car "could" run anytime now as soon as it takes in more gas than it is leaking. Problem is we have yet to find a decent, cheaper trailer for it. Besides, it still isn't exactly pretty.

Yeah, the quiet steel is that plasticy crap. We chipped a bit off and didn't think it would be worth the time. Better off finding 40 bolts that really aren't needed.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:45 PM

Now that you mention it, you are right. They classified us as E-Prepared, but we were the only entry in our class so we had to run with the FP.

I love the SVX, but it would have a hard time running against a BMW 2002 (at least on stock suspension).

Old 02-12-2005, 05:59 PM
no limitation as limitation

i feel as if a thousand subaru svxis cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthewmongan
i feel as if a thousand subaru svxis cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
Why's that, no one on this board wanted to undertake the care needed to bring these puppies back to life. They were both destined to make scrap steel for Detroit. They have a much better life now and at least I'm more than willing to share parts I don't need with those in need.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:16 PM

Oh no, MM, forgivith the wound, I beseech thee!!

If it makes it any better, besides the SV-Rex, I've also got a really beautiful '92 Claret LS-L that we treat like the gem that it truly is!!

Also- Don't know if you know the story of the SV-Rex, but she was in line to be crushed at a junkyard when I bought her. Racing is not the life intended for SVXis, but it sure beats being crushed!!

So I kind of prefer to think of it as giving her a new (albeit different) life, rather than the destruction she was fated for.

That probably doesn't really make it any better, does it?

Old 02-12-2005, 06:16 PM
no limitation as limitation

forgot the wink face. i would probably do the same thing if i had $$ and a few svx's. but still seeing a guted svx part of me is sad. but that will change when i see it on SPEED TV.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:17 PM

Pick up the next issue of SubieSport. There should be a feature on the SV-Rex.