How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-21-2004, 06:32 PM
The Molinator

REAR BEARING.......yikes!

I told you it was getting worse....quickly...

Check this out! .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear2.jpg (191.8 KB, 245 views)
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It's like trying to drive a nail with the hammer sitting on the nailhead. Not much happens until a little clearance occurs and allows some 'swing' room, when that happens the nail starts moving quickly.

Looks like lube failure, what condition were the seals in? Oops - strike that, they had to be destroyed after that much heat and motion.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:45 AM
The Molinator

Why did you have to mention that, Beav!

Why did you have to remind me.....(that I forgot to order the seals with the bearings.....and didn't notice til I had the hub out!)

ALRIGHT!...YES!....I REPLACED THE OLD SEALS!.........now are you happy.....go ahead and YELL AT ME! (SENILE OLD FART, etc.)

Well, they looked OK....and I baby'd them out ....but,of course, they must be damaged (not like we both thot tho!)...

I used Redline red high-temp grease.....maybe I didn't get a good thorough press of grease....or maybe the degreaser I used to get the shipping grease off last time (water-based) interfered with the new grease at that time...?

BUT...this bearing worked fine for about two years ....then suddenly (and rapidly, as you can see) degraded starting about September this year...

SOUNDS LIKE A NEW CAR NOW!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 12-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
guys, a curious (and for some stupid) question, how you know your bearings need replacement? does it show any physical symptoms? a certain sound? ... help ?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:42 AM
The Molinator

sound?

A GROWLING SOUND....usually from the rear bearings...

Mine started sounding like a tank badly in need of repair...

You need a ($200) HubTamer tool if you do it yourself.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: sound?

Quote:
Originally posted by James Scott
A GROWLING SOUND....usually from the rear bearings...

Mine started sounding like a tank badly in need of repair...

You need a ($200) HubTamer tool if you do it yourself.

mine is doing a little sound same as a rusty door (or like you see in the movies, the carriage which has one unaligned metal wheel making a rusty sound).....something

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:22 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear
guys, a curious (and for some stupid) question, how you know your bearings need replacement? does it show any physical symptoms? a certain sound? ... help ?
Its always described as a loud roar from the back of the car which gets louder as the bearings get worse.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93

Its always described as a loud roar from the back of the car which gets louder as the bearings get worse.
mmm, I guess it needs a closer look...

Old 12-22-2004, 10:26 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It can also sound like you've got snow tires on the back....
Best way to be sure is to get the car up on a rack and use a stethescope to listen to the bearings - this way you'll know which one is actually making the noise.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
awww crap...I made the snow tire comparison last night but now you get credit for it I accidentally posted it in the thread about steel braided brake lines. Whoops! Anyway...I think that's the best comparison...a bad wheel bearing sounds like you've got some knobby 44" tires off a big ol' truck. One day it will just be a fait roar, but as time passes it will get louder and louder. It should also sound louder in the cabin if you put the rear seat down. Finally, from my experience, it's louder at certain speeds than others, and really gets loud at <10mph under braking.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-22-2004, 11:42 PM

Does anyone in California know where I could rent a Hubtamer? Does Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, or any other big chain rent one? If not an auto parts place, is there a chain machine rental place that rents one? (I'm in Orange County, if anyone knows of a specific place here.)
Old 12-23-2004, 01:19 AM
The Molinator

RENT HubTamer.....?

Wish you were closer.....I'd be glad to let you borrow mine.....I use it once every 2 or 3 years! BUT...Fresno is too far away.....and this thing is HEAVY!....TOO HEAVY TO SHIP!

Hopefully, someone from the network will pop up down there in the L.A. area....?

Good Luck!

P.S. I didn't find anyone renting here....that's why I bought... off eBay...

Last edited by James Scott; 12-23-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:50 AM
You're mine!!

Send a message via AIM to rob_4187
I recently started hearing a clicking noise in my wheels and just as i thought, it was the wheel bearings. The shop wants $600 to do it but my dad insists that its easy to do and i can get the parts for about $60, but he is in North Carolina right now. How hard is it to do by yourself (given you have all the right tools)?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob_4187
How hard is it to do by yourself (given you have all the right tools)?
That depends on how accomplished a mechanic you are. It's probably not something you'd want to tackle unless you know what you're doing. Do a search; there's probably enough material here on wheel bearing replacement to keep you reading for days.

dcb
Old 12-31-2004, 02:11 AM
The Molinator

NOT too Hard!.....

I'm a "shade-tree mechanic".....I pick others brains, then do (basically) what they convince me is best.....I'm very mechanically inclined...But, a little (more like ALOT) like the "absent-minded professor......SOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo.....

I'd say .....medium difficulty....BUT...like anything...First time's alot tougher than 2nd or 3rd times......

For example, I believe the HubTamer says to press out outer bearing race from upright...toward the center of the car....? ....BUT....in fact....IT NEEDS TO BE PRESSED OUT TOWARD THE WHEEL SIDE OF THE UPRIGHT [IN THE DIRECTION OF THE BEARING SNAP RING RETAINER].... This might be a no brainer for most.....but I'm the type that might do what the directions indicated....AND RUIN THE UPRIGHT...OR?]