How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-02-2001, 09:46 PM
IA SVX

Question Low speed turn & clunk

Maybe some words of wisdom from out there in the ether?
From a dead stop, when accelerating gently, particually in a turn, I'm experiencing several "clunks" until I straighten out and get moving. Probably some type of backlash in the rear drive/joints, but would like to hear counsel from all you guru's.No bearing noise, (been there, replaced that)
Any comments on actions to take along with representative costs?

thx from the cornfields.
Old 11-02-2001, 10:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
It's most likely your CV joints.. I had the same problem.. Bought new CV shafts (part number 7346) and had the local garage install them and no problems since!
Old 11-03-2001, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Give us a better definition of the noise

If it is a lower pitched "clunk" like you stated in your message and you can feel the car shake or shudder it is probably whats known as the transfer clutches (I'm assuming you have an AWD version, not FWD). The transfer clutch assembly is part of the transmission and costs about $1000 to replace (just had mine done, but it was covered under warranty)
If the noise is more rattle-like, I agree with Zeppelin.
Old 11-03-2001, 10:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The CV joints in the front of my car made a snapping noise when I turned corners and accelerated. They were bad and I replaced them myself.
If the noise is from the back it could be a bad transfer valve that locks the car in AWD or it could be the bad clutches. It could also be the transfer piston sliding back and forth but corners shouldn't make any difference with that. Only on or off the throttle even in a straight line could bang the piston back and forth. It isn't supposed to be loud enough to hear and might mean the transfer solenoid is wearing out.
Does your power light blink after the car starts?
Old 11-03-2001, 11:31 AM
Zombie

My CVs are going south in a bad way... what should I expect to pay for them?
Old 11-03-2001, 05:09 PM
IA SVX

Thanks for the replies. Yes, its AWD. Would not it be a fair test to remove the fuse, turning it into a FWD and see if it does the same thing? I would think the the same clunk would happen if it's the rear CV joints and not happen if it's the transfer valves/clutches.

OBTW, I've got a 96 and have yet to see this mythical "Power Light" did they leave it out this last year of production?
Old 11-03-2001, 06:04 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Does the "Power light" come on when the car is first turned on? Maybe the bulb is burned. If the light is working, when the car is turned on, then to get it into power mode, you stomp real fast on the gas. But this may not be a good idea until you get your car sorted out. You may break something else by loading up the drive train.
Old 11-04-2001, 04:32 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by IA SVX
OBTW, I've got a 96 and have yet to see this mythical "Power Light" did they leave it out this last year of production?

I hate to be an anal idiot but I have to jump in. 97 was the last year and they only imported 640 into US. on 96, they imported 1111.

Sorry, had a bad night/morning.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-04-2001, 08:20 AM
The Road Less Traveled

I think the Power Light went the way of the Dodo's with the 95 model year. Not sure on exact year, but a 96 I'm pretty sure will not have the power light.

With the clunking, check to see whether your CV boots are ripped first. If they are, your CV's toast for sure. If they aren't, do tight turns in a parking lot and see if you can replicate the sound. CV's usually make a sound when making a turn, and is usually the outer side, meaning clicking from right front wheen when turning left.

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by IA SVX
Thanks for the replies. Yes, its AWD. Would not it be a fair test to remove the fuse, turning it into a FWD and see if it does the same thing? I would think the the same clunk would happen if it's the rear CV joints and not happen if it's the transfer valves/clutches.

Old 11-04-2001, 07:05 PM
IA SVX

Thumbs up

you guys have been great. Whew! I was wondering why I was "powerlight-less" only to find they never gave me one. (sounds like something from the Wiz of Oz)Thanks for the illumination, so to speak. Did not know about those 640 from '97.
Anyway, am taking the 96 to the SVX Doc and will report the sad/glad news.

from -Eye-Oh-Uh
Old 11-05-2001, 04:27 PM
Lowered SVX

from subaru.com the......

cv axles will run you $259.16 each. really not that bad. the advice above is good. it is your cv axles. i have replaced mine three times and i know that sound and scenario very well.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"